Cold toes??

Neurological Disorders Resources. Treatment and care for pets having pain or trouble walking or standing due to spinal injuries or neurological disorders like IVDD, FCE and DM.
critters
Founding Member

Cold toes??

Post by critters »

Yesterday was the coolest it's been since Buddy got here in very early May; it was 60 degrees. Last night Buddy's feet, pads, etc were FREEZING at least up to his hock. He was moving fine and all was well otherwise. Has anybody else seen this?

http://www.handicappedpets.com/pics/buddy.htm
Bendy Kitty
Founding Member

Re: Cold toes??

Post by Bendy Kitty »

the only time we have seen cold toes was with circulatory problems. could you warm his feet by bringing him inside and wrapping them in warm towels?
if you could get his feet warm, i would say it was just too chilly out for him but if you could not get his feet warm i would worry about circulation.
do you know how to take pulses?
don't know if we can explain it well, but you should be able to feel a pulse on inside of his thigh, fairly high up. we had to have the vet show us and put our finger on the spot, it wasn't easy. in an animal with circulatory trouble the pulse will be very weak.

if his toes are still cold thsi am after being inside all night, i'd say you've got trouble :(

hoping for warm toes!

bendy
In loving memory of Bendy Cute Kitty 9/15/00-4/23/12

Meet the cats at Bendy's Home http://www.alittletlc.com"
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Well, he's already inside (and VERY happy about it, I might add :D ). Jean reminded me that Jaime has trouble regulating her body temp due to the SCI, and it's possible Buddy does, too. My first thought, like you, was circulation, but he theoretically shouldn't have anything wrong there. Good idea about pulses--I'll see what I can find out! Thanks!!
Jean

Post by Jean »

After reading Bendy's response I was about to write you because my GODSON had better not be outside. (NO LOL).

Jaime has had problems with controlling her temp since I brought her home from the hospital 8 years ago on September the 6th.
She uses a variety of microwave hot packs, oil filled radiator heaters and heat lamps to keep her temp up to near normal. Without the outsde warming devices she runs about two degrees below normal.
I can tell if she is cold because she gets to purring (This is the only time she purrs) and shaking when she is cold. Then, it becomes very difficult to express her.
Get Buddy Boy a heat lamp. Jaime uses a brooder lamp that I bought from the feed store. He will definitely be more comfortable. VBG
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Well, I JUST put an indoor/outdoor plug-in, steel-wrapped, chew-proof (yeah right!) dog bed on our KV order. Does that suit you?!! Hey, if you're his godmom, you should be buying it!! :shock: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Jean

Post by Jean »

WHEW !!!!!!!!!!! I thought you were going to say you put in an Indoor/Outdoor cat door. I could just see myself flying across the country to save Buddy as he came flailing through, save MamaCat ...
BTW a GODMOTHER'S duties are to protect her GODCHILDREN not to provide things for the Godchildren's owner. I have heard that that SO CALLED dog bed is over 5' 8" tall. SHAME ON YOU Critters !!!!! LOL
PS: MamaCat would probably enjoy the warmth of a heat lamp. My older kitties love to curl up under it.
CathyT

Post by CathyT »

Hi - should not be sitting here at 1.30am in the morning our time, but your chat about Buddy's toes got me worrying. Spice does more shivering since she was paralysed. Although it was hot here, I turned the radiator on in the morning and evening in the kitchen, since she like to lie on her bed next to it. Not sure what SCI is (sorry). Is this shivering something to bother about. Her toes are not cold, but she does shiver.
Jean

Post by Jean »

Hi Cathy,
I like the way you keep asking questions about Spice. I can tell your kitty is VERY SPECIAL to you.
My cat Jaime has been paralyzed since she was 6 weeks old. Since the day she came home from the Emergency Vet Clinic she has had problems maintaining her body temp. She was paralyzed after being HBC (Hit by a Car) and has a SCI (Spinal Cord Injury).
People as well as pets with SCI often have problems regulating their body temp.
When Jaime becomes cold she will shiver and purr. I use a variety of means to keep her temp at a normal level. She is very difficult to express when she becomes cold. In addition, it is important that a cat's temp not be allowed to drop to a dangerous level.
Do you have a Petsmart near by? They sell Microwave hotpacks that will maintain a warm bed for your pet. I also use radiator heaters as well as a heat lamp that I hang above her. (Monitor to make sure Spice does not become too hot a paralyzed pet will not be aware if the lamp or hotpack is too hot. In addition, monitor that the heat lamp not become a fire hazard.) The warmth will make Spice feel better and help her to heal quicker.
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Jean wrote:WHEW !!!!!!!!!!! I thought you were going to say you put in an Indoor/Outdoor cat door. I could just see myself flying across the country to save Buddy as he came flailing through, save MamaCat ...
BTW a GODMOTHER'S duties are to protect her GODCHILDREN not to provide things for the Godchildren's owner. I have heard that that SO CALLED dog bed is over 5' 8" tall. SHAME ON YOU Critters !!!!! LOL
PS: MamaCat would probably enjoy the warmth of a heat lamp. My older kitties love to curl up under it.
:mrgreen: "Flailing through" is exactly right!! :lol:
Yes, they have a queen-size bed with 5'8" heater, but not during the day!!! :D I'm afraid of heat lamps since somebody might dump it, break it, or knock something onto it. You KNOW my devilish monsters!! :lol:
Jean

Post by Jean »

Critters I bet your "MONSTERS" love their 5'8" heater. (See you have to be careful what you tell me I have a very good memory. VEG)
I have Jaime's heat lamp fastened to a panel from a X pen which is bolted to the wall. I never leave it on when I am gone from the house. However, "YOUR GANG" would probably find a way to dismantle it and burn the house down. (NO LOL)
Hope Buddy, MamaCat and all the gang enjoy their new heated bed. VBG / Jean
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

new Buddy pics (I hope).
Attachments
The happy boy at play. I still need to get a pic of his "neuro sit."
The happy boy at play. I still need to get a pic of his "neuro sit."
goofball.JPG
Jean

Post by Jean »

Hi Critters,
Buddy looks great. :D He has the most beautiful coat. He has gained weight since you got him :?: He could almost be called a Pretty Boy.;) He looks like a cat that is in perpetual motion and always busy. Have I told you he looks like my kitty Chadwick :?:
Buddy looks like he is up really high. Does he ever fall :?: It looks like he uses his teeth to help him get to places :?:
Are his legs always to the side like that :?:
Jean
PS: Your pictures look great!! You have learned to size them down. I am so envious. :mrgreen: I wish I could send some of Jaime and Angel but with my computer skills I guess snails mail will just have to do. :roll:
Thanks for the tutorial on Smiles. :) I might have used too many :lol:
Dianne

Post by Dianne »

A climbing wall. How cute! And, it looks like Buddy has mastered the top level!

His coat IS beautiful.
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Jean wrote:Hi Critters,
Buddy looks great. :D He has the most beautiful coat. He has gained weight since you got him :?: He could almost be called a Pretty Boy.;) He looks like a cat that is in perpetual motion and always busy. Have I told you he looks like my kitty Chadwick :?:
Buddy looks like he is up really high. Does he ever fall :?: It looks like he uses his teeth to help him get to places :?:
Are his legs always to the side like that :?:
Jean
PS: Your pictures look great!! You have learned to size them down. I am so envious. :mrgreen: I wish I could send some of Jaime and Angel but with my computer skills I guess snails mail will just have to do. :roll:
Thanks for the tutorial on Smiles. :) I might have used too many :lol:
Buddy has, indeed, gained weight; he's up over 9 pounds now. He's frequently busy, and one of his favorite things these days is to play with somebody else's tail. :shock:

He wasn't high in these pics, only first and second level. He falls, but he's never fallen out of the cat tree. He doesn't use his teeth to get around, but yes, his legs are usually doing something wonky like that. :lol:

I haven't actually "learned to size them down." My picture program is demented, but it actually let me resize them today. It was pretty much a lucky shot.

You HAVE discovered smilies!!! :lol:
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Why, thank you!! :D I think he's quite handsome, but I'm biased. :mrgreen:

Yes, he does the top level, but his favorite is the 2nd level; from there, he can get to the window and the windowseat. Little Mr. Independent will get the deal done--you can bet on that!!!