We just brought him home from the hospital.

Neurological Disorders Resources. Treatment and care for pets having pain or trouble walking or standing due to spinal injuries or neurological disorders like IVDD, FCE and DM.
rozzi80

We just brought him home from the hospital.

Post by rozzi80 »

We have had a week that is hard to believe. Although it looks as if most of you all have "been there-done that". It is such a relief to read some hopeful stories.

Beemer, "B" to those who truely know him, was suddenly paralyzed on Sunday. After finding him knucked under in the rear, I knew that something was seriously wrong and we rushed him to the local emergency facility. They started steroid theorpy, but his symptoms worsened over the next few hours. Luckily we are in the Chicago area where there is a specialty group who deals with many back injuries. We drove 1 1/2 hours at 1 am to get him there on an emergency basis. He had a myleogram (the MRI was down) and surgery by 11 am Monday.

Some good news, yesterday, Tuesday, there was no pain reflex at all, however today, Wednesday, he had deep pain reflex in his tail! Yeah! They told us that he only had a 40% chance of regaining the ability to walk.

OK now my first of most likely many questions, we have heard that hydrotherapy is VERY good for him -- once the stitches are out. However, we cannot figure out how to accomplish this. Do we need a hot tub/ spa thing (remember the old commercials with the jet machine that you put in your tub?). Or just a half full tub of water to swim/water walk? What results have you had? I should mention that Mr. B is a 14.8 pound dachshund. Does anyone know of a way to create a "home made" hot tub.

Second question: Has anyone used an acupuncturist? and what was the results?

This is all for now.

Thanks
Ledra
and
Beemer, AKA The Mysterious Mr. B!
Dachshund Extraordinaire
critters
Founding Member

Re: We just brought him home from the hospital.

Post by critters »

Welcome! Yes, people have used LOTS of things for hydrotherapy--bathtubs, hot tubs, swimming pools, reptile aquariums, and natural bodies of water. Since B is little, the bathtub might work just fine.

Does he poop/pee on his own? Do you need expressing info?
connie

Post by connie »

hello and welcome,
so glad you got deep pain in tail . but what you need to start at is CRATE REST. no dragging, moving around for at least 6 weeks. moving around could cause more damage. my cricket had surgery last nov. and had to be crated 6 weeks, only out to pee, poop and some p.t. vets told me that crate rest was the most important thing and it payed off. after 10 months my boy is regaining hind legs. is your pet peeing on it's own? most paralyzed pets don't and has to be expressed.
the best of luck to you and don't forget B. needs the crate rest to heal , just like humans after surgery.
keep us updated, god bless you both.
hugs,
connie and cricket
rozzi80

Post by rozzi80 »

Thanks for responding! The vet's office showed us how to express B before bringing him home. I was expecting to do it, but it seems he is going on his own. He starts acting fussy and when we go check him he is wet. As soon as we pick him up he starts shooting like a fountain. Is this unusual?
Ledra
and
Beemer, AKA The Mysterious Mr. B!
Dachshund Extraordinaire
Cindidoxiemom

Post by Cindidoxiemom »

Hi and welcome,
I have had two dogs go through this..one twice...one once..one walks and one is paralyzed. This all started for me 4 years ago, so I have been there done that for sure.

1. Chances are your dog is overflowing. If B is still paralyzed, he is probably still bladder compromised. He may start to tinkle, but not completely empty his bladder. Oscar is my paralyzed dogs, and he shoots like a fire hose sometimes, but I assure you, he is NOT doing it himself. PLEASE continue to express until you are SURE he is completely emptying his bladder alllllllll on his own. If not, you are really going to run the risk of UTIs...and they are NASTY critters.

2. Take heed of connie's advice. Post surgery, your dog needs to rest. Complete crate rest is VERY important. Four to 6 weeks is really needed. Do NOT let your dog out of the crate except to potty. Carry to your potty spot and express.

3. Did the surgeon send B home on prednisone? That will make him thristy and hence need to be expressed more.

4. Hydrotherapy can be done in a bathtub with the water up to their "leg pits". You can "walk" B back and forth in the tub....or just put him in and see what he does. This shouldn't be done until the staples are removed , and his back has been rested.

5. Oscar had acupuncture done...I do think it may have helped some, but he does remain paralyzed. I think for those that are going to heal, acupuncture WILL hasten the healing process. http://www.holisticvetlist.com/ Try this site to find a holistic vet.

Hope this helps. No question is silly...ask away!
Hugs,
Cindi
I am not a vet; please consult your vet before making any treatment decisions.

Hunter IVDD Surgery x 2~Walking
Oscar IVDD Surgery x 1~ Paralyzed
Sage and Misty
connie

Post by connie »

hi rossi,
cricket peed same way, but he still wasn't empty. bladder had to be expressed to get completely empty. even now 10 months after surgery and walking some, his bladder STILL has to be emptied by me. take others advice, even tho he is wet , it is probably just leakage from overflow bladder. i come home 3 times a day to empty cricket, each time he is damp, when i pick him up it shoots out, but when i empty him, he is full.
and please it is so early after surgery, keep pet in crate till he is completely healed, ( thanks cindi). cindi and everyone knows that if not for that crate rest my cricket would not have recovered like he has. too much moving around, dragging , whatever can do a lot of damage. cricket stayed in hospital a week after surgery, then vets made me crate him for 6 weeks. he howled, whined, broke my heart, but it paid off in long run.
after your baby is healed, then i stress lots of P.T. and hyrotherapy. cricket is small, i do it in bathtub 3 times a week.
i fill tub to top of his belly, then walk him in water. but again, i waited till he was healed. don't rush it, even people have to heal after injury . the best of luck to you, keep us updated.
my prayers are with you.
hugs,
connie and cricket