Update on Lilly, my foster kitten

Neurological Disorders Resources. Treatment and care for pets having pain or trouble walking or standing due to spinal injuries or neurological disorders like IVDD, FCE and DM.
dexnleilaOH

Update on Lilly, my foster kitten

Post by dexnleilaOH »

The kittens went to the vet today, and the news for Lilly is not good. The vet thinks she has nerve damage, causing her problem with her hind legs and her incontinence. He didn't really do an extensive exam, just looked at her legs and commented that she doesn't seem to have any proprioception. He doesn't think she will improve over time.
He is your friend, your defender, your partner, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion." -Unknown
critters
Founding Member

Re: Update on Lilly, my foster kitten

Post by critters »

She might have spina bifida or something, but that's all manageable.
mumpkees

Post by mumpkees »

I'm sorry, what is proprioception? I'm in agreement with Critters - if kitten is healthy, eating, normal good quality of life issues, then incontinence, spina bifida, neuro damage is manageable and actually quite easily by a knowledgeable (or willing to learn) loving caregiver. Is the kitten a Manx? Does kitten have a tail or a depression where the tail should have been? Kitten is still very young isn't she? I'd be very hesitant to consider pts at such a young age - our Junior came to us at 5 weeks totally rear paralyzed. With time, good nutrition and a small amount of PT Junior while still having some neuro damage is able to walk and jump and climb. Bentley came to us at 4 weeks, both rear legs bent and twisted and his left rear foot facing completely upside down paw pad to the sky. We truly did not think he would get better but he'd sit in Lee's lap and she would gently rub and massage and manipulate the joint and one day I looked up and saw a streak of grey going across the floor with all four feet flat on the floor! His legs are still bent and his gait unique, but it doesn't stop him from climbing on the table and jumping to the counters.

Cats are remarkable creatures and you'd be amazed at their ability to adapt and find a manner of locomotion that gets them from point A to B. Kieffer with no rear legs or feet, does a handstand and can beat me to the kitchen at feeding time. He climbs the mesh of the playpen to steal Dallas's (Katrina rescue rear paralyzed with rear legs bone straight to the right side of her body) food and use her special potty.

Give this little guy a chance - if she is not in pain or seriously ill, she deserves a chance - maybe she 'won't get better', but maybe she won't get worse either and if she's healthy, there is a caregiver out there who will open home and heart to her. This board and the yahoo groups are an amazing wealth of information and tips for caring for a special furchild and even for helping them find a home and transport to that home. /mari
/mari
Spiritcat and the Mooseheart Mumpkees of southeastern Texas
Jean

Post by Jean »

dexnleilaOH wrote:The kittens went to the vet today, and the news for Lilly is not good. The vet thinks she has nerve damage, causing her problem with her hind legs and her incontinence. He didn't really do an extensive exam, just looked at her legs and commented that she doesn't seem to have any proprioception. He doesn't think she will improve over time.
There are proprioceptors in the muscles and tendons as well as the balance sensors. These provide information as far as the "feel" of the movement. A pet uses this feedback to make fine adjustments whenever they move.
As a result, my dog who has disc problems does not weight bear while pooping because he lacks proprioceptive feedback. He doesn't receive appropriate feedback from his muscles and tendons and his hind legs go into extension and he looses all weight bearing abilities. He may improve but he may not.
Lilly, like my dog, doesn't receive appropriate feedback from her muscles and tendons. This lack of feedback affects her abilities to move around, etc.
As has been mentioned previous, Lilly can lead a good quality life if given appropriate care. You can learn to express her bladder and she will learn to move around. There is a wealth of information on this web site and people more than willing to assist you. Also, if that is not an option then, we can direct you to web sites that will assist you in finding a caring and compassionate caregiver. A disabled pet can have a good quality as well as a happy life all it takes are adaptions and someone willing to go the extra mile.
dexnleilaOH

Post by dexnleilaOH »

Hi, thanks for the responses everyone.
We already have a special needs beagle, her name is Sam.
http://www.handicappedpets.com/gallery/sam0605/

I am used to expressing an animal, so that isn't a big deal to me at all.
Lilly can walk, run, climb, and scratch herself just like the other kittens. She just doesn't walk as fast, or as straight. When she is running I can't even tell there is anything wrong with her.
Here is a picture of her.

Image[/img]
She is available for adoption in 2 weeks, she is already listed on Petfinder. Hopefully she will find someone who adores her as much as I do!!!
Maureen
He is your friend, your defender, your partner, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion." -Unknown
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

What a cutie!!!!
dexnleilaOH

Post by dexnleilaOH »

Yeah, she is adorable!!
Not too sure about us keeping her, our beagle is not cat friendly in the least. She would have to be confined to the upstairs while we weren't home, we would bring her downstairs in the evening with Sam in the bedroom- securely in the bedroom!
I guess that's what she is used to now though.
Hmmmmm...
dexnleilaOH

Post by dexnleilaOH »

Just a Lilly update...
(Obviously we wound up keeping her...)
She recently had what little tail she had amputated. What a difference! She can go in the litter box and actually pee and poop without getting everything stuck under her tail. I think she may have a neuropathy of some sort, because she never bothered the sutures or licked the site. She's doing well, I'm so glad I had the surgery done!
We did move to a new house and the cats have full roam of the basement, it's partially finished and 1500 square feet. We are down there a lot because our computer is there. Plus we wash and dry laundry in the basement, which seems to be a never ending task.
Christine

Lily

Post by Christine »

I Love a happy ending...Lily is precious!
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

I am so glad she has a home where she is loved. Looking forward to the new pictures when you get your computer situation all straightened out! :)