front legs tender after using sling for back legs

This is a moderated forum for support of users of the Walkin' Wheels Adjustable dog wheelchair. Typically questions posted here will be edited, answered, incorporated into other posts, and/or possibly removed.
Forum rules
If you do not see a reply here, please check your Private Messages. If you do not see a PM, please post again so we may notify support staff.

For quick answers to questions about the Walkin' Wheels wheelchair, please call HandicappedPets directly at (888) 811-7387.
deirdre

front legs tender after using sling for back legs

Post by deirdre »

After using several designs of very home made slings for her rear legs (no use at all only nerve response), Sable's front "shoulders" are very tender. I keep a store bought sling with handles on her 24/7 in case of emergency and I need to scoop her up. Thankfully, I've never had to do that.
Do you think the wheel chair will be painful for her front legs/shoulders? Someone suggested making the back end with the wheels lower and it would create less pressure on her front legs due to gravity.
Sable is unable to even be in a sitting position so using the sling attatchment to get her in will help, I just don't know how I will keep her front end up.
I'm looking forward to getting the chair assembled and Sable use to the idea; my hope is that her painful front legs will get relief from supporting her body.
Anyone who has suggestions or ideas?
Thanks
deirdre
nbregger

Re: front legs tender after using sling for back legs

Post by nbregger »

Deirdre,
The two wheel cart you are using is designed for dogs with weak or paralyzed rear legs. Front legs must be strong. You should not lower the back wheels. Adjust the wheels so that Sables foot pad is touching the ground. Put Sable in the cart and see how the front harness feels. Make sure the comfort sleeves are attached to the straps. If she wants to lay down, then take her out of the cart and try again later.
deirdre

Post by deirdre »

Thank you so much for all of your advice and suggestions! We got the good word from the vet last night that her muscle tone will increase! I thought once it's gone, it's gone.
My vet was also very absorbed in the catalog I brought with me and I left him more information about Handicapped pets.
I appreciate all of your help.
nbregger

Post by nbregger »

Deirdre,

Thanks for giving our name to your Vet. If you want, we can send him more information plus his own Magalog. Please email me his address and name.
nancy@hpets.net
deirdre

Post by deirdre »

Just got back from visiting family in Memphis and Sable came with me. Visiting involved rotating house to house so Sable didn't use her wheelchair this weekend. Now that we are home in OUR space we will be able to be on OUR schedules and work with her wheels. And I will send the specific photos of her in the chair so you can approve/change her position in the chair.
I have to bring one of the 7 to the vet for shots and will let him know about your offer for information, which he's already shown interest.
Thanks!