herniated disk please I need advice!

Neurological Disorders Resources. Treatment and care for pets having pain or trouble walking or standing due to spinal injuries or neurological disorders like IVDD, FCE and DM.
daisy's mom

herniated disk please I need advice!

Post by daisy's mom »

My toy poodle just had surgery for several hernialted disks. Prior to surgery she had sooo much back pain, and had pretty much lost use of her back leggs. Two days after surgery she was making great progress. The pain was gone, and she was using her leggs again. Every day she was doing better and better. Two and 1/2 post surgery, and today she has lost all useage of her back legs again. The Dr. said "no guarantees"
I just can't figure out why she was making such great progress, and all of a sudden this bad news!! I had to finance the surgery $5,000. I am so sad, I just don't know what to do.
Dianne

Re: herniated disk please I need advice!

Post by Dianne »

Good Morning Daisy's Mom,

The important thing after disk surgery is crate rest for 4 to 6 weeks. Perhaps your vet didn't mention that. Daisy needs immediate crate rest. She may have reinjured her back; I am not a vet and can't diagnose her problem. But, I do know that steroids and crate rest (confinement) are the two basic rules after the surgery.

Here is a post surgery instruction sheet:

http://www.dodgerslist.com/lit/After_Surgery.htm

Read the part about crate rest. Daisy should stay in the crate/kennel and be taken out ONLY to go to the bathroom.

IMPORTANT: Do you need to express urine, or is she able to urinate as normal? There are ways to express urine if she is unable to urinate normally. This is VERY important.

There is no guarantee that the surgery will work. There are other people on this board who have had successful and unsuccessful surgery on their dog's backs. Even if the surgery is UNsuccessful, dogs can lead happy lives. It is NOT a reason to put a dog to sleep.

I can tell that you have been through a real emotional roller coaster the last 2 weeks. If you could tell us a bit more about Daisy's condition, someone here has probably also experienced the same thing and can help.

Dianne
BethT

Post by BethT »

Dear Daisy's Mom,

You are not alone, many of us here have paralyzed pets. Like Dianne said you need to keep your dog very still after this surgery for 6 to 8 weeks. Don't let her walk or drag herself around. Does Daisy have bladder control? Can she go on her own or do you need to express her bladder? Please give us some more details as we can help you better the more we know. The 2 most important things right now are crate rest and making sure she is emptying her bladder. You don't want her to get an infection. I know it feels overwhelming right now but even if the worst happened and she never walked again animals can have a great quality of life paralyzed. I have a paralyzed dog named Waffles. He had the disk surgery 2 years ago and has been in a cart ever since. His bladder does not work so I have to express it a few times a day. He is a very happy dog, does not even know he has a disability. There is still plenty of time for your dog to recover but do make sure that you are keeping her confined except to go to the bathroom. We are here to help you so keep asking questions. Beth
connie

Post by connie »

hi daisy,
like the others said, CRATE REST, so very important to keep her from futher injurying back. my cricket had to be crated for 6 weeks. i know the stress is awful, been there, done that, but we are here to help. and do make sure bladder is completely empty. rest and steroids most important thing now. i didn't think, ( and vets) that cricket could make it, but 10 months later he is on the road back. keep us updated please. and my prayers go out to you.
hugs,
connie and cricket
daisy's mom

Post by daisy's mom »

The vet never said to crate daisy after surgery. I have however kept her limited on her activity. He is also fresh out of Davis, and says they taught him that steroids should never be used.
After reading your posts, I am afraid I have allowed Daisy too much activity, and that is why she has taken a turn. Up until this point, she was able to void on her own, but I dont know if she can at this point.
I got a doggy stroller, so I can push her around the house with me. She PANICS if she cannpt see me. I don't even think Cesar Melon could help me at this point.
Cindidoxiemom

Post by Cindidoxiemom »

Ok..if she can't urinate on her own...YOU MUST express her. Failure to could result in a very serious UTI, Kidney infection or even in severe cases death.

Start crate rest NOW...find a vet that will give prednisone...and to be honest, if her set back is as serious as you have described, she may have blown another disk.

Very important question: Is your surgeon out of University of Davis California?
Cindi
I am not a vet; please consult your vet before making any treatment decisions.

Hunter IVDD Surgery x 2~Walking
Oscar IVDD Surgery x 1~ Paralyzed
Sage and Misty
daisy's mom

Post by daisy's mom »

yes, fresh out of Davis. I am on hold at this very moment for the fourth time today, trying to get ahold of the doctor. I have started to crate as soon as i read the posts. she has not voided in 24 hours. if the vet ever comes on the phone, i will find out how to express her bladder. i have taken her out to her spot several times, held her in the position, and lightly pushed on her bladder, but nothing.
Ok, receptionist just came on the line, and said he cannot come to the phone but will call me within the hour.
THIS IS NO WAY TO TREAT A CLIENT. This is no way for Daisy to live. I am sooooo at my wits end, I actually have an itchy rash all over my body due to nerves.
Cindidoxiemom

Post by Cindidoxiemom »

24 hours is WAY too long...Take Daisy to a 24 hour emergency clinic and get her expressed hon.

I can tell you how to express a dog, and link you http://www.handicappedpets.com/Articles/express/
to help, but you can't really wait. Forget Davis at this point and go get Daisy expressed.

I'm very sorry your going through this. PLEASE please go ahead and take Daisy in to an emergency clinic to be expressed. Let them show you how to express her. You CAN'T wait any longer.
Please post...I'll be worrying until I hear that she is ok.
Hugs,
Cindi

Sage and Misty
daisy's mom

Post by daisy's mom »

Thank you soooo much. I am getting ready to leave at this moment. The drive is 45min. I will post as soon as I get back.
Wish us luck
Cindidoxiemom

Post by Cindidoxiemom »

Will keep you both in my prayers for a safe journey to the vet and back.

I am going to direct you to an excellent board for IVDD dogs. It is Dodger's list, and it is run by an exceptional lady named Linda Stowe. I am a memeber there, and I assure you there are 100's of others with IVDD dogs that post there.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Dodgerslist/messages

I hope you will also continue to post here as we truly care about what happens to your Daisy, and there are people with LOTS of experience with IVDD here as well.

Hugs,
Cindi

Sage and Misty