Crawling Puppies Falling Down

Neurological Disorders Resources. Treatment and care for pets having pain or trouble walking or standing due to spinal injuries or neurological disorders like IVDD, FCE and DM.
Arf Arf Arf

Crawling Puppies Falling Down

Post by Arf Arf Arf »

Help: My miniature schnazuer had 7 pups on August 5 2006. Five are normal and frisky and playing around. Two males are handicapped. They cannot walk or stand up and fall over. I had them on the grassy lawn and they can crawl around and move as if they have multiple sclerosis. Ihave been hand feeding them and the mother has been nursing them. They eat well, are bright eyes and responsive and eat well but they just cannot get up at all and just crawl around. I have them in a play pen and do take them out with the others. The local private animal shelter said I should take them to a vet and have them "put to sleep". Every time I handle them they are responsive and seem to know that I care and cannot do such a thing as they did nothing to deserve such an ending at the beginning of their life. On Sept. 18 Ihave an appointment with a lady vet who said she would take a look at them but I will not let her authanize them. Because I have 3 dogs and the 7 puppies I am in distress. Two days ago I gave up one of the boys I had to the private shelter. I know I am to blame because when my female schnauzer #1 died, I made the mistake of getting a chin dog and not getting him neutered. My schnauzer #2 was 9 years old and the spay clinic said she was too old to be spayed and here she turned around and had 4 pups of which I kept 2 and now 7 pups. The boys I have now are being neutered in the clinic as of this writing. But maybe somebody can give me advise about the two handicapped pups. I won't be able to keep them perhaps after they are 3 months old. Thank you.
critters
Founding Member

Re: Crawling Puppies Falling Down

Post by critters »

Sounds like it could be cerebellar hypoplasia. Check out the posts about Weeble and Weeble, 2 puppers with CH.

PS--You might also see today's post by mumpkees about kitties with CH. http://handicappedpets.net/viewtopic.php?t=6182
michelle

Re: Crawling Puppies Falling Down- Can I help?

Post by michelle »

Hi- I just read about your puppies that are falling down. It definitely sounds like they have cerebellar hypoplasia. I am not sure where you are located but I would definitely help you out with the pups. I am a pediatric physical therapist who has kids with special needs that I adopted as well as I have 3 dogs with special needs. I have been looking to adopt another puppy with special needs. Let me know if I can help you out. Michelle