spinal walk

Neurological Disorders Resources. Treatment and care for pets having pain or trouble walking or standing due to spinal injuries or neurological disorders like IVDD, FCE and DM.
marilynb

spinal walk

Post by marilynb »

I have been readingwhat people have been posting, and I came across "spinal walk" and I am wondering just what it means.

thanks,
Marilynb
connie

Re: spinal walk

Post by connie »

hi,
my cricket spinal walks, even now that he is better, trying to normal walk. it is staggering of the paralyzed legs, unsteady but on all 4's.
i have a video of him spinal walking.
go to www.youtube.com. click on videos , then in search, type in "another walking video of cricket".
that is spinal walking. cricket did great on firm ground or carpet, couldn't so it on tile floors.
hope this helps.
hugs,
connie and cricket
rozzi80

Post by rozzi80 »

How long ago was the video taken? Has Cricket improved any since this video was taken? Do his vets say that this is as good as it will get?
Ledra
and
Beemer, AKA The Mysterious Mr. B!
Dachshund Extraordinaire
connie

Post by connie »

hi rozzi,
it was taken this spring. and yes he has improved so very much.
i plan on taking another this weekend for you all to see. he can run now like the wind. lol. vet check yesterday showed deep pain returning, slowly, but vet said it IS there. it hasn't even been a year yet since his surgery, so we are blessed.
but rozzi, he acts like there is nothing wrong with him, if he never got any better, he would be a happy doggie, he loves life.
will poat new video soon.
hugs,
connie and cricket
FYI

Post by FYI »

marilynb wrote:I came across "spinal walk" and I am wondering just what it means.
"Occasionally a dog that has transverse malacia of its thoracolumbar spinal cord (no deep pain sensation) can learn to "walk" again using the crossed extensor reflex that may still exist in the hindlimbs. Without motor connections to the brain, this reflex is "released" and causes the involuntary motor movements that are frequently observed in the limbs. Through extensive physiotherapy, many of these dogs learn to swing their bodies to get their hindlimbs under them and allow the reflex walking movements to be effectual. This form of walking is called spinal walking and looks a bit "motorized" but serves the function well. Unfortunately many of these dogs are also permanently incontinent. Many owners lifestyles do not allow the time necessary to properly care for incontinent dogs. As a result many of these dogs are euthanized rather than allowed the time to see if they can develop spinal walking abilities."

http://www.dachshund-dca.org/discbook.html
Bendy Kitty
Founding Member

Post by Bendy Kitty »

thank you fo rposting a definition of this! I have never really understood WHAT was going on when I'd read about it, and I couldn't find a good definition aside from a herky-jerky walk.

headbonks and purrs

bendy
In loving memory of Bendy Cute Kitty 9/15/00-4/23/12

Meet the cats at Bendy's Home http://www.alittletlc.com"
Debbie

Post by Debbie »

Hi
Roofus is my 4 year old Frenchie, he is 4 weeks post op. & home for just over 2 weeks.He had 2 Herniated disks & some other trama. He can feel deep pain, some reflex, some superfical pain, lets put it this way, I know he can feel me tickle & scratch, but can't really respond w/ movement....his rt. leg is ridged, his lt. is weak, but getting stronger. Doc at UC Davis said chances are good he will walk again, I just wondered how long it took for your baby? I know every dog is different, & does your dog have control of his body functions? Roofie can get up on all 4 & stand for a pretty long time. I give him physical therpy 2 or more times a day, but I don't have much information on the subject. Do you know of any good books that I can buy to help me on this subject? Also, I am a bit handicapped when it comes to computers. I went to see the video, but could not figure out how to view it?? Any suggestions from all is appreciated.Thanks to all..Deb
Attachments
Roofus.JPG
jerry

Post by jerry »

Hi Connie

I was wondering if you had any other videos I could look at of Cricket Spinal walking. My dog Luna tries to do this but pulls her legs too far foward and ends up on her bottom. Do you know how we could help her to go like cricket?? Any excercises you think will be helpful that would be great.

Thanks
J
connie

Post by connie »

hi,
there should be 3 videos of cricket on youtube.com
in search type in cricket walking. i was going to take another this weekend, but it is raining badly here, ground will be soaked. and i don't let him out in this mess. lol.
as soon as it dries i will make another. i have been working 12 hour days and weekends , time is so limited. will post another very soon.
as for exercises, i just do the bicycle with his hind legs, make him stand on all 4's, i put him in bathtub to help hind legs also.
most of cricket's recovery is thanks to him, he has such a fighting spirit, refuses to be disabled lol.
may your baby get well soon.
hugs from us both,
connie and cricket
Wise Owl

Post by Wise Owl »

For those who are interested in learning massage therapy for your pups I found this book and am using the methods on our dog Luka with much success already in just a couple weeks.

Canine Massage by Jean-Pierre Hourdebaight

It was on eBay for about $11 plus shipping but I could not find it there this morning. It can be bought from Amazon tho.

It has a lot of illustrations and shows all the muscles, tendons, legaments, and bones in a dog's body. It explains what all those do and why. It really helped me to understand fully what is going on when a dog looses the ability to walk.

There are full massage routines and moves shown in full detail and explained fully for recovery from injury or surgery, relaxing massages, massages for dogs in training, ect ect.....

I highly recommend it. It will make your time you spend massaging and stretching your dogs muscles so much for efficient. Our chiropractor was very pleased with Luka's progress this week and told me to continue to do whatever it was that I was doing....

BTW, she stood again this morning for almost 7 mins before she started to get tired....and I started to get sore from bending over...heh.
connie

Post by connie »

great news about her standing. thanks for book info also.
tell that sweetie to keep it up, she will be standing longer and longer as days go by. before you know she will be spinal walking. be perpared to cry tears of joy. i made a fool of myself when cricket started running all over the house. lol
i had to put bells on his collar, he is so fast i have almost stepped on him a few times, always under foot. lol.
good luck, sounds like you got it all down pat!!
a hug to you and the sweetie pie( cricket sends a lick)
connie and cricket
FYI

Post by FYI »

Debbie wrote: I give him physical therpy 2 or more times a day, but I don't have much information on the subject. Do you know of any good books that I can buy to help me on this subject?
https://www.handicappedpets.com/mediawiki/?title=Physical_therapy_for_paralysis