How do I know when it's time to express?

Neurological Disorders Resources. Treatment and care for pets having pain or trouble walking or standing due to spinal injuries or neurological disorders like IVDD, FCE and DM.
poorMJ

How do I know when it's time to express?

Post by poorMJ »

Hi again!

Just to refresh some's memories I have the baby kitten that at first I thought had spina bifida and he had back paralyzed legs.

As he started to get around more I noticed he isn't paralyzed at all but since his back feet and some of his legs are twisted he can't walk properly. It almost seems like he walks on his knees if you compared it to a human. He gets around and he even tries to run. :)

Anyway, I need to know when is the time that he would need to be expressed if this is the case. He is 34 days old today. His other litter mates have been slowly litter training but I have yet to see him go. He sniffs around the box occasionally and I have placed him in it but he doesn't use it. I have set a jelly roll pan out specifically for him to use since he can't get over the lip on the regular box. I have found a few urine spots in the bed they lay in but it's impossible to tell who it's from.

Does mom still clean them at this point in age? He seems very content. He plays, sleeps well and is starting solid food. Are there any signs he'll show that he can't use the bathroom on his own? Will he be in distress.

It's hard because I have taken him to 3 vets, all of which think I should put him down. No vet wants to support me. One did give me a tip though and that was to warm his legs 3 times a days and try stretching them to see if they can return to normal. He wouldn't say anything about splinting. I think splinting would help but I don't know how to do it.

Thanks for any info I can get.
critters
Founding Member

Re: How do I know when it's time to express?

Post by critters »

From Mumpkees:

> It is my 'opinion' if the other kits are starting to use box on their
own,
> this little one should be also. Mom is probably doing a little
'cleaning'
> still, but will soon stop. The 'wet spots' could very well be little
guy's
> bladder 'over spilling' and if she doesn't learn to express ASAP and
mom
> stops cleaning, his bladder will burst and/or she will lose him from a
> serious bladder infection.
>
> I don't have bladder expressing experience but I hope that those who do will
> soon reply to her as to the urgency in learning to express him. If he
is
> not rear paralyzed as originally thought, he could very well be going
on
his
> own, but she needs to express until she is sure that he can void and
> defecate on his own. I would further suggest that she confine kit to
a
cage
> with litter pan and bedding that she can readily see if wet spots (and
> poops) are being made. As we all know, with babies we don't have the
luxury
> of days to figure a health issue out.
>
> These vets that 'strongly suggest' putting a cat or dog down because
they
> don't want to be bothered or don't have the knowledge really irritate
me.
> If the kitten is not in pain or dying, then he has a right to life if
a
care
> giver is willing to learn how to care for the kit's special needs. If
vet
> won't show her, he should be able to refer her to a vet who will teach
her
> how to express.
>
Our Bentley was born with very bent and
twisted
> legs and a left rear foot that faced to the ceiling. My Lee sat with him in
> her lap and just massaged the foot and did range of motion exercises.
We
> didn't splint Bentley's legs because he was able to get them up under
him
> and once he and Lee got the left foot to face towards the floor, he
did
> fine. I would think with range of motion exercises and strengthenly
play
> (kicks against a hand gently pushing) and interaction with his
littermates,
> chances are good that he will be able to get his feet up under him.
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

From Bendy:

Bendy says she's swamped with work, but she said to post her website http://www.alittletlc.com/ for you, the expressing page http://www.handicappedpets.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=Express_a_dog_or_cat, with special attention to Bendy's Mimosa (silver-gray kitty) being expressed.
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

If it were me, I'd give the baby a diet a little higher in vitamin D and calcium, in case of rickets, and express until proven it wasn't necessary. I'd work the little legs, like Mumpkees said, and splint if I could find a way to do it that wasn't too uncomfortable for the baby. I wouldn't splint for too long in any given day, but I'd see what happened, and I'd go from there.
Diana R.

Post by Diana R. »

I think I told you before that this little guy has the same back leg deformities as my cat Rupert. Since he is not paralyzed I bet he is going on his own. To be on the safe side, rather than "express" him, I would try stimulating the area by rubbing with a wash cloth to make sure he is going. I know with my cat Simon who has paralyzed back legs and is incontinent I had to express him about 5 times a day when he was a few months old. I have used the other method of just rubbing the area to get them to go with my cat Glory when she was younger who does go on her own on newspapers. Where are you? I know some very good orthopedic vets in the Denver metro area who may be able to give advice on what if anything you should do in terms of straightening his legs. Even if you can do nothing with his legs don't sweat it and don't listen to those vets who tell you to euthanize. I am sure he is happy and doesn't know he is any different. Diana R.
amyd

Post by amyd »

We have an incontinent doggie. She's in diapers. She is perfectly normal otherwise - the best personality I could ask for. When we first discovered her problem - which is some kind of birth defect - she has no sensation in her bottom area/tail/bladder, but she can walk, run, play just fine. Our vet, though without much experience in how to cope/deal with incontinence, does show his compassion and empathy. He is supportive of our care for her. That's the kind of vet you need to find - not one who just automatically seeks to euthanize because of a problem of inconvenience, which is really, to me, what incontinence is. We have good days and bad days. Some days, I am really frustrated by the routine and wonder if I can keep it up. Other days, I think, geez, Amy, you are being so selfish. It only takes a little bit of your time to take care of this helpless animal that God has placed in my life. If you are considering euthanizing, please post your pet on the rescue forum - there are people out there reading who are able to care for special needs pets. I wish you luck. Amy