pushing cart from rear

This is a moderated forum for support of users of the Walkin' Wheels Adjustable dog wheelchair. Typically questions posted here will be edited, answered, incorporated into other posts, and/or possibly removed.
Forum rules
If you do not see a reply here, please check your Private Messages. If you do not see a PM, please post again so we may notify support staff.

For quick answers to questions about the Walkin' Wheels wheelchair, please call HandicappedPets directly at (888) 811-7387.
longpants

pushing cart from rear

Post by longpants »

Why is it that my dog will not move forward in the cart unless i am pushing it from the rear - of course, thereby causing me to have to walk/push hunched over?
nbregger

Re: pushing cart from rear

Post by nbregger »

It is normal for the dog to move backwards before forward motion. If the dog is not moving at all, it could be a fitting problem. The best thing to do is take a picture from the side view and the rear view and send it to nancy@hpets.net
After the fitting is reviewed and adjustments are made, it's helpful to use a treat to entice your dog to move forward without pushing or pulling. Some dogs take longer than others for this transition to happen. It also helps to set the wheelchair next to thier bed so they can check it out and not be scared. Some people use a leash as dogs are associated with going for walks. Please call us and we will make a note on your account that you need more time for the trial period. :)
longpants

Post by longpants »

photos have already been sent - fittings seem to be fine - not a matter of moving "backwards" - rather than trying to lay down - moves forward just fine when i
stand behind and push the cart from the rear.

1.has anyone else encountered this problem?
2. is it a "counter balance" issue of some kind?
longpants

Post by longpants »

- that is not the problem - he's a very well trained Service Dog (retired)
it seems to be some kind of counter weight problem that i cannot figure out