Scottish Terrier (12yrs) paralysed in back legs

Neurological Disorders Resources. Treatment and care for pets having pain or trouble walking or standing due to spinal injuries or neurological disorders like IVDD, FCE and DM.
Sue

Scottish Terrier (12yrs) paralysed in back legs

Post by Sue »

I live in South Africa and a week ago out Scottie became paralysed in her back legs. She underwent spinal surgery but the vet said she only has a 50% chance of recovery. At the moment they say she has no deep pain reflex. He has said we must wait 3 weeks to see happens. Does anyone know of a dog recovering after a longer period then 3 weeks?

We do not want to put our dog down but we both work and I am not sure how people cope with paralysed dogs if they are not home. We work nearby our house so we can visit her during the day but I don't know if this would be ok. We would like to get her a dog cart so that she can excercise before we go to work and after we return home. Because of her age she was not very active even when she could walk basically she just slept all day .
heather

Re: Scottish Terrier (12yrs) paralysed in back legs

Post by heather »

Hello,

I agree 3 wks is a really short period of time. Sammy did not have back surgery and we do not know what caused her paralysis but, she has continued to steadily progress since Dec. 5th (well over 3 weeks ago). The neurologist that examined her two days after she was paralyzed gave her only a 20% percent chance of walking and pretty much zero of recovering bowel/bladder control. After the neurologist began to think Sammy may have had a bad reaction to the epidural (from knee surgery), she raised Sammy's chances of walking to 50%. Needless to say, Sammy walks. The percentages you are being given are best guesses and there is nothing magical about 3 wks.

-Heather
Sue

Post by Sue »

Thanks Heather
We are definately not going to give up

Sue
moo

Post by moo »

I just wanted to let you know DO NOT give up on your dog. If you go to the incontinence/ kidney section and read Recently paralysed cat coping - you will see about my cat. He was hit by a car in august last year and only had what we were told was a broken leg that needed pinning. On further xrays AFTER the op, they found that his spine had been damaged so that the vertebrae had moved upwards slightly. They couldn't tell us exactly what was wrong without further surgery. Which we couldn't afford and wouldn't put the cat through. they advised us to put him down as he wouldn't have quality of life as he had no feeling from his waist down and couldn't walk nor pee/poo. Well I went to see him and he sat up and meowed his head off!! Iknew then that I couldn't put him down and I took him home. Best thing I ever did. In the first week, he got a bladder infection as I wasn't expressing him properly but they put a catheter in and drained all the blood and urine out and wouldn't you know it, he peed by himself!!! A short time later he did a poo by himself. He then got feeling back in his "good" leg. the broken one had the pin out about 6 weeks later and he just kept getting better.

He started to stand up - instead of drag himself around- on 3 legs. And now 7 months later he is still improving and WALKING ON FOUR LEGS about 80% of the time. I know he will continue to improve and while he probably won't be the same ever again, he has adapted and is nearly a normal cat. He has started to jump up onto low objects, he has been climbing up trees for ages now and he even runs.

So don't give up on your best mate. It will and can take ALOT longer than 3 weeks. My cat ended up getting all the feeling back everywhere. So don't listen to the vet when he says thats all it will take. Mine took 7 months so far and will be a while still.
Cindidoxiemom

Post by Cindidoxiemom »

Sue wrote:I live in South Africa and a week ago out Scottie became paralysed in her back legs. She underwent spinal surgery but the vet said she only has a 50% chance of recovery. At the moment they say she has no deep pain reflex. He has said we must wait 3 weeks to see happens. Does anyone know of a dog recovering after a longer period then 3 weeks?
In the world of recovery from neuro damage...3 weeks is a mere blink of an eye. I have personally seen dogs recover 6, 8, and 10 months post op, and I know of others that have recovered up to two years later.
Sue wrote:We do not want to put our dog down but we both work and I am not sure how people cope with paralysed dogs if they are not home. We work nearby our house so we can visit her during the day but I don't know if this would be ok.
That should be just fine. I am single, work full time, and care for 4 dogs including one who is paralyzed. You simply have to work a schedule up. I express Oscar right before I leave for work...again as soon as I come home, and then before bed. If you are able to make a trip home to express during the day...that is wonderful!!!!!!!!!!!! It sounds like you will be able to handle this just fine.
Sue wrote:We would like to get her a dog cart so that she can excercise before we go to work and after we return home. Because of her age she was not very active even when she could walk basically she just slept all day .
Oscar is crated during the day when I am away...he is allowed to roam freely in the evening and over night. I put him in his cart to go outside. Oscar has an Eddies cart. I love it...and would be happy to share my experience with Eddie's carts...
But...I would give this another month or two. You may not even need a cart.
Consider....water therapy (can be done in a tub), acupuncture, physical therapy and perhaps adequan injections.
Three weeks is a very very short amount of time...hang in there...
Cindi
I am not a vet; please consult your vet before making any treatment decisions.

Hunter IVDD Surgery x 2~Walking
Oscar IVDD Surgery x 1~ Paralyzed
Sage and Misty
connie

Post by connie »

hi sue, i have a yorkie mix who had surgery in nov 2005. he went into surgery with 30% and less , no deep pain at all. vets told em to 100% crate rest him, only out to empty bladder and R.O.M on back legs. i did and in a week he was off pain meds and steriods. he started spinal walking early on and 10 months after surgery he started getting some deep pain back. it is not 100% normal,but he is so healthy, happy as can be. runs all over my home and yard. if you didn't know better, you wouldn't know he was disabled, to him he isn't.
3 weeks is too early to tell anything, mine took months. every dog is different. crate rest yours, then start P.T, and i did and still do, hyrotherapy in my bathtub on cricket 3 times a week, water helps.
i am able to come home during day, so i empty his bladder 3 times during day and at bedtime, he never dribbles. if bladder isn't empty yours could get a UTI, infections are nasty.
let us know if we can help more, your in our prayers. give yours time, miracles happen, i own one, he proved his vets wrong.
he had a check up last week, his vet laughed and called him a smarty pants. lol. he would not give up, so i didn't either.
hugs, connie and cricket
Sue

Post by Sue »

Hi

Thanks for this. Dimple is home now she still has no deep pain. I am managing to express her . We have a playpen into which we have put an orthopedic foam mattress to prevent pressure sores. We leave her in this during the day, and I visit her at lunch time. We are taking her for physio every week and have a little dog cart which she uses but only for about 15 minutes 2 or 3 times a day.

She seems happy and really its not a lot of work looking after her. Thanks to everyone for their support

Sue
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Sue wrote:We are taking her for physio every week and have a little dog cart which she uses but only for about 15 minutes 2 or 3 times a day.

She seems happy and really its not a lot of work looking after her. Thanks to everyone for their support
It sounds like you are doing great with the nursing care. It is nice to hear someone say it is not a lot of work for a change. :)

Crate rest following back surgery is standard, and the wheelchair company I dealt with did not want anyone putting a dog in their cart until at least 6 weeks post injury. My dog was on strict crate rest following surgery (spinal fracture). Strict meant even though we had a cart and I was dying to try it, we had to wait. I followed the instructions and waited 6 weeks before trying the cart.

Dodgerslist recommends a minimum of 6 weeks of crate rest following back surgery for IVDD (disk problem). Here is some information on doing crate rest following surgery.

http://www.dodgerslist.com/lit/After_Surgery.htm

Any physiotherapy during the weeks of crate rest should be passive (non-weight bearing). Examples are rubbing (stiumulating) the feet/legs to help the brain remap the pathways from brain to toes, and range of motion such as bicycling the hind legs through their full range of motion to preserve flexibility. Have you thought about trying hydrotherapy after the sutures are removed? Would you like links on how to do hydrotherapy at home?
jojo

Post by jojo »

Keep up the good work with your doggie; ours too is recovering from back surgery; our Sammie ( I wrote earlier about him) was operated on Jan 18th; he is very very slowly beginning to show signs of some feeling in his legs; the doctor said he has deep pain now, and some pushing is evident in his right leg; no bladder control and we try to time the poops. Obviously, no walking; the doctor said to hold off on ordering the wheels.
Hearing all the great news from all of you has us feeling better;
Hanag in there; we now are adjusting, as is he, to his new, and hopefully, temporary, life.