FCE - Bunny Hopping

Neurological Disorders Resources. Treatment and care for pets having pain or trouble walking or standing due to spinal injuries or neurological disorders like IVDD, FCE and DM.
mwebber

FCE - Bunny Hopping

Post by mwebber »

Shadow is doing well, one month after his FCE, the only thing I find is when he runs (I know, he shouldn't, but he tries), he runs with his back legs together in a bunny hop. Any way to try and get him to stop this? Will he stop doing this himself? His left leg is still weak and I'm sure that's why, just worried he'll get into a bad habit.
Samantha

Re: FCE - Bunny Hopping

Post by Samantha »

Hi. My Shih-Tzu Romni suffered a FCE in Feb '05 and he bunny hops when he runs fast. His backlegs are weaker than his front, one more than the other. At times he has been running so fast (to keep up with his big dog mates) that the back legs stay in one position and he does this rocking horse motion. Of late I have taken to keeping him out of the park when big dogs are around for his own benefit. He has always played with big dogs.. the bigger the better and, as far as he is concerned, nothing is going to stop him pursuing a big dog he wants to play with (he is a typical stubborn Shih-Tzu. Mum has to chase him round the park to put him back on the leash when I see his back legs start to tire and he is a fast little bugger!

Regular acunpuncture has helped improved his gait significantly.

There is a small video clip of him running under one of the other FCE posts.
Cindidoxiemom

Post by Cindidoxiemom »

The "bunny hop" is due to neurological damage. Depending on how bad the damage is...it may improve...it may not.
I am not a vet; please consult your vet before making any treatment decisions.

Hunter IVDD Surgery x 2~Walking
Oscar IVDD Surgery x 1~ Paralyzed
Sage and Misty
Soph_ie

Post by Soph_ie »

It definitely gets better-but it may take awhile. You can help him with gentle massage and encouraging him to keep exercising but it will be down to him. He will stop bunny hopping, or doing it less when he is able to. It might take six months to a year or more but it will get better.
mwebber

Post by mwebber »

Thanks - he's getting pretty frustrated right now, he's a big
dog and is used to going with us for hikes, swimming, long walks, even just running for his ball when we throw it. So I'm a little anxious to see him running normally so he can do those things again and stop moping!
Jane Scott

Post by Jane Scott »

Harley has recovered from his paralysis (episode was May 2006) but he still bunny hops/runs and probably always will. We just watch that he doesn't get too carried away and that he's not running/hopping for a prolonged amount of time. You are right to be very cautious at only one month recovery time. He needs alot more healing time before 'the sky's the limit!' He'll get there though and you'll find that he won't care that he's not doing a 'normal' running gait just so long has he can get from point A to point B. Best of luck. Jane
Harley the "Monkey-boy"