What kind of cart do I need!!

Neurological Disorders Resources. Treatment and care for pets having pain or trouble walking or standing due to spinal injuries or neurological disorders like IVDD, FCE and DM.
tveit

What kind of cart do I need!!

Post by tveit »

I have an 8 month old doberman male, who had a hemi-vertabrae in his 5th vertabrae, we had surgery, but he is still only half way up on his hind legs. He was 12 weeks old when the surgery was done. It has been a long hall! The neorologist suggested a cart to let him run and walk as long as he wanted to, so he could build up his muscles again. He does excellent with his legs, when I walk him with his towel. He just has balancing issues. What kind of cart would you recommend.
Cindidoxiemom

Re: What kind of cart do I need!!

Post by Cindidoxiemom »

Hello and Welcome,
I knew hemi-vertebra was a common problem for bulldogs...specifically French bulldogs, I didn't realize is it was an issue in dobermans. I noticed in your post to Wiseowl that you said your vet was surprised that it was showing in a dog so young. True hemi-vertebra often times shows up in very young dogs. I don't think it is rare for a pup to show symptoms. We had a bulldog pup here not long ago with it.

I'm glad you have received treatment, and I hope with continued PT perhaps some acupuncture and water therapy, your dog will be up and moving again.
The feet are the last thing to regain feeling/movement.

I think a cart might be very wise. My dog uses an Eddies cart. http://www.eddieswheels.com/index.html I have been very happy with them. They use a welded saddle, so mesurements are very important, but the wonderful people at Eddie's will help you if you decide to go with them.
I know others here use different carts and wil share their experiences with you.
Cindi
I am not a vet; please consult your vet before making any treatment decisions.

Hunter IVDD Surgery x 2~Walking
Oscar IVDD Surgery x 1~ Paralyzed
Sage and Misty
tveit

Post by tveit »

Hello - the hemi-vertebrae is common in the bulldog, no it is not an issue persay with dobermans, he just happened to be the one in a million. I guess I was told it could happen to young dogs, but signs were more likely to happen in the 2-6 year age group. My dobe was flown here from Wyoming, and they made an assumption that the plane flight or handling could have just jared it enough. I am in close contact with the breeder, and he was perfectly normal before shipping. Some people believe its not genetic, and some do believe it is. The parents of my dobe were checked out ok. Nobody ever really knows. I know I'm willing to do anything possible for him to get him better!
Toni

Post by Toni »

I used a cart from Doggonwheels for my Ivan (a 160 lb shep x lab). You can see his page at:

http://www.handicappedpets.com/gallery/ivan11/index.htm

I think there are many good carts out there. I chose Doggonwheels because the saddle for the cart allows you to put it on the dog before hoisting him into the cart (I believe lifting a LARGE dog into the stationary saddle that some carts have might be a bit difficult). This saddle can also be used like a sling to help your dog walk when not in the cart.
Also, Doggonwheels was the first to respond to my queries.
They sell used carts as well.
Good luck with your pup!
No matter where you go, there you are.
Paul Coover

Post by Paul Coover »

The saddle on a Doggon Wheels Cart would be helpful for a large dog, but I would probably look into a cart from K9 Carts. They make carts for dogs who have some walking ability and need to build their strength and confidence. That would be my advice.
Weinerdogs Rule!
-Paul Coover
http://www.myspace.com/paulcoover

Hello from Kebo, Riley, Willy, Johanna, Pork Chop, Auggie, Buddy, Sadie & Spartacus.

We miss you Pedro...
Toni

Dogs can use legs with Doggonwheels cart also

Post by Toni »

Dogs can still use their legs with the Doggonwheels cart as well. You can adjust both the cart height and the saddle fit to allow more or less weight to be carried by the legs.

Ivan had some ability to move his legs and actually was able to walk without his cart last summer (2005) We believe it was because he was able to use his legs and keep up his strength and confidence throughout the winter and spring with his Doggonwheels cart.

Other brands of carts may do the same also.
No matter where you go, there you are.
tveit

Re: Dogs can use legs with Doggonwheels cart also

Post by tveit »

Thank you all so much for your advice. I will have to do some more checking. I need to find him a cart asap, so he is able to build his muscles up. It is hard trying to walk him 6-8 times a day by myself. Plus, he needs to go on his own so he can run or walk as long as he wants to! He can get up half way, but eventually falls after a few steps, or drags the back legs some. I think it has effected his back muscles also. Thank you all - feel free to update me on anything else that might be helpful!
missmabelline

Post by missmabelline »

Hello:

I have an eight month old English bulldog named Mabelline who was diagnosed at five months old with five hemivertebrae. She started limping one day and in the course of a week, it progressed to her basically dragging her rear legs. We took her to a specialty hospital and the neurologist was very pessimistic about her prognosis. They could not perform surgery b/c it involved too many levels. She even advised that I should think about euthanizing her right then and there, since she'd probably be paralyzed by the time she was a year, and that I wouldn't want to be "bothered" with such an animal. Of course, I would never have put her to sleep - my dogs are like children to me (I have two human children and three furry ones). I got some great advice from people right here on this board, and I started swimming her every day in my kids' pool with a life jacket. She loved it! I decided I would just try and strengthen her back and rear legs as much as I could during her growing phase, and hope for the best.

In the course of about a month or so, she is almost completely normal now. She runs and I mean RUNS full force, from one end of the yard to the other; she wrestles my grown bulldog Romeo; she does the "bulldog butt wiggle" when she's happy; she is active and loves life. I was told that many dogs (especially bulldogs) do have hemivertebrae, but they can become asymptomatic. She is a real firecracker! She has slight weakness in her right rear leg, but you cannot notice it. I notice it because I look for it. But in every respect, she has recovered almost completely. We have our fingers (and paws) crossed that it lasts for the rest of her precious life.

Good luck to you and your baby!

Vanessa
Bulldogs Rule!
Wise Owl

Post by Wise Owl »

I also want to thank you guys for the links to the carts. It may be just the thing for Luka. My back and arms are about worn out. She still has a lot of energy and if I get her butt up she does very well at keeping those legs working. I was thinking about a better sling but a cart might work till she gets healed up. I will ask her chiro about one of them next week.

I know 50 lbs doesn't seem like much but when you lift her a few dozen times a day and then have to carry her out the door down 5 steps.....whew...!! My aching back....and then you put the sling on her and she is raring to hit the grass running! I just can't keep up and I can't pull on her neck to slow her down much because of the vertebra that is out in her upper back....

My hubby is almost 65 and he tries to help but after a few times of lifting her he is wiped out also.....we have been sharing it but we are both sore and very tired.....and that is not good.....so I understand what you are saying iviet...completely understand..
Christine

Post by Christine »

My Bailey also weighs 50 - 54 pounds and needs help due to blindness and weakness in her rear legs. My husband built two ramps, one for the front steps and one for the back and we carpeted them...you do not need a slippery surface. What a major difference on my back strain, plus it is much easier for Bailey. The back ramp is longer and does not have as much of an incline so we end up using this one all the time.

Bailey has a harnass so I don't pull on her neck and I use her hip sling when necessary. Just be careful to make it wide enough for the two of you or possibly put railings so that one of you losing footing does not pull the both of you off of it - do I sound like I am talking from experience??

Before the ramps, I really don't know how either of us survived getting up and down steps. I hurt from my collar bones all the way down my back and Lord knows where Bailey hurt because of the lifting and lugging we did.

Good luck with your big baby. Remember, you have to take care of yourself to take care of him.

Love,
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08