What about resting while in the wheelchair?

This is a moderated forum for support of users of the Walkin' Wheels Adjustable dog wheelchair. Typically questions posted here will be edited, answered, incorporated into other posts, and/or possibly removed.
Forum rules
If you do not see a reply here, please check your Private Messages. If you do not see a PM, please post again so we may notify support staff.

For quick answers to questions about the Walkin' Wheels wheelchair, please call HandicappedPets directly at (888) 811-7387.
toby1931

What about resting while in the wheelchair?

Post by toby1931 »

I have a ten year old dog who has an enlarged heart which has taken away her ability to use her back legs. She is still very alert and ready to go if the legs would work. My question concerns the ability of the dog to rest while in the wheelchair. A person is sitting but the dog is standing. This is a concern for me. I know that I can take her out of it but can she rest while in it?
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

Re: What about resting while in the wheelchair?

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

If you like, we can move this to the wheelchair forum. A lot of folks like me have no exp. w/carts, but I would say my gut says no, it would be very uncomfortable. Can you post a pic? :)
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
Lethal White Aussies Rule!
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!
http://www.s8.createphpbb.com/lethalwhiteauss/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LethalWhiteAussieRescue/
Bobbie
Wheelchair Expert

Post by Bobbie »

Depends on the breed... long-backed dogs can lie down pretty easily, short-backed ones can't.
Bobbie Mayer
"Corgis on Wheels: Understanding and Caring for the Special Needs of Corgis with Degenerative Myelopathy or DIsk Disease available now!
http://www.corgiaid.org/cart/corgisonwheels
servicedogroo

Post by servicedogroo »

roo, a lab is not able to rest without being taken out of the wheelchair. She has tried many many times, when she does I jsut take her out fo the wheelchair and let her rest.

gina n roo
SnowyWhiteGSD

Post by SnowyWhiteGSD »

Just an idea: if you have a 'larger' dog why not have a papason pillow or even a bean bag chair that they could 'pull into'. I am going to be struggling with this very same problem once Snowy is wheelchair bound. I am trying to plan for this situation myself so she can nap on her own.
Saving one dog may not change the world, but it WILL change the world for one dog!!
Bobbie
Wheelchair Expert

Post by Bobbie »

One of my corgis often lies on a pillow in his cart. The other never figured it out. But I think if your dog has ever slept on the couch you might be able to teach him to put his front end there.

However, you still should not leave the dog in the cart more than two hours at a time to prevent pressure sores.
Bobbie Mayer
"Corgis on Wheels: Understanding and Caring for the Special Needs of Corgis with Degenerative Myelopathy or DIsk Disease available now!
http://www.corgiaid.org/cart/corgisonwheels
SnowyWhiteGSD

Post by SnowyWhiteGSD »

Bobbie: thank you for the information. I will be reading all the posts I can about wheelchairs, since I am sure that Snowy is close to needing one soon. I am going to measure her today, etc so if you have any helpful hints, please point me in the right direction so I can get a good fit for her the first time.

:thankyou:
Saving one dog may not change the world, but it WILL change the world for one dog!!
bananahead16

Post by bananahead16 »

My paralyzed Min Pin Sparky rests/sleeps while in his Wheelchair with no problem. At first he preferred to have his taller pillow bed to rest his front legs and majority of his weight on while his rear half stayed in his Wheels, but now even his bed that is pretty low to the ground he will do the same to. I'll admit this does look a bit odd, half of him laying on the ground and the other still up to the height of his chair, and I'd imagine that it would look even more odd if he was a great deal taller. If he looks too uncomfortable I will take him out to curl up on his bed without the wheels. I have also found that providing too tall of a pillow for him to lay on, like one that is of equal height to how tall he is standing in the wheelchair, while looks more normal is more difficult for him to be able to get up out of or roll over with his wheels.

I just want to reassure you that if your dog is tired, it will try to find some way to make itself comfortable enough to get the rest that it needs. And as mentioned your dog wouldn't or shouldn't be in their wheelchair all day. Generally while in the Walkin' Wheels it's play and exercise time, and then outside of it is resting, nap or cuddle up time.
nbregger

Post by nbregger »

The Walkin Wheels is ONLY designed for walking, running, standing and not napping. :thankyou:
Bandit-s-Mom

Post by Bandit-s-Mom »

nbregger wrote:The Walkin' Wheels is ONLY designed for walking, running, standing and not napping. :thankyou:
How about doing bathroom business? Will my 14-yr-old Husky Bandit be able to pee and poop while in the wheelchair? Going pee in a stand-up position is kind of believable, but going poo standing up??
:?: :roll: :?:
We would like to buy one but our goal is for the wheelchair to help Bandit to walk and do her bathroom business with ease. Her hips and hind legs are weak. She is in the 6th week recovering from stem cell procedure - still waiting to see result..