best all-terrain cart for large front leg amputee

This is a moderated forum for support of users of the Walkin' Wheels Adjustable dog wheelchair. Typically questions posted here will be edited, answered, incorporated into other posts, and/or possibly removed.
Forum rules
If you do not see a reply here, please check your Private Messages. If you do not see a PM, please post again so we may notify support staff.

For quick answers to questions about the Walkin' Wheels wheelchair, please call HandicappedPets directly at (888) 811-7387.
Cotton

Re: best all-terrain cart for large front leg amputee

Post by Cotton »

http://www.handicappedpets.com/Articles/catcart.html

Carol, Thank you for the prompt reply. I have attached the URL. If that does not work I will copy and paste the text. My email address c.griffin@earthlink.net I am doing everything I can with my limited funds to get Cotton walking again. I just need to get him in the 'upright' position so his legs are in the correct position.

Christa
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Perfect, thanks for the link! Here is the photo referred to. I do not see the photo still on http://www.eddieswheels.com, but it is one of their carts and they still make this kind as far as I know.

http://replay.waybackmachine.org/200602 ... age_3.html

I think a lot of people will tell you cats are often not wild about carts, but I know some will use them. Here is a nice video mentioning cat wheelchairs.

You don't necessarily have to rule out hydrotherapy with cats, some will do it.

nbregger

Post by nbregger »

I think the Walkin Wheels Rear Wheelchair should work out as long as the other front leg is in good shape, especially if he is used to being on three legs. I'm thinking that your dog will still be able to use the back legs even though they are weak, instead of using the stirrups to hold up the paws. If you are considering the Quad Wheelchair, that might be even better for all around support. If you purchase the Walkin Wheels, it does have a 30 day trial period. :thankyou:
BeepBeepLettuce

Post by BeepBeepLettuce »

I don't know about actual legit companies, but my friend made herself a wheelchair for her dog using bicycle tires and some metal frames.
She said that it was important that the wheelchair shouldn't be too light, as it will be next to useless, but at the same time, having a heavy wheelchair would make it difficult for the dog to run. Roughly about half(?) the dog's weight should be the counter weight for the wheelchair.

Now about the wheels, it usually depends if your dog is more active outdoor, or is more of a chill indoor type. For the outdoor type, they would need wheels that are big enough that they can just roll over edges without much trouble.

At least that's what my friend told me.