Need advice introducing a wheelchaire to meko

This is a moderated forum for support of users of the Walkin' Wheels Adjustable dog wheelchair. Typically questions posted here will be edited, answered, incorporated into other posts, and/or possibly removed.
Forum rules
If you do not see a reply here, please check your Private Messages. If you do not see a PM, please post again so we may notify support staff.

For quick answers to questions about the Walkin' Wheels wheelchair, please call HandicappedPets directly at (888) 811-7387.
Mekois4me!

Need advice introducing a wheelchaire to meko

Post by Mekois4me! »

Hello,
Recently my Meko has stopped walking and was seen by the vet and come to find out he has IVDD. He can't use his back two legs and we ordered him a wheel chair from ruff rollin today. I am not sure if he will take to it or not. He is almost 9 and is a 19lbs pekingnese. This is all so new to us on how to care for him now that we are trying to adapt to all the changes so that he is comfortable. I was wanting to see if there is anyone out there that might have any ideas on how to introduce the wheelchair to him at first so that he isn't scared of it and will take to it and relize that it's there to help him. If there is any thing that I can do to help him that would be wonderful is anyone can share. Thanks so much!
nbregger

Re: Need advice introducing a wheelchaire to meko

Post by nbregger »

My advise would be to take it slow with Meko. We advise our customers to start by using the front harness to get him comfortable to the feeling of it. Introduct the cart slowly. Encourage him to take just a few small steps forward and praise him with a good treat (cheese or hotdog piece). The next day do the same but allow more time in the cart and follow up with praise. Good luck with Meko, I'm sure things will work out great. :)
Mekois4me!

Post by Mekois4me! »

Thank you so much, I really appreciate all the advice given. This is all so new to us and we are so fourtunate that he didn't have kidney failure and was a wheelchair canidate. Thank you for people like you that make it possible for our little guys to be mobile again!
chogarty

Post by chogarty »

Hi!

Welcome to the world of handicapped dogs. Your dog is very special, just like our Simon, who is a Shepherd with Degenerative Myelopathy (DM). We live in Ohio and he was diagnosed one year ago December and is still going strong. God Bless you for not giving up on meko because of a handicap. You are fortunate to have a small dog that you can easily lift and manuever into his cart as needed. Simon took to his cart immediately as he no longer has use of his back legs. It has given us new life to see him happy and thriving. For anybody else reading this, the biggest obstacle that we faced was Simon's size/weight at 90lbs and getting him into a cart while holding up his back end. My husband and I devised a wall hanging system that we hang his back end from while putting on his cart. It consists of a 2x4 attached to the wall next to the door to go outside, with a short Rubbermaid closet organizer wall bracket. We then put in the shelf bracket (longest and strongest available) that attaches to the wall bracket and hang him up by his hip sling, spread his legs and slide in the walkin wheels cart. Voila! We can then remove the shelf bracket when it is not needed. Works wonderfully for those times when only one of us is home and needs to take him outside! I hope this helps anyone else out there who is feeling stressed by the challenges a handicapped pet brings into your life. Never give up on a happy, healthy pet!!

Oh yes, another great aid for a dog with a cart is a ramp for the stairs to the back yard. We still assist him down the ramp to make sure he doesn't short cut and get into trouble, but a ramp is much smoother to manuever on, than lifting the cart down multiple stairs.

Best wishes to you!!
nbregger

Post by nbregger »

Thanks for the advise.
I would love to see pictures of this devise. It sounds like it could be helpful for many dogs out there.
carleegirl

Post by carleegirl »

My Carlee was just so happy to be able to be independent again (after 3 months), she took off like a rocket. But I did make sure that I kept her routine as close to normal as possible - ramps, maintaining our walking routine, etc. She established her own new communication with me about when she wants to lay down, when something is in her way. Initially, she did have a few issues with "tip overs;" she'd get going too fast , turn a corner and fall over. It made her very anxious because she would try to get up and couldn't. Scary to see, but I always reassured her "Wait, it's ok, I'm right here, you're fine." I do yell to her to "slow down" as she shoots out the door, chases squirrels and tries to climb trees. Hasn't had a roll over in quite a while. Two years now in a Doggon Wheels wheelchair. Loving every minute of it. Good luck with meko!