German Shepherd - IVDD Type II Hansen

Neurological Disorders Resources. Treatment and care for pets having pain or trouble walking or standing due to spinal injuries or neurological disorders like IVDD, FCE and DM.
Blue's Best Pal

German Shepherd - IVDD Type II Hansen

Post by Blue's Best Pal »

Hi-

I just discovered this site and thought I'd post to see if anyone has any input into my situation.

I have an 8 year old GSD that in April was diagnosed with Type II Hansen IVDD as she started to become very ataxic over a month or so. I drove (5hrs each way) to Gainesville Florida to UF and ended up getting her a myleogram (MRI was out of the question due to a prior splenectomy that used metal clamps) and then had surgery. She came out of surgery with no motor function. The neurologist surgeon is Dr. Clemmons and we're all at a loss over why she can't use her hind legs as he was very confident in the entire procedure and her prognosis was good. Since then, we have used some aminopyridine therapy and even free stem cell therapy through Dr. Clemmon's research programs (about five weeks ago) which have all yielded nothing.

I swim her as much as we can in the pool. Both legs move in the pool in a slow cycling motion, although it is a bit wonky, with the right hind much more than the left. I am trying to get them stronger but it's pretty difficult to regain muscle when this is her only really excercise. We have a cart but her legs just drag. When she gets super excited, for example when I throw a tennis ball her right rear does try to move but this hasn't happened in a few months. I think this is due to muscle loss mostly. She has full bowel control, great reflexes, deep pain, and can feel even the slightest touch to her paws like when she's sleeping for example. She does knuckle her paws when i try to stand her up and they still cross in her cart.

If anyone has any ideas to help us it will be greatly appreciated. We just love her to death and it's been very hard on the entire family to go through this. TIA.
critters
Founding Member

Re: German Shepherd - IVDD Type II Hansen

Post by critters »

Although your baby's been disabled awhile improvement can still take place. Could you maybe do hydrotherapy more often? That seems to do VERY well for many puppers.
Blue's Best Pal

Post by Blue's Best Pal »

thanks for responding. I'm trying to get her into our pool every day but I travel for business and we have a newborn so it's a bit tricky.
Tiffany

Post by Tiffany »

Hello,
I also have a shepherd aren't they great? This is just a thought but could it be possible her legs are freezing up due to lack of use? That was one of our biggest problems in his recovery, He did not have IVDD but he lost use to one of his legs for a while. Are you doing range of motion and stretching? I'm sure you are, just thought I would point out the obvious.=-)
We wish you thw bwst of luck!
Eros & Tiffany
Eros & Tiffany
Never lose hope, Miracles happen all the time!