Front wheel extension?

This is a moderated forum for support of users of the Walkin' Wheels Adjustable dog wheelchair. Typically questions posted here will be edited, answered, incorporated into other posts, and/or possibly removed.
Forum rules
If you do not see a reply here, please check your Private Messages. If you do not see a PM, please post again so we may notify support staff.

For quick answers to questions about the Walkin' Wheels wheelchair, please call HandicappedPets directly at (888) 811-7387.
CarolC

Re: Front wheel extension?

Post by CarolC »

I am sorry to hear about your dog's condition. Possibly you can still take him for walks. Put his hindquarters in the wheelchair. Put a common nylon chest harness on him (like they sell in every pet store) and support him in front by holding the chest harness. You have have to loop something through the chest harness so you can hold onto it without bending. Then you can go for a slow walk, but he will just be happy to be out, whether it is fast or slow. :angel:
sng28

Post by sng28 »

Dear Carol,

Thanks for your advice but my dog has a mild stroke too and his right fore limb is not working well....vet advise against 2-wheeler...so I'm just keeping fingers double-cross that the front extension will arrive soon...i'm not sure hw is the liver failure affecting him but he is very tempremental and "flips" around in hope to get himself 'bounced' up (from the wall or cupboard) and walk...sigh....
nbregger

Post by nbregger »

Hi Bobbie,

We will post a notice on the forum and on the website when the front wheels are avialable. We are aware of how important this is for dogs with DM.
ddeboard

Post by ddeboard »

I have seen posts on the topic of front wheel extensions dating back to 2002, and as recent as October 2010, with several recommendations to check back to the website for availability in the next month/4 weeks. I've been checking. . . is there any realistic timeline for when the front wheel extensions will be available for the walkin wheels platform? Harmony, our Dalmation is looking forward to longer walks in her walkin wheels. she's starting to knuckle under on her front paws, and we need to take some of the weight off all four paws now. :thankyou:
nbregger

Post by nbregger »

Thanks for your patience with the front wheels. We rec'd the prototype but didn't like the design so they were sent back to make some changes. I haven't heard the estimated time due. Could you try putting the belly belt closer to the chest to help support the front legs?
ddeboard

Post by ddeboard »

I've got the belly belt up close to the buckles, so that's about as far forward as it will go. I'm going to try slanting the struts so the wheels are further forward, so they will take a bit more of the body weight. I've ordered the sling too, hoping it will be a bit more comfortable for her. But between her knuckling over her front paws, and bowing, i'm pretty much lifting her by the front harness to allow her some mobility in the walking wheels.

Thanks for the quick response. If you'd like someone to evaluate your prototype, count me in.

David
FYI

Post by FYI »