Hydrotherapy

Neurological Disorders Resources. Treatment and care for pets having pain or trouble walking or standing due to spinal injuries or neurological disorders like IVDD, FCE and DM.
azpitadog

Hydrotherapy

Post by azpitadog »

Does anyone know of a place here in Phoenix Az to take a little Doxie for Hydrotherapy. Our poor little girl is going to need all the help she can get after they remove the stiches. Any help would greatley be appreciated.
pmilner

Re: Hydrotherapy

Post by pmilner »

You could call several vets, I bet someone there could recommend.
Murphy's Dad

Post by Murphy's Dad »

Keep in mind, only consider starting any therapies until you vet clears your pet for such activity.

If you can not find a hydrotherapy facility, call local horse training/rehab facilities. They might let you swim him in their pool, they might even have a trainier. If given permission, get a life jacket for him and start out slowly.

When our Murphy was paralyzed 8 years ago due 2 herniated discs, he did swimming therapy at a horse farm that had a training pool. At that time, hydrotherapy for pets had not come into our area. Now I know of at least 3.
always Murphy's Dad (Summer and Kali's too!)
Visit Murphy's World - http://www.mybeagleworld.com/murphy
My Beagle World Founder- http://www.mybeagleworld.com
poohbearsmom

Post by poohbearsmom »

We bought Pooh an above ground pool at K-Mart for $100.00. Of course you still need to get the treatment chemicals and treat it on a regular basis. But with a doxie I'd say a good sized kids wading pool would work and you could just dump it - bleach it - rinse - and refill on a regular basis. You would need to consult with her therapist on proper exercises and treatment. But we were told water therapy is the best - and Pooh LOVES it.
azpitadog

Post by azpitadog »

Well thanks for all the info. And yes I will wait till the Dr says go for it. He did say she will need to do this,once she gets her stiches out. And thats in a week,so I am trying to get a jump start on it.
Cindidoxiemom

Post by Cindidoxiemom »

You can do basic water therapy in a bathtub. Fill the water up to the dogs shoulder...no higher...you want their feet to touch but without the weight of the dog on them.
Encourage your pup to walk back and forth in the tub...
Talk to your surgeon about a rehab facility. I'm sure they can recommend one.
Check also with your University's Vet school...Oscar, my IVDD dachshund had water treadmill therapy at Texas A&M.
I am not a vet; please consult your vet before making any treatment decisions.

Hunter IVDD Surgery x 2~Walking
Oscar IVDD Surgery x 1~ Paralyzed
Sage and Misty
connie

Post by connie »

welcome,
i do cricket's therapy in my bathtub cause otherwise i would have to take him out of state. it works for him. like cindi says, i fill it to his shoulders and walk him. sometimes i get in on other end and work his legs myself. it has really helped my boy.
of course he is small, 11 pounds, don't know how big yours is.
wal mart pools could work also.
hope your baby recovers great.
hugs connie and cricket