Therapeutic benefits of wheelchair.

This is a moderated forum for support of users of the Walkin' Wheels Adjustable dog wheelchair. Typically questions posted here will be edited, answered, incorporated into other posts, and/or possibly removed.
Forum rules
If you do not see a reply here, please check your Private Messages. If you do not see a PM, please post again so we may notify support staff.

For quick answers to questions about the Walkin' Wheels wheelchair, please call HandicappedPets directly at (888) 811-7387.
shariinsd

Therapeutic benefits of wheelchair.

Post by shariinsd »

While looking at the pictures of dogs in the wheelchair who have their legs in stirrups, I've noticed that the legs are moving. I'm not sure if this normal bouncing or a reflex. Does this movement help to develop the leg muscles in the dogs? In other words, if a dog has no use of the hind legs, will using a wheel chair help to to build up the strength in those legs even if all they can do is hang in the stirrups?
CarolC

Re: Therapeutic benefits of wheelchair.

Post by CarolC »

There is something called the crossed extensor reflex in dogs. Basically, when the front legs move in the dog, that sends signals to the hind legs and if the signals are getting through they can cause the hind legs to move in response. If the dog's hind legs are moving, then the muscles are being used to cause the movement even if it is a reflex and not intentional, and that usage is going to preserve some of the muscle in the legs. With a dog like this, I would do physical therapy and help it practice walking with all 4 feet on the ground, in addition to giving it play sessions in the cart.
shariinsd

Post by shariinsd »

Thanks, that is really interesting. So, it would also seem that by just having her walk we are stimulating the nerves in her back legs.
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Yes. I think you did the the right thing to get the wheelchair with a 70-lb 10-year old dog. If it was my dog, I would be continuing the rest and steroids for a while longer. You were getting some improvement with the steroids, that is encouraging.
chiara

Post by chiara »

We have not put our dog's legs in the stirrups because we noticed that she was starting to move her back legs. Now, with all of the increased activity using your cart, (1 or 2 times a day), she has gotten back some strength and movement in her hind legs and can now start to walk a bit and balance where we had thought she was paralyzed. This has been an unexpected bonus of your cart. Thank you!