Sylke Walks

Neurological Disorders Resources. Treatment and care for pets having pain or trouble walking or standing due to spinal injuries or neurological disorders like IVDD, FCE and DM.
JayLu50

Sylke Walks

Post by JayLu50 »

Sylke is doing amazingly well. She is asking to go outside so very, very few oops's in the house. I am still using a sling on her hindquarters to keep her hips straight and to help bear weight for her. She moves both rear legs very well and is starting to raise her tail more and more. It has been 4 weeks since her paralysis - and though I know some of you might not agree with this - she has walked to the corner a couple times with my assistance - and she wanted to go much, much further but I would not allow her. She ambulates very well with the sling and I believe the light exercise is doing her a lot of good. Her attitude is bright and spunky and she is amazing everyone that knows of her situation.
Sylke

Jenny and the girls Sylke, Trinka, Ava and Betsy
Mary and Roxy

Re: Sylke Walks

Post by Mary and Roxy »

That's grrrreat news. I hate being the one to rain on your parade.. I'm usually the type that sees the glass as half full.. buuuuuuut. Roxy had been up and walking, running,for almost 2 weeks. when we decided to go camping. she has always been worried we would go without her, so she used to always follow me in and out of the motor home when I was packing it up. Because I wasn't letting her jump anymore I didn't let her follow me when packing.She escaped and I turned around to see her in the motorhome,Its a pretty big jump to get up the stair..I was THRILLED she had jumped a big jump and she was just fine,,TILLLL we had gotten to the camp ground and the first time she went to get out for a walk, I carry ed her down the steps. we took about 10 steps then she went down. her back legs just up and stopped working again..I had brought her harness along even tho she haddent needed it for a while. so I was prepared. but it was heartbreaking to have that happen.. we cut the trip short, soon as we got home she was back to strict crate rest and a anti inflammatory.. took her about a week and she was up and walking again..Guess what im saying is Just because there doing grrrreat in the blink of a eye it can happen again and its every bit as worry some the second time as the first. I was immediately in tears and feeling helpless again..But that's grrrreat news keep it up Mary
JayLu50

Post by JayLu50 »

Oh thank you and I am fully aware she isn't out of the woods yet. In the house she is contained and when we walk on the street it is level ground, pretty safe. I feel the stroll is definitely helping her regain coordination and muscle control because every time we walk her legs move much better. Keeping her in the sling helps me control her hips so there isn't any sudden and dangerous missteps, keeps her hips aligned so she is walking as normal as possible and also allows me to bear some of the weight for her reducing any potential stressors. And it does her attitude a world of good and I think that is helping her with healing almost as much as anything.
Sylke

Jenny and the girls Sylke, Trinka, Ava and Betsy
Dianne

Post by Dianne »

Leapin' Lizards that is wonderful news...

but a caveat... it is better to err on the side of caution, and continue to be very cautious...then to have a dog that is paralyzed for life... like mine.

Dianne
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Great news for you all,hope she gets well soon.
IT IS OUR RESPONSIBILITY TO LOOK AFTER THOSE WHO CAN NOT LOOK AFTER THEMSELVES.