Basset Hound/Spine/Disc Injury/Rear Legs NEED INFO ASAP

This is a moderated forum for support of users of the Walkin' Wheels Adjustable dog wheelchair. Typically questions posted here will be edited, answered, incorporated into other posts, and/or possibly removed.
Forum rules
If you do not see a reply here, please check your Private Messages. If you do not see a PM, please post again so we may notify support staff.

For quick answers to questions about the Walkin' Wheels wheelchair, please call HandicappedPets directly at (888) 811-7387.
K4klute

Basset Hound/Spine/Disc Injury/Rear Legs NEED INFO ASAP

Post by K4klute »

Would this be good for an almost 14 yr. old Basset? Ours has a very long back and is approx. 55-60lbs. He is not a healthy Basset as of yet...We are having a rough week...we almost thought we were losing him this week...we are still not entirely sure...we have senior issues, incontenance issues, allergy issues, and quality of life issues. So not sure best spot to post this? He has an injured Spine from 2 years ago...he did recover from this after a year of love/care and the use of the Bottom's Up leash...he was a bit wobbly not perfect, but he walked...we thought of wheels in the past but wanted to reserve this option when we needed it the most...all of a sudden this week his legs stopped working again...they won't even stay in the Bottom's Up leash they go outward so we cannot use it anymore...
It has been 2 years, but we think his spine/nervous system has greatly deteriorated....this past Saturday/Sunday he suddenly got very ill, and peed/pooped through his bed...we have already seen our Vet and have his advice...it has been 5 days, we have been through 100 pads, his legs still don't work, but he seems to have his spirit back...we don't want to give up on him...we will do anything for our dog...will these work for him since his legs won't work anymore? Are they appropriate for his situation? His age/weakness? The wheels look lightweight but are they durable? How do they hold up/support the spine/back? Can the wheels further injure the spine/back if the legs are just dangling there as dead weight? Can you express the dog's urine/feces in these wheels if need be? It looks like they work well for many smaller dogs but not sure about medium sized dogs...we didn't see any video with Bassets...or long backed dogs. PLEASE HELP/ADVISE this is an immediate situation. THANK YOU!
cricketsmom

Re: Basset Hound/Spine/Disc Injury/Rear Legs NEED INFO ASAP

Post by cricketsmom »

Hi K4Klute!
Having no personal experience with carts, I'm hoping for some backup advise from the others here soon, but here's what I do know. It's a wonderful thing for a dog to make it to 14 years old! Kudos to you all, especially for doing so much for him to keep him healthy and happy through the rough spots. I'm glad he has his spirit back. That's the important thing. He's not ready to go if he's still happy 8) . About the carts, for his long back and weakness issues, you could look into a four wheel cart that supports both the front and the back if you're concerned he can't support his front end on his own to pull his back legs along. I'm pretty sure it won't hurt him for his legs to dangle; most are designed to support the legs if needed. Yes, you can express while in the cart, but it probably matters what kind you get as to how easily it can be done. Sorry I can't help more than this. Good luck!
vet tech and pet mom
nbregger

Post by nbregger »

Hi,

I feel that the cart will work well for your dog. He will need the belly belt which is included with the cart for additional back support. His legs should not dangle. The toe pads should either touch the ground or use the included stirrups which hold the legs off the ground if they drag. You will also be able to express you dog easily while in the cart. Best Wishes :)
K4klute

Post by K4klute »

Nbregger,
Thank you for your reply...we have very high hopes that it will work...our basset is elderly and weak but he still wants to go outside and it is extremely difficult to see him not be able to get up and just go like he used to...we still are concerned though that since his legs go out like he is doing a russian split that he will actually stay in the wheels...do you think he will? Again we want to be absolutely sure that we won't do anymore harm to him in his state...Right now we are supporting him with our hands underneath his hind...and we walk with him very awkwardly, and not very far at all, but this is the only way we can get him out and keep his spirits up...Any thoughts you have will be greatly appreciated. Thanks Again.
nbregger

Post by nbregger »

Hi Again,

If you need help getting your dog around now, use a long towel rolled up and place it in front of the rear legs with your
hands holding each end. This might be a bit easier on your shoulders. We also sell the Walk n Lift rear harness which is compatible with the wheelchair. The rear support system should eliminate the split issues.
K4klute

Post by K4klute »

NBregger,
:thankyou: Again...for help and support...we'll give it a try!
walter

Post by walter »

Hi k4klute,

As I am reading your post, I thought you were writing about my dog. I have a basset hound with almost the exact issue. Per your post:
"Right now we are supporting him with our hands underneath his hind...and we walk with him very awkwardly, and not very far at all, but this is the only way we can get him out and keep his spirits up"

Please advise what I can do, if there is any. Thank you.

P.S. His front legs are also very wobbly and he is on steroid right now.
K4klute

Post by K4klute »

Hi,
Our Klute is hanging in there and doing very well. He doesn't seem to mind and he is a miracle and a trooper and he inspires us everyday. He has come a long way. His back legs no longer work but his quality of life still is great. He has the strength to walk down the block and over a street or two with us using the WALKABOUT ...which is a harness that has handles which supports his back legs since they drag. He does this all with just his front legs. We continue to "wheel barrel' him around the house wherever he wants to be. We use a "male wrap' since he has no control over his bowels. It works great! We also use puppy pee pads if we have to leave him alone for a short time. We place these under him with his wrap on incase he has an accident. We do express his bowels however, and usually have no accidents. It is something not everyone may want to do but we wouldn't do it any other way. Our basset is our family...our son and we will do anything for him. We are more than happy to give you any information or help or emotional support. Just know that animals are amazing and with love and support they can do very well. When Klute's legs went out completely it was devastating, and we searched for answers in the hopes of a quick fix...healing takes time so we had to be patient but again, Klute is better than ever. Best of Love Health and Healing to your hound...we understand.
FYI

Post by FYI »

http://handicappedpets.com/www/index.ph ... lings.html
Walkabelly
Walkabelly
Walkabout Combo Harness
Walkabout Combo Harness
Walkabout Harness
Walkabout Harness
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Hi walter,

:welcome:

If your dog is weak in the front legs, did the vet say what is causing that? If the front leg weakness is caused by a disk problem in the neck then I would be very careful moving him about. If he has general weakness from some other cause then you don't have to be so careful about the neck. Dogs that are weak in the front legs are not good candidates for the usual 2-wheel wheelchair, but they can use a 4-wheel (quad) cart or possibly a counterbalanced cart. These do not quite quite as much freedom and mobility as the usual 2-wheel cart but he can get up and move a little instead of lying down all day, and it will save your back. You probably want to call a couple of wheelchair companies on their toll free numbers and ask. If he needs support in the front as well as the back, a standard nylon chest harness will give you something to grab in front when moving him. :angel:
walter

Post by walter »

To K4klute,
First of all, I’m glad to hear that your “son” Klute is doing well. Thank you for all the great information, your support and encouragement dear fellow basset parents. We are being very patient with our “son” and he is extremely spoiled. At the beginning of the month, we thought that it was the end for him when he lost all his mobility, along with all the other senior basset issues on your list and then some other stuff. With lots of work, he has his spirits back and happy. I will look into the different types of gadgets for him to get him moving a little more.

To FYI,
I think that the combo harness will work for now.

To Carol C,
He has been examined by the vet and found that he has no problems with his bones or spine. I have started looking into the different types of wheelchairs.

THANK YOU ALL FOR THE WONDERFUL INFORMATION! I REALLY APPRECIATE IT :-)