New & Need Help! Fletcher's FCE

Neurological Disorders Resources. Treatment and care for pets having pain or trouble walking or standing due to spinal injuries or neurological disorders like IVDD, FCE and DM.
fletchersmom

New & Need Help! Fletcher's FCE

Post by fletchersmom »

Our St Bernard was diagnosed yesterday with FCE. What a tough day!!! We are researching & learning about it. There really isn't much said about caring for him afterwards on most of the websites. Can anyone give advice as far as at home care? It is his right rear leg. He is surprising us & getting along great on 3 legs. He is just dragging the other leg- we are going to order a splint from handicapped pets. Other ideas???
Thanks so much!
spasmo

Re: New & Need Help! Fletcher's FCE

Post by spasmo »

Hello Fletcher's Mom! Welcome!

I certainly know how scary it is when our babies get diagnosed with FCE. There are several of us here who are learning about FCEs... I had never heard of them before August 9th. From your post I gather that Fletcher has the use of three legs. Does Fletcher have the ability to feel "deep pain" in his fourth leg? What about bladder control?

With Augusta (our golden retriever) physical therapy has made all the difference. She has responded especially well to hydro therapy... the water treadmill really helped her a lot. She also had some electro stimulation (she was not wild about that... LOL)... and I read about others using acupuncture (I'm trying to picture Augusta sitting still for that and not having much luck). We were sent home with a ling list of home physical therapy exercises. At first we are focusing on making her muscles stronger... (standing exercises, range of motion, etc...) later her home therapy will shift to agility. We also message her muscles.

We are here for you as you navigate FCEs. We are only a few keystrokes away!

Good luck and best wishes~
Anna B
proud dog hair collector