Front wheel extension?

This is a moderated forum for support of users of the Walkin' Wheels Adjustable dog wheelchair. Typically questions posted here will be edited, answered, incorporated into other posts, and/or possibly removed.
Forum rules
If you do not see a reply here, please check your Private Messages. If you do not see a PM, please post again so we may notify support staff.

For quick answers to questions about the Walkin' Wheels wheelchair, please call HandicappedPets directly at (888) 811-7387.
Bobbie
Wheelchair Expert

Front wheel extension?

Post by Bobbie »

Are you working on developing a front-wheel extension for Walkin' Wheels? With so many of the dogs that need carts having degenerative myelopathy, this would be a logical step, since it progresses eventually to the front legs and there appears to be no way to counterbalance the Walkin' wheels cart (unless you can move the saddle back significantly?)
Bobbie Mayer
"Corgis on Wheels: Understanding and Caring for the Special Needs of Corgis with Degenerative Myelopathy or DIsk Disease available now!
http://www.corgiaid.org/cart/corgisonwheels
HandicappedPets.net

Re: Front wheel extension?

Post by HandicappedPets.net »

Front wheel extensions should be available in the next six months.
At this time, the cart can be counterbalanced to some degree by angling the rear wheels forward a bit. This moves the center of gravity toward the rear of the dog and takes weight off the front, but can cause the cart to tip over backwards if the dog tries to jump or run -- so it should only be used for dogs with weak front legs.
klchriste

Post by klchriste »

Hi. Any progress on the front wheel extension? I just ordered a cart a couple of weeks ago and I'm worried my dog isn't strong enough in her forelimbs to use it. :( Also, can you explain how to angle the wheels forward?

Thank you!
Kara
BrandyB

Post by BrandyB »

Hi, I would also like to know about the availablility of the Front wheel extension. Our Brandy has DM and I did not do a good job on researching before ordering the rear wheel cart... :( We just received the rear wheel cart, assembled and it is ready to go. I love the product and how nice it was to put together. But, I think she needs to have better support in the front. I will adjust the back wheels per the suggestion here. I took a look for the add on product before reading here... but could not find anything yet. Thanks, any info would be greatly appreciated. Deb, mom to Brandy.
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Hi Deb,

I am sorry you have not received a reply yet. I heard HandicappedPets.com was moving into new office space this past week, they probably have boxes everywhere and are spending all their time trying to get organized. You might just try calling them on the 800 number. I know you need to find solutions for her as soon as you can. You might be able to assist her right now (without a 4-wheel cart) by putting a chest harness on her and a leash and using that to help her if she's weak in front.
foxytango

Post by foxytango »

Any word on the availability of the front wheel extension yet? In addition to the read leg weakness, my 17 year old dog's front legs are getting weaker and she can't balance too well, but I think she has enough drive to walk if she had the full body support. Having the front wheel extension to support most of her weight while she tries to walk would be of tremendous help in getting her some exercise. I can get her to somewhat walk if I put on her Ruffwear harness as well as her sling, but it's quite a balancing act and I'm in a very awkward position holding her up.
nbregger

Post by nbregger »

The front wheels should be available at the end of September. Keep checking our website at that time. Thanks for your patience.
sng28

Post by sng28 »

Hi,

I'm extremely keen to get the front extension for my dog as he has slipped disc and he seems very wobbly on the wheelchair. The weight on his back is push down to his mid and front body and he tends to sway 1 side very very easily and of course collapse if there' s no one ard to hold the cart. I'm not sure if I've done the stetup wrongly or is he the issue. But i do feel that he is just not assured to move in it and he is so stiff each time i put him on the wheel chair. The front extension will serve as a very good form of assurance for him.

Thanks and regards,
Michelle
nbregger

Post by nbregger »

The fronts legs are in production and should be available within the next month. Continue to check out website.
foxytango

Post by foxytango »

Nancy,

Do you have the pricing for the front wheel extension yet?
sng28

Post by sng28 »

nbregger wrote:The fronts legs are in production and should be available within the next month. Continue to check out website.
THis is Fabulous!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I look forward to the launch sometime next month! It will be the greatest Xmas gift i can plan for my beloved !
nbregger

Post by nbregger »

Hang in there, we are waiting for our shipment to arrive. Please check the website in a few week. Thanks for your patience. :wink:
sng28

Post by sng28 »

hi! hw's the shipment coming along? my dog is getting really down for being bed ridden for the past mth...i hope to have this extension as a good cheering up device for him...
nbregger

Post by nbregger »

Hi

The Front Wheel Extentions will be available in the next 4 weeks. Hang in there and check our website. I will post on the forum when they arrive.
sng28

Post by sng28 »

Hi,

My 16 yr old boy is diagnosed with liver failure...i've been promising him of his favourite walks each day when he portrays his saddened and bored expressions. However, i wont be able to fulfil my promises unless the front extension is available soon.... I hope he will be in time for the extension's arrival.......