Update on Spice, paralysed cat in Ireland

Neurological Disorders Resources. Treatment and care for pets having pain or trouble walking or standing due to spinal injuries or neurological disorders like IVDD, FCE and DM.
CathyT

Update on Spice, paralysed cat in Ireland

Post by CathyT »

Hi everyone! Just wanted to let everyone who was so helpful know how she is doing - and hopefully encourage anyone in the same situation.
I have (after about 4 weeks), just about learnt to express her bladder. I was so nervous to start with and I let it go for a little while since she was releasing urine on her own (over the kitchen). However there was another infection and then I really began to work at learning the technique properly. It definitely works better when I am more relaxed. Sometimes she even purrs now when I am doing it!!
I lie her on her side, since I have no help while doing this and then just work away. My measure of whether I am actually doing it or not is if I can get two consecutive good streams of urine (rather than just one - by luck!). I think I can finally feel her bladder, but it has taken so long - she is tubby!
Because of this, her fur is beginning to lose all the discolouring (she's a very pale colour) - she and I are gradually managing to clean her up together and the expression means there is far less dribbling (even though I am not perfect at it yet).
Because she had a small sore caused by a previous badly fitting (hard, denim/cotton) pet diaper, I cannot put her back in the newborn comfort diapers yet, but I can see that they will be perfect to stop dribbles when we are more stabilised with expression and the sore has vanished.

The biggest news though is that I had her towel walking this week (hand-made thing with handles for me either end of the towel and holes for her legs) and a) she seemed to be raring to go (I could hardly keep up with her!!) and b) she seems to have some use of her left leg. Now that she's used to the towel (and the fact that I will not let her race along, but am trying to get her to put her feet on the ground), she is not playing ball! Instead she prefers to roll over and start purring which - although charming - does defeat the purpuse.

So - I have today ordered a mobility cart for her. I didn't think that it was really appropriate since she is a nine-year old cat who mostly wants to sleep in the sun. But I think she deserves to be a bit more in charge of her own movements - and to move faster!! and I hope that the cart will begin to get her using that left leg which she seems to be able to use almost in a walking movement.

Anyway - just wanted to let you all know that she's still around and thank you so much again! Hopefully there's still a bit of room for improvement.

All the best to all you lovely people here!
critters
Founding Member

Re: Update on Spice, paralysed cat in Ireland

Post by critters »

I'm glad she's doing SOO well! :D
Bendy Kitty
Founding Member

Post by Bendy Kitty »

this is GREAT news!!!!!
heehee, falling over and purring instead of excersizing, tha tis pretty funny.
nine years isn't so old that she wouldn't want to be able to get around some! i hope the cart works well for her.

glad that expressing is going so well, too. the learning process is always frustrating and then one day it just works.
that is great about her left leg too!

nice to start our day with such a happy story!

headbonks and purrrs

bendy
In loving memory of Bendy Cute Kitty 9/15/00-4/23/12

Meet the cats at Bendy's Home http://www.alittletlc.com"
BethT

Post by BethT »

Hi Cathy,

I am so happy that Spice is doing so well! Expression is really just a matter of practice. Soon you will be an expert at it and will be helping others who are just beginning. With my dog Waffles I find that expressing then waiting for 15 or so minutes and expressing again is the best way to insure that his bladder is pretty empty. The last hour before bed I express Waffles 3 times with 20 minute breaks in between. There is still plenty of time for Spice to heal so keep up the therapy that you are doing. I am so happy for you and Spice that you didn't give up on her back when your vet was suggesting euthanasia. Keep us posted. Beth
Dianne

Post by Dianne »

Hello Cathy,

We've wondered how you have been doing with beautiful Spice. That is REALLY great that you persisted and can express her yourself. We're all so proud of you!

I have 3 cats that are about 15 years old, Karen had one live to 21 years, and so 9 is NOT old. You have many years ahead with your kitty. I am hopeful that she will show more signs of recovery with your loving care.

Dianne
Jean

Post by Jean »

Cathy,
It was so good to hear from you!!! It sounds like you are making wonderful progress with Spice. I knew you could do it. YEAH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Like was mentioned earlier, express her and then wait 15-20 minutes and express her again to totally empty her. Her bladder needs time to reshape.
Spice sounds like she is a very happy kitty thanks to her MOM who takes such good care of her.
Please keep us posted./Jean
CathyT

Post by CathyT »

Thanks all again - I've learned something else today! About waiting before trying again when I'm expressing. It was when Jean wrote 'takes time to reshape' that the penny finally dropped. I've read you all talking about taking time between attempts, but this is the first time the penny's dropped. Thanks.

Another funny story - we've had a long hot summer here (for Ireland!). Spice (we often call her 'Small') has spent most of the daytime hours since she was injured on June 12th, lazing around in our orchard which is nice and safe for her. One of my other cats - (her brother but not her litter brother) my 11yr old chocolate boy, called Musha, a crafty but lovable old git, like a teddy bear - has spent a lot of time hanging out with her up there in the sun or under the trees when it's too hot.

I thought this was wonderful at first - even telling my mother on the phone what great guy he was and how he was 'looking after her'. Then, a couple of weeks ago it dawned what was actually going on. She's getting a lot of special chicken these days (high quality protein for her kidneys, since she won't eat the special kidney food). He's waiting for the #### chicken! They ARE cats after all - but still he's quite sweet. He's the only one who will actually climb into bed with her.
CathyT

Post by CathyT »

Hi and sorry - the word that was blotted out in my last post was only d###. Which I think pretty expressive. Shame that it's considered to be a swear word. I don't normally swear (that much) but I feel pretty #### good today.
All the best
Dianne

Post by Dianne »

Hi Cathy,

Yep, the moderators on this bb try to keep it family friendly as we occasionally have children posting here. We don't want to offend anyone.

So very glad that Spice is showing improvement. Musha must smell the chicken on her lips. Cats are so clever. lol

Dianne
mumpkees

Post by mumpkees »

Cathy:

What a wonderfully uplifting story to read this morning! So happy to hear that both you and Spice are doing so well!

Thank you for taking the time to write such a wonderful and detailed 'update' including the 'it was hard in the beginning' part and the 'success' part! Others finding themselves where you were just a few weeks ago, will be given the courage to not give up on their furkids - it IS doable.

Loved the #### chicken story - we have a few of those 'special friends' at our house too!

Again, thanks for sharing the great news! /mari
/mari
Spiritcat and the Mooseheart Mumpkees of southeastern Texas