Question about dog with degenerative myelopathy

Neurological Disorders Resources. Treatment and care for pets having pain or trouble walking or standing due to spinal injuries or neurological disorders like IVDD, FCE and DM.
nikkiaz

Question about dog with degenerative myelopathy

Post by nikkiaz »

Hello all - wasn't sure if this the right spot or not. It didn't fit under any particular category and I need opinions by Friday at lunch. Thanks for reading!

Seeking advice for my dog Rincon, he's a 10yo Lab/Husky mix with Degenerative Myelopathy. Frustrating b/c he survived radiation for both a nasal tumor and a brain tumor 2 years ago. The radiation did make him almost blind and mostly deaf but he has adapted to those problems very well.

Anyways, we have tried a lot of meds, including holistic meds. He's been on Rimadyl for 6+years for lameness in his front leg, but all bloodwork has been normal, including last week.

His back legs (especially the right one) have very little muscle tone. He no longer can stand by himself (without help) (periodically he can get up if he gets his left leg under him but not very often). Often it takes us a few tries to get him up and often we have to put a muzzle on him because he will turn around and try to bite.

However, once he is up he is pretty much okay walking - unless he takes a sharp right turn, slips on the lineoleum, or one of the other dogs bumps him. He is pretty alert and wants attention all the time. His appetite has been decreased - the vet says to feed him what he wants - but he gets bad diarrhea with the "good" stuff and since he can't get up he lays in it all day if he has an accident.

Outside, he sometimes can stand to eliminate and sometimes he falls over and then does it. He is able to go on (short) (several block) walks almost every day and usually doesn't fall unless he makes a sharp movement.

My main question is...the vet (who has been wonderful) has said that he could also go on prednisone as a "last resort." But everything that I have read about pred & DM says that it shouldn't be used b/c it causes further muscle wasting. Does anyone have experience with this?

Should I do this (going to see the vet tomorrow)? Will it enable him to get up and down more by himself? Realistically, I know that he's probably got several months left (at most) but I want to make him as comfortable & happy as possible.

He's on some kind of opiate painkiller that "takes the edge off" and that has helped, but has not helped him get up easier. Adequan injections helped a little but he's at the end of the shot cycle. He enjoys massages. Aquatic therapy is not feasible b/c of a lack of facilities.

This is our second DM dog...we lost the first one (Shamus) 4 years ago. Shamus had a temperament where he could use a cart (and did for 6 months) but Rincon has had that "Husky mentality" (as the vet calls it) where he hates having his legs/feet touched, so a cart is not an option. We bought a "back end" harness to help us get him up (he's 60 lbs) but he fought us so much while we were moving his legs to put it on that we gave up. Plus you are not supposed to leave it on, and that's really what we need (when we are at home anyways) so we can help him get up.

I appreciate you reading this long post, and any advice you can give me regarding the prednisone. He's still got a great attitude (despite being abused before we got him and his two cancers) and this is so heartbreaking for us (for the second time)!

Thanks so much,

Nikki
Cindidoxiemom

Re: Question about dog with degenerative myelopathy

Post by Cindidoxiemom »

Hi Nikki and welcome to you and Rincon,

This is sort of one of those questions that really doesn't have an easy answer. Rincon is continuing to worsen, your worried about quality of life...Prednisone could help a little, could make things worse.

I have had my dogs on prednisone in the past for short term usage. It helped them both post op after IVDD surgery.

Prednisone like Rimadyl can cause ulcers and gastric bleeding. This really is your call. The Rimadyl would have to be stopped and Ricon's system would have to be clean of the Rimadyl before starting the Prednisone. Mixing a steroid like Prednisone with an NSAID like Rimadyl is a big no no.

Talk to your vet and weigh the pros and cons. I'm sorry that Rincon isn't a good candidate for a cart. Keep us updated and let us know what you decide.
Cindi
I am not a vet; please consult your vet before making any treatment decisions.

Hunter IVDD Surgery x 2~Walking
Oscar IVDD Surgery x 1~ Paralyzed
Sage and Misty
Paul Coover

Post by Paul Coover »

Well, we had our Riley on prednisone for some time while he was down, but it never seemed to do very much for him. He recovered after a few months of not taking the pred, so I would not know if it is helpful or not.

I would still look into getting a cart. There are so many different types of carts, perhaps there is one that is right for you and your dog. I have seen huskys in carts before, so maybe it is worth at least a little research.

Weinerdogs Rule!
-Paul Coover
http://www.myspace.com/paulcoover

Hello from Kebo, Riley, Willy, Johanna, Pork Chop, Auggie, Buddy, Sadie & Spartacus.

We miss you Pedro...
rozzi80

Post by rozzi80 »

You might want to check out this site. There are a few good cart makers, but this page has a picture of a husky going all out.

http://www.eddieswheels.com/

We actually just ordered a cart for Beemer from eddie's last week. Cant wait until it arrives.
Ledra
and
Beemer, AKA The Mysterious Mr. B!
Dachshund Extraordinaire