Bully - Six Weeks Post-Paralysis

Neurological Disorders Resources. Treatment and care for pets having pain or trouble walking or standing due to spinal injuries or neurological disorders like IVDD, FCE and DM.
karkorny

Bully - Six Weeks Post-Paralysis

Post by karkorny »

Just logged on for the first time in awhile. Taking care of Bully has been all-consuming, as you all know with your own babies. I saw Christine's post, asking for an update. Thanks so much for your concern. I took Bully back to the Aiken, SC, rehab clinic Monday night. I think the vet there and I were extra concerned because the first time he was there he ended up having emergency surgery on a perforated ulcer. But that was really only about 10 days into his paralysis. This time he's doing so much better! They tell me his spirits are great, he's relaxed, eating, enjoying the surroundings. Neurologically, his left side is working well, his right rear is doing pretty well, and the doc at rehab told me on the phone last nite that they've seen some slight movement on the right front. So that's really great news. They tell me he's kicking and dog paddling in the pool. Unbelievable! Taking care of Bully has been one of the hardest things I've ever done. Emotionally - but mostly physically. It's times like this you long for a teacup poodle instead of a 100-pound-plus bullmastiff. But the last week before rehab he made so much progress with me here at home. When I'd get him on his cart, he would "help" me by trying to scramble onto it himself. When I'd roll him into the bedroom, all I had to say was, "Get on your bed, Bully," and he'd start dragging himself off the cart and towards his bed. What a good boy! He just wanted to help his mom. Bottom line is, Bully is going to walk!!! Six-and-a-half weeks ago my local vet told me he had never seen a big dog come back from total paralysis, and the underlying implication was I'd be facing putting him down. Boy, was he wrong! You guys told me that, I believed you - and believed in my dog - and what a turnaround he's made. Anyone with a dog with FCE has got to know, the spinal cord can heal. It just takes time. Someone on this forum compared it to a broken bone mending, and I've quoted that multiple times in talking with people about Bully. It just takes time. Anyway, I miss him terribly, but this is my third day of having him gone and the rest has been good. I'm going on my vacation to Florida tomorrow for a week, then picking him up on the way back. I can rest and recuperate now, knowing he's adjusted well at rehab, and that they can capitalize on the progress he's making. Who knows, maybe I'll be able to "walk" him out of there, with a harness and sling. That's how they're moving him about now. Getting this break is wonderful. It's important to get step back and get some perspective on everything. I was really at the breaking point. Hope everyone's babies are doing well. Karen
Christine

Re: Bully - Six Weeks Post-Paralysis

Post by Christine »

Dear Karen,

What wonderful and uplifting news about your (our) Bully boy! This was a great way to start the day. I do hope that some vets keep an eye on our stories. Have a wonderful, restful, renewal in Florida and I am praying that you will be walking your boy out when you get back. Thanks for the inspiring update!

Love,
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08
karkorny

Post by karkorny »

http://www.handicappedpets.com/wp/?p=40
marc robinson posted these pictures of bully at the above link. i hope they're accessible. i haven't tried myself yet, will do so now. a few of the pics are bully pre-fce, then after. bully is the handsome one in all the pics:)
Cindidoxiemom

Post by Cindidoxiemom »

Yayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy a Bully update! So glad to hear Bully continues to improve, and that you are getting a much deserved break!
Enjoy Florida! Don't feel a bit of guilt for leaving him...I left Oscar for 2 1/2 weeks this summer, and the therapy done during that time was better for him than anything that has been done since his surgery!
Keep us updated....we all love Bully...nose kiss for him!
Cindi
I am not a vet; please consult your vet before making any treatment decisions.

Hunter IVDD Surgery x 2~Walking
Oscar IVDD Surgery x 1~ Paralyzed
Sage and Misty
karkorny

Post by karkorny »

Funny, you mention the rehab Oscar went to and his progress. I just got off the phone with the rehab vet and she is singing Bully's praises, as far as advances he's making. She said they took him outside to pee and he actually got into a crouch position and raised his rear about four inches off the ground!!! What an accomplishment for my boy. I really think his bathroom modesty is what's going to give him the incentive to progress. That and still wanting to eat the mailman alive. With the doc's good report today, I know I can go to Florida with a relaxed frame of mind, looking forward to the progress Bully is making while I'm gone! karen
Jane Scott

Post by Jane Scott »

Way to go Bully!!!! and Happy vacation time for Mummy! It's so encouraging to here good news. Thank you for yours. Jane
Harley the "Monkey-boy"
spasmo

Post by spasmo »

YEAH! I am so happy that Bully is making such wonderful progress! Have a wonderful vacation and give Bully a big hug when you get back!
Anna B
proud dog hair collector
Wise Owl

Post by Wise Owl »

What encouraging news! Good for Bully.....

I have a bit of good news about our girl too but I will do that in another thread.....

That is awesome news....the vet we saw this week said something about if Luka didn't keep progressing, blah blah blah....I looked at her and told her there would be a Luka wheelie cart before anyone took her away from us....
She shut up and changed the topic..heh...I will brook no negativity where Luka is concerned...NONE....