Advice PLEASE! Dog paralyzed!

Neurological Disorders Resources. Treatment and care for pets having pain or trouble walking or standing due to spinal injuries or neurological disorders like IVDD, FCE and DM.
Amyeiss

Advice PLEASE! Dog paralyzed!

Post by Amyeiss »

We found out over the weekend that our beloved two year old Snoodle
(part Schnauzer, part Poodle) is paralyzed from the waist down and
will not recover, even after all the treatments the vets did for him.

Everyone, vet included, keeps telling me to 'let him go' but I am so
torn. He is my baby and I feel he deserves my every effort.

The vet says he is healthy otherwise but keeps stating that it is very
costly, both financially and emotionally, to raise a handicapped dog.
Can someone please offer me some advice on what best to do for my pup?

I don't want to euthanize him just because he will be harder to take
care of. If he can live a halfway normal life and be happy, shouldn't
I give him that chance?

What are the cons, i.e., infections, bed sores, disease suseptibility?
The vets are scaring the heck out of me, telling me everything that
can go wrong.

Are disabled pets this hard to take care of and integrate into the home?

Any advice, pro or con, is most appreciated. The vet is asking me to
decide today.
Dianne

Re: Advice PLEASE! Dog paralyzed!

Post by Dianne »

Welcome! You've come to the right place. We understand the frightening diagnosis of paralysis. We know how exhausted and hopeless you feel. A lot of us have been there. Most of us have met vets that will put a pet to sleep rather than teach you how to handle the illness. The vets tried to scare me, too.

There are many of us on this site who have paralyzed pets of various sizes, who have or have NOT had surgery but maintain good health with their pets by doing some relatively simple things.

(1) Inorder to help you better we need to know if the vet diagnosed a disk injury (IVDD) or a spinal stroke (FCE). It is important to determine the diagnosis so you know what to do next. Does he have pain?

(2) Did the vet recommend surgery? Some pets are able to recover from IVDD with surgery.

About 80% of FCE, spinal strokes, recover some or all of their ability to walk.

(3) Is your dog currently in crate rest on steroids? In cases of disk injury it is best to **immediately crate rest**, only take him out to go potty, and then confine him in a small area (crate) from 4 to 6 weeks.

(4) The next most important question is : **Can your dog urinate controllably, or does the urine dribble on his bedding (incontinent)?** If he has a severe injury, and cannot urinate controllably, you will need to express his urine. If he is incontinent and you don't express his urine he could get a bladder or kidney failure. There are many of us who do this daily to keep our pets healthy. The directions are posted on the "Incontinence and Kidney Problems" forum.

My doxie (22 lbs.) is paralyzed from the waist down and incontinent for 1 1/2 years. I express his urine about 4 times per day. He stays dry in his bed at night. If you express urine, there is usually no urine scald, no bedsores. He is now a wheelchair dog, but can also scoot around the floor faster than I can catch him.

Disabled pets require a bit more work on your part, but it is not impossible. You will be more frustrated about his paralysis than he will. Dogs don't care if they are paralyzed.

Someone else is sure to be along later tonight to tell you about their paralyzed or recovered pets. Paul, Connie, Cindi all have smaller dogs that are paralyzed or in recovery. They will tell you also that their pets are HAPPY. They may be along later.

Meanwhile, if he is incontinent, read how to express. You can't go more than a day without doing that if he is incontinent. We're here to guide you through this.

Dianne
Last edited by Dianne on Tue Sep 19, 2006 5:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
connie

Post by connie »

hello and welcome,
like dianne said, you've come to the right place. i get so mad when vets tell owners there is no hope. i wasn't told that exactly, but wasn't given much. my cricket ( yorkie mix) had a ruptured disk last nov. he had surgery, vet said not to hope for much, he almost was put down. well at the last minute vet said no, we were gonna work on him, thank god. now 10 months later, he is amazing, can spinal walk all over house, i can't even catch him. and just today vet told me he was getting deep pain back in hind legs. Miracle!!!( he wags his tail now too!!)
your pet can have a happy , healthy life paralyzed, even if it stays that way. but first things first< like dianne said, when you bring it home, COMPLETELY CRATE REST<even> cricket had to be crated for 6 weeks, only out to empty his bladder and do some P.T. on legs.
it can't be let to drag or move around much, it needs time to heal just like us humans. do range of motion excerises on hind legs to keep them from being stiff. after it is healed good, then there are all kinds of therapy to do to help it learn to walk again.
cricket does hyrotherapy 3 times a week in my bathtub, it has helped him a lot.
as far as the cost, surgery was high, i spent a lot, but after he healed, i am not out much money. there are a lot here who never had the surgery. please also make sure vets train you on emptying bladder. if it does not get empty and pet can't pee on it's own, it will get a UTI, infections are ugly. i been blessed, cricket has never had one. i empty him 3 times a day. if vets won't show you, take him to one that will. or we can walk you through it here. crickets bowels move on their own.
it will be stressful at first on you, but it will get easier i promise, we have all here lived through it. there are so many here with pets worse than mine will ever be and they are so very happy . i believe you want to try, so we will help all we can. and if you want to see how they can recover , check out cricket's video on www.youtube.com .... click on videos, then type in "another walking video of cricket" in the search.
this little dog, like so many others here , overcame the odds.
you are in my prayers, please keep us updated.
hugs,
connie and cricket
Wise Owl

Post by Wise Owl »

Hi, our dog is not paralyzed but is still unable to walk, yet...she hurt her back in two places about 5 weeks ago. We are doing chiropractic on her now for the past 3 weeks. She lost her ability to walk by herself about 4 weeks ago and 2 weeks ago she couldn't walk at all, even with a sling.
The vets say she has two pinched nerves in her back. Thoracic and lumbar region that is why the chiro adjustments.

It would help us a lot if you tell us exactly what you know about your dog, how it happened and if the vet said what happened. Have there been any x-rays or myelograms or MRI's done yet? Has an orthepedist or a neurologist seen the dog?

If you rely solely on your vets opinion without the tests you have no idea what is really going on with him/her.

Bladder expression is not so tough to do. Our dog is a small 50 lb Malamute and we express her bladder and help her move her bowels...she could probably do her bowels herself but she is a big dog and even though I gave her back end a haircut she still has a very fluffy full tail that I won't cut and least not yet.

She is getting her legs back a little at a time. She can feel them she just can make them do exactly what she wants them to do, "yet".
Don't give up hope. Even if your dog does not walk in the back, there are great aids to help them get around by themselves.

Follow the advice that was given above and find out more answers, even if you have to go to another vet. We are on number 3 so far....already fired our long time vet and another one. grin..
Cindidoxiemom

Post by Cindidoxiemom »

Hi and Welcome~
We have lots of options and care help for paralyzed dogs, but we really need to know the diagnosis in order to give the best and most apt suggestions for recovery and care.

I have two IVDD puppers...one is walking and one remains paralyzed...I have two other dogs with other ailments and illnesses.

Taking care of a paralyzed pets takes a bit of getting used to, but honestly it can be done with very little extra effort. My Oscar has been paralyzed for a year now, and his care takes me about a total of 15 minutes a day. He is a happy and healthy pupper who just spent an hour sitting on his grandma's lap getting lots of love. He has a wonderful life.

I don't understand you vet requiring you to make a decision right away. This is your baby...YOU are in charge.

Get a diagnosis and condition (bladder/bowel control? deep pain sensation?).

I agree with Dianne that crate rest and steroids are a common way to begin treatment for both FCE and IVDD, so it might be wise to start there. DONT LET YOUR DOG MOVE ABOUT OR SCOOT. He should be in the crate except to potty or be expressed and you should carry him for that.

MANY MANY MANY paralyzed animals have recovered....don't give up!
Cindi[/quote]
I am not a vet; please consult your vet before making any treatment decisions.

Hunter IVDD Surgery x 2~Walking
Oscar IVDD Surgery x 1~ Paralyzed
Sage and Misty
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Amyeiss wrote:The vet says he is healthy otherwise but keeps stating that it is very costly, both financially and emotionally, to raise a handicapped dog.
Hi Amy (is "Amy" OK?), you have come to the right place! :)

I'm just shaking my head over this business of it being costly to have a paralyzed dog. I don't know why he says that. If you are going to buy a wheelchair (which you may never need), several of the brands can be expensive, but it is a one-time expense and there is at least one inexensive brand that works well. You can also make your own, we have instructions for that.

http://www.dogstogo.net/ (inexpensive wheelchairs)

The same goes for a walking harness. There are at least as many ways to do-it-yourself as there are readymade brands of walking harnesses. Believe me, we have a lot of do-it-yourselfers here! ;)

http://www.handicappedpets.com/cgi-bin/msg/webbbs_config.pl?read=22913 (homemade slings)

If your pet is incontinent and needs diapers (my dog is paralyzed and has never needed diapers) it is up to you whether you want to pay for disposable diapers every time you go to the store or use cloth and wash them. We have instructions on using a diaper pail if you are too young to remember. Also, since your dog is a boy, he can wear a male wrap (a belly band with a pad in it). Pads are cheaper than diapers and one person used a cloth diaper for the absorbent pad she put in her dog's belly band.

https://www.handicappedpets.com/mediawiki/?title=Diaper_pail (Diaper pail)

Some pets get urinary tract infections and need antibiotics. Usually antibiotics are not expensive, but you can avoid most infections with good bladder care.

http://www.handicappedpets.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=Express_a_dog_or_cat (bladder care)

I guess if you want to take your dog to pet physical therapy, that would be expensive, that's true, but most of us do PT at home. We can give you information on that as well.

https://www.handicappedpets.com/mediawiki/?title=Physical_therapy_for_paralysis (physical therapy)

No, it does not have to be expensive to have a paralyzed pet.

Is you dog big, like a standard poodle and standard schnauzer, or is he smaller? How much does he weigh?
Amyeiss

Post by Amyeiss »

All I can say... to all of you... is THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK
YOU!!!!

Because so many of you have responded and have asked many questions, this post will be lengthy. I apologize in advance for that, but want to give you all as much information as possible.

THE INJURY:
Honestly, I don't know exactly what did happen to him. He had back pain before (6 months ago) and we had taken him to the vet, who looked him over and stated it was likely just a pinched nerve or a pulled muscle. He recovered fully and we all went on...

Wednesday morning when we all left the house he was fine...running around the kids, begging for a ride in the car... normal morning festivities. We left him outside as it was a nice day and went about our normal routine.

That night, we all came home and he was his usual happy tail-wagging self but then around 10 p.m. I noticed that he wouldn't jump up on the bed when I called him up. I picked him up, laid him down beside me and we both fell asleep.

The next morning he still wasn't jumping but otherwise seemed fine but that evening, around 11 p.m., I saw him with his back arched on the back porch. Assuming he was constipated and having a BM, I walked away from the window to wash the dishes.

When I called him in about 20 minutes later, he was slow to respond and was still arching his back. I had him lay down next to me. I was very scared and didn't know what to do but he fell fast asleep and seemed to be in no pain or distress.

That following morning, I pulled his crate out of the closet, anticipating taking him to the vet. When he awoke, he was lethargic and that's when I realized he was trying to scoot up to sit. I tried to assist him up and realized his back legs weren't working at all!

I cried for the kids to get ready for school, put the pup in the kennel and rushed him to the vet after dropping of the little ones.

So, honestly, I don't know what may have happened. At first I thought he fell off something but the vet saw no fractures...nothing... He stated that small breed dogs, esp. mixed breeds, have tendencies towards back problems. He said he could have jumped wrong or caught his back while chasing the neighborhood cat.

The vet did x-rays and found two ruptured discs that were leaking. I could not afford the Mylogram so the vet was unable to determine the extent of the injury. No one knows for sure what happened and that makes it even harder to understand all of this.

I do not know exactly what IVDD is… and it’s all conjecture at this point but I suppose it is possible Malcolm could have had a stroke… But he’s only 2 ½ years old…. Still a pup, really. It’s all very frustrating and sad…

He is paralyzed from the waist down. The doctor says he feels nothing, no pain. He has no use of his legs, cannot move his tail and cannot urinate on his own. I have been expressing his bladder for him. Last night, I was lying beside him and his tail brushed my leg! I was so excited but realized that it was likely an involuntary reaction as he soon had a BM afterwards. At least those muscles still work.

MALCOLM IS HOME!
Yesterday was a very low point for me since Malcolm became ill and I didn't know where to turn, so finding your message board was a ray of hope for me!

I brought Malkie (his nickname) home last night. The children were ecstatic to see their little buddy.

Before going to the vet, I stopped by the local pet store (chain pet stores seemingly do not cater to disabled pets) to get a few things I read that I would need to get him through… a diaper, pad inserts, pee-pee pads, a new chew toy… anything I could find that I thought might make him more comfortable. The selection was VERY limited!

At the vet, I held Malkie for a long time and asked God for strength – strength to know whether I should take him home or allow him to `go'.

Malcolm was so calm and so seemingly happy. Even though he just lay in my arms, I felt that he wanted to go home. I sensed his desire to keep living.

The vet was very stern on the phone before I got there, so I was even more determined to take my buddy home. I knew I had made that decision already. So, when the doctor came into the room, I was ready for a fight.

Surprisingly, he was very friendly, informative and comforting. Perhaps all the prequel up to that point was a `test' to see if I was strong enough to take on the task of raising a disabled pet…
Conjecture only, mind you, as I didn't bother to ask the doctor his take on the matter.

I have to admit that last night was very hard… both for my pup and me… and there were moments that I wondered if I had made the correct decision. I am still not sure this morning however, I want to believe that I am doing the best for Malkie.

He has diarrhea really bad – it's almost tar-like and hard to remove from the skin and fur – Perhaps a side effect of the medication, diet, nerves, or a combination of the three. I gave him four baths over the course of 12 hours because I didn't want him to lie in his own waste. I tried and tried to express his bladder like the vet showed me but it wasn't working to my liking. Before his last bath last night, I laid him on his side and, as I was removing his diaper I must have pushed just right because urine streamed out like a water fountain! I was so happy that I squealed, startling my poor pup! I pressed and pressed until nothing more would come out and
then I bathed him so he wouldn't get urine scalding. In time, I am sure I will learn how to do the expressing while he's standing up so as not to make a huge mess.

Even still, this morning, it appears he has redness and irritation around his anus and a sore on his left hip. I was a bit discouraged after all the care I took to ensure he was clean but I will carry on
and try to do things differently… better… I did remember someone mentioning Bag Balm and I just happened to have some from when Malcolm got a hot spot last year. It worked really well, so I slathered that all over his hiney and hip before leaving this morning in hopes it will start healing.

I know it is going to take a LOT of work and a LOT of patience but I am willing to try.

I do have to say that I am concerned by his listlessness. I don't know if he's tired or sad or just plain bored. He just lies around and hasn't tried pulling himself up or scooting around like I saw
him do at the vet's office. It is my hope that once I can get the diarrhea under control and get him back on his feeding schedule so that I can guesstimate the timing of his BM's, that the kids and I
can start encouraging him to move around instead of just laying there – but now that I think about it, he was a lazy little dog at times anyway – And my father, who was an engineer for 23 years is
chomping at the bit to try and design Malkie a rigging or cart so that he can get around. I will let you all know how that works out.

Some questions:

1) DIAPERS – What is best to use???
2) WIPES – Baby type or should I pay extra for the doggie ones???
3) RASHES – Any suggestions for the bed sores and stuff that really work? Should I try Preparation H wipes on him to reduce the swelling and redness on his behind?
4) PLAYTIME – How do you get a dog motivated that just wants to lay there, and is that a sign of being tired or bored, of or being defeated, or is it too soon to speculate?
5) CRATING – My vet said nothing of crate rest but alas, that is where Malkie is this morning. I felt so guilty leaving him in there alone and confined, however from reading your posts, it seems that perhaps that is what I am to do. Could you please expand upon the crating, what to do, expect, etc?<<<

THANK YOU ALL… and sorry for the lengthiness of this post! Thanks for reading all the way to the end! I hope I answered all your questions. If not, please let me know as I want to give you all as much information as possible so that I can take care of Malkie as best as possible!

Sincerely,
Amy
Amyeiss

Post by Amyeiss »

Malcolm is a poodle-schnauzer mix and is approximately 12 pounds. He is small, close to a miniature poodle size.
Amyeiss

Post by Amyeiss »

I live in Sugar Land, Texas area so I am in your backyard!
Paul Coover

Post by Paul Coover »

Well, crate rest is the most important thing right now. Crate rest means that he stays in the crate all the time, except to take him out to be expressed. Now, some other things.

It is very traumatic at first when you have never dealt with a dog being down. We first dealt with it 4 years ago with our Riley, a dachshund. He recovered from his condition, and his complete story can be seen here:

www.handicappedpets.com/gallery/riley11/

We also have 2 other disabled dachshunds that use wheelchair carts. That is something to consider in the future, but crate rest is paramount at this time.

Many people think that caring for and dealing with a handicapped pet is difficult. Well, honestly, at times it is very difficult. But the rewarding feeling that you get from having a happy handicapped animal is 100 times stronger than any feeling of remorse or pity. but at first it is very tough, but that is why we are here! Lean on us for help and support to make things easier.

If you want to see our Johanna, check this out:

http://www1.whdh.com/features/articles/specialreport/BO25472/

Click on the video part to see Johanna in action.

Good luck to you, and is you have any questions, PLEASE ask! We are here to help.

Pork Chop in his cart

Johanna wants to play!
Weinerdogs Rule!
-Paul Coover
http://www.myspace.com/paulcoover

Hello from Kebo, Riley, Willy, Johanna, Pork Chop, Auggie, Buddy, Sadie & Spartacus.

We miss you Pedro...
Amyeiss

Post by Amyeiss »

Thank you so much for sharing your stories with me. I couldn't help but cry when I saw the videos and read your puppies stories.
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Hi Amy,

Short on time so only a partial answer but others will be along today and I can write more later tonight. Most important, please post the medications your dog is currently on for others to read later.
He stated that small breed dogs, esp. mixed breeds, have tendencies towards back problems. He said he could have jumped wrong or caught his back while chasing the neighborhood cat.
More correctly, it frequently affects dogs with long backs. Many of them are small, like dachshunds, corgis, shih tsus and beagles, but some are large like bassetts. It can also affect all breeds with aging or the right injury.
The vet did x-rays and found two ruptured discs that were leaking. I could not afford the Mylogram so the vet was unable to determine the extent of the injury. <snip>I do not know exactly what IVDD is… and it’s all conjecture at this point but I suppose it is possible Malcolm could have had a stroke…
If they definitely saw a disk problem on the x-ray, then it probably isn't a stroke. Sometimes they can't diagnose by x-ray, but this might be a case where he could.
He has diarrhea really bad – it's almost tar-like and hard to remove from the skin and fur – Perhaps a side effect of the medication, diet, nerves, or a combination of the three. I gave him four baths over the course of 12 hours because I didn't want him to lie in his own waste.
This concerns me greatly. If diarrhea is black, that can indicate intestinal bleeding. Intestinal bleeding can be a side effect of steroids like Prednisone. Please call your vet and tell him about the black tarry stools. I would NOT give him any more medication until you clear with the vet exactly what is going on. The vet does not know about the black diarrhea unless you tell him. That could be why your dog is listless (aside from the discomfort in his sore back) if he is developing GI ulcers. PLEASE go over the list of meds with your vet right away.

Out of time, others will be by soon.
Cindidoxiemom

Post by Cindidoxiemom »

Amy~
Don't second guess yourself hon...you have done the right thing. It is just going to take some time for BOTH of you to get used to the changes.

I agree with Paul.....If they say a disc extrusion, this is most likely IVDD.

Crate rest just as Paul described is number one on your list of "to dos".

Carol is 100% right on the BMs. If it is black as you describe it can mean blood. It would be helpful to know what meds your pup is on.

There are so many of us here caring for paralyzed dogs, cats, ferrets and other furry ones. Your not alone. We will see you though this. By the way, don't give up hope that he may walk again.

I am north of Houston, and can recommend some good vets if your interested in holistic or more aggressive treatment.
Cindi
I am not a vet; please consult your vet before making any treatment decisions.

Hunter IVDD Surgery x 2~Walking
Oscar IVDD Surgery x 1~ Paralyzed
Sage and Misty
FYI

Post by FYI »

Cindidoxiemom wrote:Crate rest just as Paul described is number one on your list of "to dos".
http://www.dodgerslist.com/lit/After_Surgery.htm
Amyeiss

Post by Amyeiss »

Thanks all for the ongoing advice.

You know, I never thought that telling people about my pup's BM's would ever be of any importance but I have to say that I am cautiously optimistic after going home at lunch today to check on Malkie.

While I was expressing him, he had a BM... it was not as dark as before and it was firm! I was so excited! I never thought I would be excited about something such as this!!! ;)

As far as expressing him, it's still very hard for me but it's only my first full day of doing so.

Since all of you have been so helpful to me, I want to share a new 'trick' I tried at lunch today.

Because I am so tentative with him and his back end gets kind of squirmy with me because his front legs are not that strong yet, I am still only able to do it while he's lying on his side. To keep the mess to a minimum, I placed a Ziploc baggie over him while expressing his bladder and it helped so much! It didn't get on his fur or run onto the towel underneath him.

I just thought I would pass that on, for all you other newbies out there.

As far as medications, he is on an antibiotic and Prednisone (Spelled incorrectly, sorry). I will have to check the name of the antibiotic tonight.

Another quick question: He won't eat any dog food I offer to him but he will scarf down a hot dog, Vienna sausage or piece of balogna. Is this okay to feed while I am trying to get him used to everything? I figure eating 'something' is better than nothing but I don't want to upset his system anymore than it already is.

Thanks!