Wiseowl...information about Previcox

Neurological Disorders Resources. Treatment and care for pets having pain or trouble walking or standing due to spinal injuries or neurological disorders like IVDD, FCE and DM.
Cindidoxiemom

Wiseowl...information about Previcox

Post by Cindidoxiemom »

http://www.previcox.com/faq/previcox_faq.asp

If you read the side effects listed, you will see that they are the same for previcox, Rimadyl, metacam etc. This is why I always suggest prednisone. It has its problems as well, but I feel it is a better choice. ALL of these drugs, including prednisone have a risk for ulcers and gastric bleeding.

Cindi
I am not a vet; please consult your vet before making any treatment decisions.

Hunter IVDD Surgery x 2~Walking
Oscar IVDD Surgery x 1~ Paralyzed
Sage and Misty
Wise Owl

Re: Wiseowl...information about Previcox

Post by Wise Owl »

Cindi, thank you for the link but I already know the risks. That is why Luka is off Previcox. Why we decided on just a short term of it.

Prednisone is also on the list of things she will not get. It not only can cause stomach problems it can lead to cancer later on. It causes the body's immune system to become compromised eventually. My sister is now passed because of prednisone for her asthma. She ended up with non-hodgkins lymphoma.....
My mother passed also from uncontrolled bleeding and because her bones and body were in such a bad state after years of prednisone......

You couldn't pay me to take prednisone and I will not give it to my dog. There are other anti-inflamitories that work naturally with the dog's body that do not have side effects. That is the goal we are working towards. Not giving phama companies more money.

If a moderator thinks this is too harsh, I apologize. But this is where I stand on these kinds of drugs. I came here looking for help with care other than all the meds stuff. Like how to help her potty, massage techniques, and other therapy.

You all have to make your own decisions based on what you know. I have researched extensively for a month on just what happened to my dog. I have also researched the other meds for years..before this happened to my dog. So I do have opinions with justifications...

We lost our old dog last year. She died from old age at the age of 14. When she turned 11 she had cancer. It was caused in my opinion to commercial pet foods and from vaccinosis...I took her off the foods and put her on real food. I also ceased the vax's....she beat the cancer simply from diet change. She then lived another 2 years.
I will not let this dog go thru what Candy dog went thru.
Nor will I take a chance on her having liver failure or kidney disease or anything else when the warnings are so plainly there.
Cindidoxiemom

Post by Cindidoxiemom »

Wiseowl,
I am a moderator here, and I absolutely do not think your post is too harsh.

My father received a lung transplant and was on prednisone for several years post transplant. I saw the side effects that it caused first hand. My father passed only two years after his transplant. I have also seen the benefits of this drug with my dogs.

I'm truly sorry that you have had such horrible hardships in the past few years. You have my thoughts and prayers...truly.

My suggestions and comments have been made with your pups best intrest at heart. I will allow others to assist you in the future as I feel like my delivery of information has caused you distress.
All the best to you and your pup,
Cindi
I am not a vet; please consult your vet before making any treatment decisions.

Hunter IVDD Surgery x 2~Walking
Oscar IVDD Surgery x 1~ Paralyzed
Sage and Misty
Wise Owl

Post by Wise Owl »

Cindi, thank you. I will take this to a PM...
Dianne

Post by Dianne »

Julie,

None of us want to upset you as we understand how difficult life can be with an ill or disabled pet. It can be VERY distressing. I remember crying for the first few weeks our dog became paralyzed. Connie and the others will tell you that it is normal to feel stressed.

"She ended up with non-hodgkins lymphoma..... " My sympathy to you as my college roommate also died of this illness before 50. There are so very many things that medicine doesn't understand yet. We're all trying to find the best options for our pets. YOU know best what is happening to Luka. We will support you in whatever you do.

One of my cats became diabetic. With a change in diet to all meat, he lost weight (a big cause of feline diabetes), and was no longer diabetic. I understand that there are many options other than pharmaceutical ones. You can try not using any meds and let us know if you have good results. If you have good results using a med we would also like to know what worked, and if you would recommend it to others.

I love the moose pictures in the backyard near the dog run. Are you ever afraid that the bears, cougar or other animals will bite or attack your dogs? Do you have several dogs? I found that my cats were bitten by coons, possums, etc. when we lived in a rural area.

We're also retired, and live on very little. I care for 90 year old parents, and a teenager that just started college. My family runs the full age range. I understand not being able to afford more vet bills, as we could NOT afford surgery for our paralyzed dog. A lot of us here have financial struggles.

Please hang around and tell us more about life in Alaska <Yikes! I mean Maine...having a mental glitch).

Dianne
Last edited by Dianne on Tue Sep 12, 2006 7:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
Wise Owl

Post by Wise Owl »

Alaska? We live in Western Maine....no volcanos or earthquakes up here, "yet". heh. The only animals I worry about hurting my pets are the coyotes and the cougars. Both prey on domestic pets....we have about 4 cougars up here now. A male and female were released a couple years ago and have mated and produced a litter of 2 or 3. They also released a pack of wolves.... grrrrr.......there hasn't been either up her for a hundred years and most would have preferred it to stay that way. But I digress.

When I need antibiotics we use colloidal silver pretty much for everything. It works internally and externally. About the only antibiotic that we use is pennicillian.
Other than that it hasn't much been needed. Our dog and cat are both on raw foods and have done really well. Their coats are shiny, the have great appetites, clean teeth and super energy without being spastic about it. It has only been since she got hurt that I have been cooking it. I worried about the bones being constipating sometimes a tiny bit. Gotta keep things moving along, doncha know?

I will continue to share what I know if you do also. We all have to make our own decisions about what we want to give or have done to our pets based on what we feel inside as right. I usually pray about something then make the decision. I figure I get better answers that way.......

Ok, time for potty run and other stuff for Luka...she just cleaned up a big bowl of chicken.....and a piece of cheese.
I swear if you wrapped cheese around it she would eat most anything.....heh.
Dianne

Post by Dianne »

What is colloidal silver? I've never heard of that. Where can you get it, and how do you use it?

Western Maine? lol....I like that.

Dianne
Wise Owl

Post by Wise Owl »

Diane, you can buy it at the health food stores for about $20 a bottle or make it yourself.
It is a silver colloid. It is made by putting an electrical current thru either silver wire or silver rods. The silver has to be 99.999
pure silver with no trace minerals in it to be safe.

They sell silver generators also but we made our own. I will look up a link for you and post it. It will explain it better.

There is also a new version of silver that is even more potent than what we make at home called Super Silver. That is also pretty pricey but I hear it really works. There are doctors in Africa who used it intraveinously for their patients..human patients.

I have used it for my husband and myself and our pets for years with no ill effects. Only great results and we swear by it.

I will fetch that link for you and for anyone else who may want to check it out.
It is just another way to naturally cure yourself and your pets without pharmaceutical drugs.

http://www.cyberpet.com/cyberdog/articl ... coloid.htm

This explains what it does. There are different brands sold that are not the real deal. You can make it yourself. Or you can buy a bottle of the Super Silver. If I could afford it that is what we would use. But the stuff we make at home using a simple generator with 3 9volt batteries and a bit of electrical wire and some connectors from radio shack and two alligator clips.

The plans are out there also. I have to go help with bowel stuff. heh.....life with Luka goes on.