Maddie update on Monday

Neurological Disorders Resources. Treatment and care for pets having pain or trouble walking or standing due to spinal injuries or neurological disorders like IVDD, FCE and DM.
maddiesmom

Maddie update on Monday

Post by maddiesmom »

Hi guys -

Just heard from my vet. Not good. He said all the indicators look like maddie probably does have Hemangiosarcoma. She is anemic - her blood count is at 28% (should be 35%) and the nodules they found on her spleen and liver point to that.

He is a really good guy - a big lab lover too. He said based on his experience he would recommend not doing surgery to remove the spleen. Also, they have had little luck with radiation and chemo. I have to agree with him. I would hate for Maddie to have to go through surgery or chemo/radiation in the state she is in. Here is something from Wikipedia about the type of cancer she (probably) has:

Hemangiosarcoma in dogs

This cancer is somewhat common in dogs, and more so in certain breeds including German Shepherds and Golden Retrievers.[1] It occurs, but is rare, in cats. The dog often exhibits no symptoms until the tumor has become very large and has metastasized. Owners often discover that the dog has hemangiosarcoma when the dog collapses and dies.
The tumor most often appears on the spleen or the heart, although varieties also appear on the skin or in other locations. It is the most common tumor of the heart, and occurs in the right atrium. Here it can cause right-sided heart failure, arrhythmias, or pericardial effusion. Hemangiosarcoma of the spleen or liver is the most common tumor to cause hemorrhage in the abdomen.[2] Hemangiosarcoma of the skin usually appears as a small red or bluish-black lump. It can also occur under the skin. It is suspected that in the skin, hemangiosarcoma is caused by sun exposure.[2] Other sites the tumor may occur include bone, the kidney, the bladder, muscle, the mouth, and the central nervous system.
Hemangiosarcoma can cause anemia, low platelet count, and disseminated intravascular coagulation (DIC). Symptoms of splenic hemangiosarcoma include loss of appetite, arrhythmias, weight loss, weakness, and lethargy. An enlarged abdomen is often seen due to hemorrhage or tumor growth. Metastasis is most commonly to the lungs, liver, or brain.
Treatment includes chemotherapy and, where practical, removal of the tumor with the affected organ, such as with a splenectomy. It is not clear how effective the treatment is; few if any studies have been done, although a study involving splenectomies and chemotherapy was underway on the east coast of the United States in 2003. Splenectomy alone gives an average survival time of two months.
Hemangiosarcoma on internal organs is usually fatal even with treatment, and usually within weeks or, at best, months. In the skin, it can be cured in most cases with complete surgical removal.[2]

He thought she would be with us for 2 to 4 months, at best. I think my job now is to make it some really great time for her. I did order the doggie wheelchair today because I am an optimist and wouldn't that be great to prove everyone wrong. Even if we don't, I think it will make Maddie happy. Plus we will still do the hydrotherapy because she likes it so much.

wow. have i learned a lot from this experience. Talk about not taking anything for granted. Hug your doggies & kitties.

xxoo Elizabeth & Maddie
Love is always worth it.
Christine

Re: Maddie update on Monday

Post by Christine »

Dear Elizabeth,

My heart just aches for you and your sweet Maddie. I, too, am an optimist...we have seen many a miracle, just in our little group right here. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. Just remember, everything happens in God's good time. You are doing exactly the right thing by focusing on making her happy. Take care of yourself as well and remember, we are here for you.

Love,
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

Oh, Elizabeth! I am so sorry for this news! But I am thankful you are there with your Maddie, to make her life as whole and happy as any pup could hope for... Let us know how we can help you on this journey... Tears this morning.
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
Lethal White Aussies Rule!
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!
http://www.s8.createphpbb.com/lethalwhiteauss/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LethalWhiteAussieRescue/
Dianne

Post by Dianne »

Oh Elizabeth,

I am VERY sorry to hear the news about Maddie. Nothing I can say will make it any better.

My situation is somewhat similiar to you in that I have a cat with skin cancer of the nose (squamous cell) who has a VERY strong will to live. His face is completely devastated by the insidious creap of the cancer, but he still wants me to pet him, feed him, scratch his back, etc. He has NO nose, and his eyes are almost completely closed. When a pet has such a very *strong will to live*, I feel I cannot take that from him. We know his days are numbered, but will allow *him* to make the choice when he is ready for the final exit. Don't rush into making the decision for Maddie. She may have many good days with you.

We'll all be thinking about you and Maddie.

Dianne
maddiesmom

Post by maddiesmom »

thanks so much. is there anything you give your cat to give him more energy - maddie is so sluggish. but she is still eating and drinking and peeing and pooping and being a BIG LOVE.
Love is always worth it.
Dianne

Post by Dianne »

Unfortunately, there is nothing I can do for my cat but "be there". He still wants companionship. I debated even telling you about him (Lucky), because I didn't want you do get more depressed.

But there is a certain freedom with dying pets in that you know they want to be with you, they still want to please you, and they need comfort, and provide YOU with comfort. I guess it is a type of hospice that we provide. It is a type of closure for both of us.

There is something *good* that comes from being a loving owner to the very last days. We know that the time comes for all mortal things to end, we hate the thought, but we can't avoid the truth.

I bought a case of Science Diet A/D for my cat. It costs about $1.22 per can(more than $32.00 per case) but that is all that he will eat, any longer. I do whatever it takes to make the final exit more bearable.

I'm hoping that the vets are wrong about how much time you have with Maddie. They could well be wrong. When an animal or person has a strong will to live, they defy the odds and live longer.

Maddie enjoys being with you and your family. Provide her the soft blankie, the new bone, the cooked chicken or whatever she likes. You know what she likes.

I still wonder if I am wrong to talk hospice in this letter, but I sense that both of us know that our pets are in hospice care at home.

Wishing you strength.

Dianne
Christine

Post by Christine »

Dianne,

That is beautiful and inspiring.

Love,
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08
connie

Post by connie »

oh my heart goes out to you and maddie. you both are in my prayers every day. i pray maddie gets a miracle.
hugs, connie and cricket
spasmo

Post by spasmo »

Oh Sweetie,
I am so sorry that about this news. My heart is in my so sad for y'all. I have been in similar shoes and they make me so sad.

Over the years we have had eight goldens... and have lost six goldens (leaving our current two) to various diseases... I can tell you from my experience that what is most important is living each day to the fullest and enjoying each day. Most of our dearly departed six lived far longer than the vets predicted. I firmly believe that their strong will to live had a lot to do with this. We did make sure that they were surrounded in love and had all their favorite things and activities to fill their days (that is pretty much the norm in our house anyways). If one of mine wanted a dog food omlet, well that is what they had for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

If I could do anything (other than give you a big hug right) now I would say try to find ways to make each day special... and take your cues from Maddie. Dianne has put into words what we have often felt after a bad diagnosis... this is a special time.

My thoughts and prayers are with y'all.
Anna B
proud dog hair collector
Cindidoxiemom

Post by Cindidoxiemom »

I am so sorry to hear this. The most important thing is for Maddie to enjoy whatever the rest of her life is...4 months ..6 months...a year...
All she wants is love, and you have a ton of it to give her. Give Maddie a nose kiss from me.
Hugs, and know prayers are coming your way!
Cini
I am not a vet; please consult your vet before making any treatment decisions.

Hunter IVDD Surgery x 2~Walking
Oscar IVDD Surgery x 1~ Paralyzed
Sage and Misty
dawniy

Post by dawniy »

Oh dear how very awful for you all.
Words just aren't good enough....... so instead Ted Lana and I are sending lots of love and prayers and hugs and wet licks and kisses and wags and anything that could possibly ease any of your situation.
Thinking about you a lot

Dawniy , Ted and Lana xxxxx
dawniy xx
dawniy

Post by dawniy »

Oh dear how very awful for you all.
Words just aren't good enough....... so instead Ted Lana and I are sending lots of love and prayers and hugs and wet licks and kisses and wags and anything that could possibly ease any of your situation.
Thinking about you a lot

Dawniy , Ted and Lana xxxxx
dawniy xx
maddiesmom

Post by maddiesmom »

Hello all - sorry I have been out of touch. I wanted to give you an update on Maddie - she went to heaven last wednesday - she did such a good job and put up such a good fight - we got her a doggie wheelchair, hand fed her and took her everywhere in the car. she also took ME on walks (with me holding the rear harness). She never complained and we were so blessed to have that "extra" time with her.

She lasted 4 months after the initial diagnosis. In the end, I think she might of had hemangiosarcoma all along (I think the tumor might have grown around her spinal cord and paralized her). She just got too weak (she was really anemic) to even stand up (with her front legs) and I think she was in a lot of pain.

I will miss her so much but I feel so thankful that I got to be in her life. I hope you guys take care. I remember someone gave me a link to caregivers care - does anyone remember where that is? I can't find it.

Thanks.
Attachments
maddieforweb.jpg
Love is always worth it.
Cindidoxiemom

Post by Cindidoxiemom »

I am so sorry for your loss. What a beautiful spirit your Maddie was, and what an incredible inspiration she will always be. My sincerest condolences to you and your family.

Cindi
I am not a vet; please consult your vet before making any treatment decisions.

Hunter IVDD Surgery x 2~Walking
Oscar IVDD Surgery x 1~ Paralyzed
Sage and Misty
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

Oh, my God I am so very sorry!
You were the best thing that EVER happened to Maddie. She waited her life for you knowing this very thing.
I am impossibly sorry and will ask the Board Elves to move this to the Rainbow Bridge.
I am so sorry for your loss and I know that you will see her again.
My own child is waiting for me at the Bridge.
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
Lethal White Aussies Rule!
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!
http://www.s8.createphpbb.com/lethalwhiteauss/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LethalWhiteAussieRescue/