Great video!

This is a moderated forum for support of users of the Walkin' Wheels Adjustable dog wheelchair. Typically questions posted here will be edited, answered, incorporated into other posts, and/or possibly removed.
Forum rules
If you do not see a reply here, please check your Private Messages. If you do not see a PM, please post again so we may notify support staff.

For quick answers to questions about the Walkin' Wheels wheelchair, please call HandicappedPets directly at (888) 811-7387.
Bobbie
Wheelchair Expert

Great video!

Post by Bobbie »

I just watched the instructional video for Walkin Wheels

http://handicappedpets.com/www/index.ph ... ideos.html

It's a very good video on how to put the dog into the cart- the only thing I'd add is that the way I would do it isn't there- and that is to have the cart leaning forward, lift the back legs in while the dog's front supports his front weight, and then bring the sides of the cart up to the harness. I haven't tried this on a large dog yet, but this is how I would do it on a corgi as you do not need to lift the legs as far up.

However, they show a method I've never seen and like a lot, which is to detach the front of the leg rings, then put the dog in place and reclip them after you raise his back up.

At any rate, both of the methods shown are good- a hint to newbies is to remember, you should not ever have to lift your dog completely into the air to get him into the cart- his front can still carry a majority of his weight while you get him set in the cart.

If you are wondering how easy the WW cart is to put on, this video will show you that even the first time it is pretty simple.
Bobbie Mayer
"Corgis on Wheels: Understanding and Caring for the Special Needs of Corgis with Degenerative Myelopathy or DIsk Disease available now!
http://www.corgiaid.org/cart/corgisonwheels
nbregger

Re: Great video!

Post by nbregger »

There are several ways to get a dog into the cart. The way Bobbie mentioned is easier for me also. If your dog is lying down and already has the front harness adjusted snugly, just put the cart over the dog with the leg rings attached. Get in back of the cart and lift the hind legs into the leg rings and immediately pull the side extenders up to meet the front harness. At that point the dog has his front legs ready to go and clip the bar into the front harness. Now the dog is in the cart. Adjust the wheels so the dogs pads are touching the ground.
markcrobinson
Site Admin

Re: Great video!

Post by markcrobinson »

Thanks!
There are two videos on the page. On the first, Dr. James StClair is using the older style leg rings that do not have the extended clip-on straps, which require more lifting. In the second video, Christina is using the clip-on straps, which are now included with every wheelchair. The method that Nancy is talking about is going to be another video.

Warm Regards to all,
Mark
Mark C Robinson
HandicappedPets.com
For Elderly, Disabled, and Injured Pets; products, services, and support.