How does the rear harness support?

This is a moderated forum for support of users of the Walkin' Wheels Adjustable dog wheelchair. Typically questions posted here will be edited, answered, incorporated into other posts, and/or possibly removed.
Forum rules
If you do not see a reply here, please check your Private Messages. If you do not see a PM, please post again so we may notify support staff.

For quick answers to questions about the Walkin' Wheels wheelchair, please call HandicappedPets directly at (888) 811-7387.
MAKAW

How does the rear harness support?

Post by MAKAW »

How does the harness that is provided with the walkin' wheels support the dog? Meaning - where is the pressure on the dog? On the belly? On the Hip sockets?

Secondly, can the harness be left on during the day so that the wheels can easily be attached when we want to go outside? I don't think we could leave the wheels on him because he mostly lays down.

Spanky's problems started with ACL and he's been supported with a rear assist harness for the last 2 years. But now he acts like the harness causes him pain. I can put it on him, but he doesn't want to stand up with it on. He acts like it is causing him pain. In the last couple of weeks, something has changed - it appears that the right hip has dropped or is not aligned.

His front legs and shoulders are strong and he's still mentally in the game. I'm considering trying wheels so as to provide him exercise and freedom to be with the other dogs. However, if the harness is painful for him - this won't be an option.

Thanks for your reply.
Bobbie
Wheelchair Expert

Re: How does the rear harness support?

Post by Bobbie »

There are two available rear supports. One is kind of like a Bottom's up leash- there are padded rings which the legs go into. The other is a neoprene support saddle more like a Walkabout rear support. I couldn't tell you where the pressure goes, though. I think your best bet is calling and talking to Walkin Wheels support and seeing what they recommend.
Bobbie Mayer
"Corgis on Wheels: Understanding and Caring for the Special Needs of Corgis with Degenerative Myelopathy or DIsk Disease available now!
http://www.corgiaid.org/cart/corgisonwheels
SnowyWhiteGSD

Post by SnowyWhiteGSD »

MAKAW wrote:How does the harness that is provided with the walkin' wheels support the dog? Meaning - where is the pressure on the dog? On the belly? On the Hip sockets?

Secondly, can the harness be left on during the day so that the wheels can easily be attached when we want to go outside? I don't think we could leave the wheels on him because he mostly lays down.

I would be very interested in knowing the answer to these questions too. Is the harness 'soft' enough to leave on for easy 'chair' connection? I would be putting a 64 pound dog in the chair myself. The demo video showed two people putting a larger dog in the wheelchair so I was wondering if it was possible for one person to do it alone.

Snowy is a very compliant dog, so I'm sure she would work with me, and I will have help during her 'training period'.

:anyone:
Saving one dog may not change the world, but it WILL change the world for one dog!!
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

I don't know, but welcome back! It's a treat to see your name on the board again. :)
:welcome:

http://www.handicappedpets.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=Engine_hoist_for_a_heavy_dog

This helped me when I had to do it by myself with a different brand of wheelchair. They didn't have Walkin' Wheels in my dog's size at the time. The hoist helped me keep him in a standing position and holding still (instead of trying to walk away) when I had to get him into the cart. You don't have to lift the dog off the ground, just "hook" the harness so he doesn't go anywhere and doesn't fall while you work.
sng28

Post by sng28 »

I'm keen to know this too as my boy has red patches in his under tighs just being on the leg ring for merely 5-10 mins. Will the rear harness be more secured and a better fit to keep the dog in place? As mentioned in my earlier post my boy is lopsided when he is placed in the leg ring and sadly i think i need to wait for the front wheel extension (when launched) before i can make full use of this wheelchair...
nbregger

Post by nbregger »

Rear support system. When properly adjusted the leg rings or harness should support the rear weight of the dog equally. Meaning the rear weight should be distributed equally on both sides of the leg rings or harness.

Pressure would be more under the dog's abdomen, under his pelvic area (not the chest or upper part of abdomen).

The Walkin Lift harness or leg rings can be left on for short periods of time, only if you are with the dog and able to supervise it. When the dog is in the harness, it is meant to be used when you counter-balance the dog's weight by holding up the handles and help him to walk. If you do not do this, then the harness may slip towards his back, if he tries to get up and move on his own.

Is he having more medical issues on his hind end such as hip dysplasia or arthritis? If he is acting as if he is in pain, then in my opinion, he probably is in pain and this is something you need to have your vet determine during an exam, before you purchase a wheelchair.

Kelley