Need info 3 possible problems Vets says Onyx could have

Neurological Disorders Resources. Treatment and care for pets having pain or trouble walking or standing due to spinal injuries or neurological disorders like IVDD, FCE and DM.
sacredcreatures

Need info 3 possible problems Vets says Onyx could have

Post by sacredcreatures »

Hello, I wrote a few days ago about my dog Onyx a retired SAR dog. She is a black German Shepherd 9 yrs old 80 lbs and has something going on with her spine. Vets says she is having nerve problem in the shoulder to middle back area. That is causing her to not be able to walk on her hind legs very well( especially the right one). Here is the three possible dx that he says she could have: Discospondylitis- a infection in the spine, DM- Degenerative Myelopathy, or a Spinal Tumor. The later he says is most likely incurable. Please if anyone has dealt with these. I need info about the care I should do for her. Right now I do not have the money to do all the expensive tests. Sat my Grand Champion Manx was blocked so I had to rush him to a ER Vet. Hes is doing OK so far but I am so upset that my beloved pets are suffering. Back to Onyx. I may be able to afford a back end harness. Has anyone had any luck with those? They are around $40.00 and I do not know how long she will be with us. She is currently on antibiotics( in case its an infection in her spine) and Pred to reduce the inflammation and Cholodin for the nerves. If anyone has any info on Cholodin and if it helps please let me know. The Vet says that she may need to be on Pred most of her life( but in low dose form) and will need to be on Cholodin for the rest of her life. Any info on long term use of these is important. I know Pred is not too good for animals but If the benefit out weighs the risks I'll go for it. So if anyone has suggestions to help her live a good life before I can get a cart please let me know. She means the world to me and I would do anything to help her. Thanks everyone!!!! Deb
Deborah~
&
Grand Champion Sacredpurr's Sundancer
CFA Red Classic Tabby Manx Male

Nikiya's Voodoo Black Magic "Onyx"
AKC Black German Shepherd Female
Retired Search and Rescue Ground Scent Dog
Pam (Riley's mom)

Re: Need info 3 possible problems Vets says Onyx could have

Post by Pam (Riley's mom) »

I don't know firsthand about these conditions but someone on the board should be around soon. In the meantime, try searching the for these topics on this site.
Barbara Boehmer

Re: Need info 3 possible problems Vets says Onyx could have

Post by Barbara Boehmer »

This TEST forum is for testing only. All questions and answers posted here are automatically deleted after a period of time. Please post actual questions and responses under an appropriate category or select the other problems category if it does not seem to fit anywhere. I believe this message has already been reposted in a more appropriate place, so this is more to advise other potential responders not to respond here.
Barbara Boehmer (not a veterinarian, just a fellow pet owner)