Wheelchair for Arthritis

This is a moderated forum for support of users of the Walkin' Wheels Adjustable dog wheelchair. Typically questions posted here will be edited, answered, incorporated into other posts, and/or possibly removed.
Forum rules
If you do not see a reply here, please check your Private Messages. If you do not see a PM, please post again so we may notify support staff.

For quick answers to questions about the Walkin' Wheels wheelchair, please call HandicappedPets directly at (888) 811-7387.
My Dog Nokee

Wheelchair for Arthritis

Post by My Dog Nokee »

Nokee is an eleven year old husky mix. She has bad arthritis in her shoulders and hips. We also found out that her spine from her ribs down is not doing well. I think the best way to describe it would be inflammed as on her xrays it looks fused together and swollen). I am doing all I can think of to help her and one thing I have been thinking about is a wheelchair. She tends to try and put as little weight as possible on her back so most of her front is supporting her and that makes things worse for her shoulders. What I am hoping is that a wheelchair could help support her back so she doesn't carry the extra weight in her front but can still use her back legs and build up muscle. Any advice or suggestions would be much welcomed.
Bobbie
Wheelchair Expert

Re: Wheelchair for Arthritis

Post by Bobbie »

I think she would need a full support wheelchair. But with most you can buy the wheelchair and if she needs front support, add that later. What happens if you try to walk her with a sling, do her front legs do okay?
Bobbie Mayer
"Corgis on Wheels: Understanding and Caring for the Special Needs of Corgis with Degenerative Myelopathy or DIsk Disease available now!
http://www.corgiaid.org/cart/corgisonwheels
My Dog Nokee

Post by My Dog Nokee »

I haven't tried a sling. She can walk, she just can't go very far. We usually only get a few doors down before she is ready to head back. Her front legs aren't great but are in better shape than her hips and back. They would probably work a lot better is she wasn't shifting her wieght forward. Right now I am just researching options like the wheelchair. I worry she isn't getting enough excersise. If I don't take her for a walk she mostly lays around the house all day. I will look into the sling. Thank you.
Bobbie
Wheelchair Expert

Post by Bobbie »

Using a sling will help you to decide if a two wheel cart would help, or if she would need more support. It is pretty hard on your arm and back to use one full time, but it mimics the weight carrying of a cart well enough for you to see how a cart would or would not help. Good luck!
Bobbie Mayer
"Corgis on Wheels: Understanding and Caring for the Special Needs of Corgis with Degenerative Myelopathy or DIsk Disease available now!
http://www.corgiaid.org/cart/corgisonwheels
My Dog Nokee

Post by My Dog Nokee »

Thank you. The sling sounds like a good starting point.