update on cricket

Neurological Disorders Resources. Treatment and care for pets having pain or trouble walking or standing due to spinal injuries or neurological disorders like IVDD, FCE and DM.
connie

update on cricket

Post by connie »

hello friends,
I told you all how great cricket was doing, walking better and everything. Well last few days he is not trying to walk much and is dragging left hind leg again. He still reacts to deep pain when i pinch him hard(trys to bite) but not walking much.
You all know my sister died and i was away from him days and some nights, he was in the care of my neighbor.
My question..... Do you think it is because i was not with him?
Did he think i wasn't coming back? When i got home , he was all over me, licking, yipping, so excited, wouldn't get off my lap for hours, so i know he missed me. My neighbor said he didn't fall, and vet says he is ok, so i am baffled. He stills gets his P.T., hyrotherapy and everything. Maybe i am just a worry wart, but he was walking so darn good before all this pain in my family.
Any advice would be welcome. My stress level is so bad right now, so many things happening in my family, that i couldn't take it if he took a back slide.
He is what makes me smile right now, My rock.
hugs from us(in hot hot Arkansas) temp of 97 today. lol
connie and cricket
spasmo

Re: update on cricket

Post by spasmo »

Connie,
I was so sorry to read about your sister. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

Our pets are so perceptive... they are in tune with us and know when we are hurting and grieving. Maybe you are seeing some of Cricket responding to your grief right now. If Cricket is like our dogs it would not surprise me if he was kind of worried when you were gone ~ but I doubt that would be causing this. I am sure he knew you were coming back to him. Our goldens have a strange sense of time. They get as excited to see us when we are gone 15 minutes or are gone all day... so I don't know what to tell you.

My best guess is that it was just being out of his normal routine while he was with your neighbors. That and the heat... I'm not to crazy about walking aroung outside right now either. The good news is that the vet says he is fine and hopefully being back with his Mom will bring things back to where they were before.

Sweetie, one step at a time... one paw at a time... one day at a time...

Best wishes!
Anna B
proud dog hair collector
Mary and Roxy

Post by Mary and Roxy »

Hi Connie
When it rains it pours dosent it .. I'm so sorry about your sister. I lost one of my sisters a few years back, only thing I find good about that is, shes now up there watching over us.As im sure yours is you.
Roxy is doing grrrreat. but she has set backs every once in a while.about a month ago we were camping, she was doing just great. intill her first trip out of the moter home she took maybe 5 steps then she sat down and her back legs wornt working again.Luckly I had thought ahead and had brought her walkabout with us..It took her about 3 days and she was up and doing good again. Every once in a while I can tell her legs get wobbly again, so far shes her old self in a couple days..I have a pretty bad back myself. and I think its gotta be like mine. some days i feel great.somedays it kills me..i'll bet that because it was hurt once. It will never really be 100% again. Cricket will be fine, he probably just over did it welcoming you home..
Hugs Mary and sloppy kiss Roxy ;o>~
karkorny

Post by karkorny »

connie, so sorry about your sister!! sometimes life can just plain stink. but the good part about life is that things always get better if we can just stick it out. i'm sure cricket just missed you and senses your stress level right now and is responding to that. take a deep breath and EXPECT THE BEST and it will happen, i'm sure. especially since he was making progress before. that tells you that neurologically things are better. i guarantee it's just emotional. again, please accept my condolences for the loss of your sister. i know the bond between siblings, even when we're not that close, and it's a great loss for you. and believe me, i understand everything rotten just happening at one time, or one after another. that's how the last few weeks were feeling to me. but right now i feel like the sun has come out again - it always does. hang in there. karen
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Hi Connie,

My dog is mainly a spinal walker and I'm amazed at how much difference little things can make in her walking. Seems like the littlest thing can be a make or break situation. If my dog is constipated, she can't walk nearly as well, and will drag a lot. It is hard to see what the connection is between constipation and walking, it makes no sense, but there seems to be one. You might also have him checked for a UTI. That is another thing that can affect my dog's walking. Hope he feels better soon.
Cindidoxiemom

Post by Cindidoxiemom »

Connie~
How are you and Cricket doing hon? Is Cricket returning to her old self? Thinking of yall!
Hugs,
Cindi
I am not a vet; please consult your vet before making any treatment decisions.

Hunter IVDD Surgery x 2~Walking
Oscar IVDD Surgery x 1~ Paralyzed
Sage and Misty
Jane Scott

Re: cricket grieving

Post by Jane Scott »

I'm sorry for your loss; I too lost my sister a few years ago and still miss her very much. I truely believe that our spirits are what our pets love the most about us because we love them so unconditionally. When are spirit is hurting so badly it's not a far stretch to believe our pets feel it too. Finding some serenity for your spirit will help cricket heal too. Connie you and cricket and your family will be in my prayers. Sincerely, Jane
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

(((Connie)))

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

I was so moved by Jane Scott's post... And I am so sad for your loss.
Keep us up to date. You are both so heartbroken right now...
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
Lethal White Aussies Rule!
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!
http://www.s8.createphpbb.com/lethalwhiteauss/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LethalWhiteAussieRescue/
ems736336

Post by ems736336 »

Connie, So very sorry about your sister. I think that it is quite possible that Crickett was so stressed by you being gone that all your baby wants to do is sit on you now and not let you get away. I also know that high humidity and temp changes of anything more than about seven degrees affects the way they feel and how much they want to move about. I would think I would give it a couple of days or more for things to start to get back to normal. My dog is greatly affected by how I feel, and how the weather is. Prayers for both of you.