My dog slipped a disc today.

Neurological Disorders Resources. Treatment and care for pets having pain or trouble walking or standing due to spinal injuries or neurological disorders like IVDD, FCE and DM.
ssg

Re: My dog slipped a disc today.

Post by ssg »

Hi Toni,

I am very much inspired by your post. Not only because you yourself owned and loved GSD, but also because your precious baby had the same disease that Klause undoubtedly has.

I am not financially able to carry fourth in the diagnostic testing recommended by my vet. Because the X-rays showed significant lumbar spondylosis, I feel at peace with not going forward with further diagnostic testing to also diagnose possible tumar involvement as well as possible disc involvement.

I would love to speak with you further, so if you are willing to e-mail me off the board, I would love to 'speak' with you more then.

I am still struggling with wondering if I have, or am doing enough for my Klaus. If he has spondylosis, then I am resigned to, and am committed to providing him with the best palliative care necessary to allow him to live his life to the fullest possible under the circumstances.

I still need to hear from each of you if you believe I should crate him for six weeks before ordering a cart for him with what I now know, especially if I am not going to continue pouring $$ into further diagnostic procedures. He is definitely depressed, and I believe that the increased mobility the cart will provide him will help to alleviate those canine 'feelings' he has with his current situation. I am trying to express possitive emotions to him, but I am certain he can pick up those subtle feelings of uncertainty I now have with seeing him this way.

My husband and I am still struggling with the bladder part of this. He was incontinent today with fecal material and some urine, and my husband says he was able to express urine while I was at work, but I don't think it was entirely adequate.

Slowly but surely, we are moving toward what we must do to support him at this critical time. It is because of your unselfish support and understanding that I know in my heart that I can do this! I love him, and will be there for him until that time when he can tell me he is ready to go.

Thank you all so very, very much.
Sandy
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

ssg wrote:My husband and I am still struggling with the bladder part of this. He was incontinent today with fecal material and some urine, and my husband says he was able to express urine while I was at work, but I don't think it was entirely adequate.
Dear Sandy,

There is a way to get him to empty his bowels when and where you choose. For a couple of years we have been calling it "poop on demand", the phrase coined by Dianne. If you do that, you do not come home to surprises and it is nicer for the dog because dogs don't like to lie in bed with a mess. Here is a link to the article describing it. Hope this helps! :)

https://www.handicappedpets.com/mediawiki/?title=Bowel_management_in_incontinent_pets
ssg

Post by ssg »

I am finally receiving some much needed help with Klaus. I spoke with a vet I've used for his skin conditions, and he will be supplying me with the much needed catheters. Hooray! He also told me that the two medications one of the other vets prescribed should not be taken together. He's fixing us up with a supplemental regimen and some sort of injection used for horses that's supposed to help with mobility isues. I can't recall the name of it, but will know more tomorrow. He also referred us to an accupuncturist.

This vet was appalled that I received so little support from the vet community over the weekend, and pledged to help us in whatever way that he can. What a breath of fresh air.

I just ordered his cart from Doggon Wheels, and can't wait for it to come. My guess is that once he is able to go outside, he will begin to toilet himself again.

Klaus's right side is weaker than the left, so he prefers to lie on the weak side. When I help him lie on the other, he switches himself back around. Hopefully once he's able to ambulate I won't have to be so concerned with positioning and skin breakdown, etc.

Toni, many thanks for your phone call and taking so much of your time to share your experiences with Ivan. And thanks to each and every one of you for taking so much time to share your stories with me. You each helped me get through the crisis and to see that life goes on, albeit a bit different, and that it, too, can hold quality for Klaus.

Sandy
Cindidoxiemom

Post by Cindidoxiemom »

Would the injections be adequan?
I am not a vet; please consult your vet before making any treatment decisions.

Hunter IVDD Surgery x 2~Walking
Oscar IVDD Surgery x 1~ Paralyzed
Sage and Misty
ssg

Post by ssg »

Yes, that's the one. Have you used it and seen that it helped your pup?
Sandy
Cindidoxiemom

Post by Cindidoxiemom »

Oscar had adequan injections...He is still paralyzed, so I can't say they worked miracles. I will say some I know in the IVDD community swear by adequan. Hope it helps your pup.
Cindi
I am not a vet; please consult your vet before making any treatment decisions.

Hunter IVDD Surgery x 2~Walking
Oscar IVDD Surgery x 1~ Paralyzed
Sage and Misty
ssg

Post by ssg »

Hello everyone,

It's hard to believe that three weeks have gone by since Klaus' hind quarters gave out. But I have good news! Two days ago Klaus began being able to get around better. He is able to almost stand up on the grass, can take a few steps before his back end becomes wobbly. He's even able to take himself outside now to pee and poop!

Because of the partial return of motor function, I'm beginnning to wonder if he had more than one thing going on. The x-rays showed significant spondylosis, and so I stopped with further testing. I'm beginning to think he probably also has something along the lines of a herniated or bulging disc, too. Why else would his ambulation improve?

If this is the case, then I'm concerned that I should have also been keeping him crated all along. Can dogs with significant spondylosis be able to walk better over time? What are your thoughts?

Sandy
Toni

Possible reasons Klause improved? How is he now?

Post by Toni »

Ivan showed some recovery of his legs...He even was able to walk without his cart for several months. I attributed some of it to his acupuncture and to the shock wave therapy, and some to the warm weather and some to the fact he had been using his cart. It supported is abdomen reducing the pressure on his spine when he was up, thus perhaps easing up some of the "inflamation" and "pinching" from the spondylosis. He did finally need his cart again.
I don't know that I would get overly worried that perhaps you missed something or should have done other tests. One could second guess themselves to death with all the tests that are available these days...yet many of them do not give conclusive results and leave a person spending a lot of money chasing after the elusive answer that may never come. If Klause is doing well and having a good quality of life, I would keep doing what you are doing.

Please let us all know how he is doing now.
No matter where you go, there you are.
Brian End

Post by Brian End »

Hello,
We recently (just last week) had a very similar situation happen with our 5 year old german shephard, Maddie. She was fine one minute, then she was crying in pain. When we touched her back end she yelped. Withing just a couple of hours she didn't want to get up to walk and was really crying. Finally, we called the vet. We brought her in the next morning and he thought it was just that she was sore from rough housing with my sister's dog (visiting over the holiday). By that night, she was completely paralized in her hind quarters. We took her back to the vet and he said it could be one of two things: a slipped disc or a FCE. He suggested putting her down but we couldn't do it. He said she had no deep tissue pain so we decided since she wasn't in pain, we would bring her home and try to nurse her and she if she got any better. It has been just over a week and the only improvement we see is that she is much more content and does not look unhappy, although we know she must be considering she can't move around. She still feels no pain and of course can't control her bladder or bowel movements.
Now, we have posted a thread on our situation and you might find a lot of help reading the replies we have received.
First, our vet says that no deep tissue pain is the worst case scenario; so I guess count yourself lucky that your doggie has some pain.
This site has helped with wonderful advice and helpful links. We have had advice on expressing her urine and stimulating her bowels (which our vet also showed us but the additional ideas were helpful). Also, everyone says strict crate rest. Give them time to heel. Our vet loaned us a cart but we aren't using it because we don't want to cause more damage. At first, we wanted to use and thought it was the first thing to get but really, it is something you don't need right away.
Our biggest struggle has been changing diapers and bedding since Maddie weighs 80 pounds. But, it is getting easier to deal with as we get more practiced and with trial and error.
We had to go thru lots of diapers before we finally found the best one in our situation. Also, we do a lot of laundry!
I tell ya, it is frustrating but I look at my dog and the commitment I made and it makes me realize that I'm doing what I have to do and what I said I'd do.
It does get easier as you go, it becomes a part of your routine.
I suggest, and so do many others that have given their advice, that with strict rest, proper care (hygiene and pt), the right meds. and regular vet check-ups, your pet can recover!
We are still hoping for recovery ourselves and sticking with our care. I can symathize with you! It's hard not knowing and seeing our pet in this way. On top of that to be faced with big $$$ to add to the problem. We still haven't taken Maddie in for MRI's and the like because the cost is so high.
I too am so glad we found this site. It has been helpful.
Keep your head up! We are rooting for you and your dog.
ssg

Post by ssg »

Brian,

I had another GS who lived with paralysis for 2.5 years before she 'told' me it was time to leave us. You will know if, and when it is time, and don't let ANYONE tell you otherwise. My latest experience with Klaus is living proof that miracles can happen once deep pain sensation has been lost. Not knowing what has happened with Maddie, and seeing how new this physical insult has been for her, there's still hope!

If Maddie is content, comfortable, and isn't 'telling' you she wants no part of life, then gather comfort in knowing that you are doing what is best for her at this time. And when it's time for you to let her move around again, a cart will definitely bring to her a feeling of purpose and value. These german shepherds love activity, and eventually she will have it again, albeit in a new way!

Sandy

Please keep the faith!
Sandy
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Brian End wrote: Our biggest struggle has been changing diapers and bedding since Maddie weighs 80 pounds. But, it is getting easier to deal with as we get more practiced and with trial and error.
We had to go thru lots of diapers before we finally found the best one in our situation.
Hi Brian,

I would love to include what you have learned about diapering an 80-lb. female German Shepherd in our article on Diapers and Male wraps, if you'd like to contribute. Could you provide the brand name of the diapers, and the size of diapers you found that worked best? If you also want to add any tips on getting them onto the dog, that would be helpful to someone. Thanks so much!
ssg

Post by ssg »

Hello everyone,

This week marks the one year anniversary when Klaus suddenly became paralyzed. I am very happy to report that Klaus is doing great!!! He is still walking, running, and standing without difficulty. When I think about what we went through last year and to see where he is now, I am so very, very thankful for so many things.

Awhile ago, I took Klaus back to each facility where the veterinarians had strongly encouraged me to put him down.I wanted them to see how wrong they had been. I don't know if it'll make any of them re-think how they advise us, but I'd like to think that it will.

I have Klaus today because of this board; because of each and every one of you who reached out to me when Klaus and I were at our most vulnerable.

Thank you, one and all! You're the best!!!
Toni

Post by Toni »

:D CONGRATULATIONS!
I AM SO HAPPY TO HEAR KLAUS IS DOING WELL. A FEW NIGHTS AGO I WAS READING SOME OF OUR CORESPONDENCE FROM QUITE A WHILE BACK THAT SET ME TO WONDERING HOW KLAUS WAS DOING. THANKS FOR LETTING US KNOW.

HOW ARE YOU ALL DOING?
TONI
No matter where you go, there you are.
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

Wow!

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

I am so happy for you both! :lol:
I am so happy also that you took Klaus around and showed the medical profession how he has rebounded. They need to slow down when it comes to 'giving up' on critters (sorry critters) and start, instead, working on finding ways to overcome.
CONGRATULATIONS and soo good to see you again! :D
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
Lethal White Aussies Rule!
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!
http://www.s8.createphpbb.com/lethalwhiteauss/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LethalWhiteAussieRescue/