My Angel is Paralyzed

Neurological Disorders Resources. Treatment and care for pets having pain or trouble walking or standing due to spinal injuries or neurological disorders like IVDD, FCE and DM.
Michelle Mamaradlo

My Angel is Paralyzed

Post by Michelle Mamaradlo »

Hi Everyone,
I was on a forum once when one of my other cockers was sick and it helped me get through it.
This is why I am here.
We came home Sunday night from a weekend show,Angel jumped down high from a chair, I wasn't there but when she came upstairs she did not want to jump up in the bed...okay...so I picked her up. In the morning I just didn't like the look on her face. So I didn't put her in the doggie room and put her alone in a crate. I checked on her at lunch, all was good, let her out, put her back in the crate. She ate supper, and then did not want to go up the steps to sleep as she always does. I am so GLAD I picked her up, carried her and put her right next to me in bed. At 2 am ...I sensed something...I turned on the lights, she looked as if she was dying. Her back legs were paralyzed and she was dragged them and crawling on her front paws on the bed toward me.
At 3 am I got her to Garden State Critical Care Facility,,,,they confirmed that she was paralyzed, they suspected cancer,,but it's not. They asked for $6,000 deposit and put her in for emergency MRI and then surgery. It;s a herniated disk. I couldn't go and see the first night as she was heavily medicated with morphine...I went the next night and it was so sad to see her all sewn up. They say her prognosis is good to regain normal mobility because I acted so quickly.
The vet tells me that in Angel's case it is degenerative damage, she will be 10 years old this March.
The bill turned out to be $5,100.00 exactly, But Angel still cannot use her rear paws. I carry her to potty 4 times a day and hold her for a bit. They say that I got her there in time but there are no guarantees about her mobility. I just couldn't do otherwise but try to help her. They said her heart, lungs and bloodwork were all perfect.
Angel mothered 2 litters for me and produced the top performance cockers in the country.
Angel has all her obedience titles and at age 7 she even debuted in agility.
She has worked by my side in my private practice in social work with delayed children too.
Michelle
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

Re: My Angel is Paralyzed

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

Michelle, PLEASE register up at the top blue button. You have to register in order to post below. Folks are going to miss sthis message up here. How frightening! There are folks who have DD, and a lot of folks w/paralysis. We can help you on this journey. I am SO SORRY for your bad news for Angel.
Welcome!
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
Lethal White Aussies Rule!
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!
http://www.s8.createphpbb.com/lethalwhiteauss/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LethalWhiteAussieRescue/
Dianne

Post by Dianne »

Michelle,

Welcome. Karen is correct about registering at the top of this page. Most of the members don't read this list and would miss your letter. We have a lot of links to sites that will help you learn how to care for Angel.

First: Many of us have paralyzed dogs with or without surgery. The vet is correct that the surgery is NOT a guarantee, but MANY dogs do walk after surgery coupled with *CRATE REST (4 to 6 weeks) and steroids* to reduce the swelling. Angel may also need some pain meds, too.

She could have a good quality of life as a cart dog, too. Some of the members use their paralyzed cart dogs as therapy dogs.

Second: Is Angel incontinent? If so, we can help you learn how to express urine so that she can be healthier. Instructions are posted on the "Incontinent and Kidney Problems" forum below.

Third: Don't allow the vet to tell you that she will never recover. Recovery from spinal surgery is often very slow.

We have many helpful, compassionate people who read this board and would tell you what worked for them. We understand how difficult this time is for you.

Dianne
connie

Post by connie »

so very sorry about angel, so scary for you both.
buttttttttt, you did right thing putting her in a crate right away.
if i had done that, my boy would not have blown a disk. so now,
don't let vets tell you she will never walk, it is possible. my cricket proved vets wrong and so many in here did also.
it will be a long haul, but with time comes improvement.
like the others said, please crate , cricket had to be for 6 weeks after surgery. only out to potty and P.T.
you will need to have vets show you how to empty bladder if angel can't. but we are here to help you, just ask anything. we all have been there, done that, right gang? lol
with rest, meds, lots of P.T., anything is possible. of course, there is never a guarantee , but have faith. my cricket is a miracle and we have lots more in here.
and the others are right, this needs to be moved, so many more will post. i just happened to see it .
good luck to you and angel and you are in my prayers.
hugs,
connie and cricket
auggiebuff

Post by auggiebuff »

Hi Everyone,
I think I now am officially joined so everyone can see this.
I hope so.
Angel is one of my eight cocker spaniels. They are all show/therapy dogs and work with me.
Actually the vet thought that Angel had a GOOD prognosis, more than 75% chance of back to normal. But she is anything but back to normal.
She is dragging her rear paws. But it is only one week after surgery today.
The vet said if she regresses to bring her in immediately but there has been no change either way.
This is my little star taken recently.
Michelle
Attachments
Angelcrop.jpg
Paul Coover

Post by Paul Coover »

Great picture!
With this stuff, patience is both the most important thing as well as the most difficult thing to have. Have patience! SOme dogs recover quickly, some don't. It will require much resolve from you.

A good, positive attitude is very important. Your Angel will feed off of your attitude, so keeping positive will help in recovery. If you want some positive energy, read about our Riley. He was down, but recovered.

www.handicappedpets.com/gallery/riley11/

Good luck!
Weinerdogs Rule!
-Paul Coover
http://www.myspace.com/paulcoover

Hello from Kebo, Riley, Willy, Johanna, Pork Chop, Auggie, Buddy, Sadie & Spartacus.

We miss you Pedro...
auggiebuff

Post by auggiebuff »

Thanks Paul.
Riley's story is amazing.
Angel is whining now to come out of her crate. It's such a procedure to get her in and out I am nervous. I have to go out with the others in one hour so I only want to disturb her once.
In answer to some of your asking if Angel can urinate, she cant squat like she used to but when I put the towel under her belly she urinates. And her crate isnt wet so I guess that she's okay there.
She does have poop accidents, just little ones,,,she was always the type of dog who went poop when she wanted to go and endless walking.
Thanks
Michelle
connie

Post by connie »

hi again,
i know how they can whine wanting out of crate. my cricket had NEVER, EVER, been inside one till he had this surgery. when i got him home , i followed vets orders, crate rest completely for 6 weeks. he whined, howled, was so loud, neighbors thought i was hurting him. lol. it was the hardest thing i ever did in my life, but it paid off, he recovered. he just had to heal. he slept in my bed for years, so not getting there again was so rough on him. but now he is back in my bed, so i think he forgave me. we have to be strict to get them well. so glad your vet thinks there is so much hope, i was blessed with 2 great ones myself. the one who did his surgery was in another state, and i couldn't afford it. he called me and said" we'll worry about money later, just get him here. he lets me pay that off and he didn't even know me. an angel isn't he ? i call him cricket's hero!
i pray angel will be one here who defies the odds, sure sounds like it to me. whatever you do, don't let her drag herself around, she really needs to be still to heal. and i would check just to make sure her bladder is really empty, don't want an infection. keep us updated, we care here! this site is so special to me, hope it will be to you.
hugs,
connie and cricket>>> he sends angel a slurp!!
auggiebuff

Post by auggiebuff »

Thanks Connie,
Yes, I knew that I must find a forum to help Angel. Her pup Midnight had ITP an immune disorder and if it wasn't for the immune disorder forum, I doubt highly things would have gone as well as they did for Midnight. Today, Midnight has been in the top five agility cockers in the country and holds the breed record for the fastest weave poles.
This is Midnight, Angel's pup, she was 2 when they told me to euthanize her, today she is now 8!!!
No, I don't let Angel drag the paws...I just let her take a step or two when I take her to potty to see what she is doing.
I decided not to take Midnight and Bosco to agility class tonight,,,I was at work today, I run home to let Angel out once but I would be gone tonight 6 hours, too long, We will go tomorrow night, we will only have to be out for 3,5 hours.
I think that Angel needs to know that I home soemtimes even if she has to be in a crate and me on the couch looking at her.
Michelle
Attachments
MACH Midnight.jpg