feedback from folks with front end wheels

This is a moderated forum for support of users of the Walkin' Wheels Adjustable dog wheelchair. Typically questions posted here will be edited, answered, incorporated into other posts, and/or possibly removed.
Forum rules
If you do not see a reply here, please check your Private Messages. If you do not see a PM, please post again so we may notify support staff.

For quick answers to questions about the Walkin' Wheels wheelchair, please call HandicappedPets directly at (888) 811-7387.
wordwise@adams.net

feedback from folks with front end wheels

Post by wordwise@adams.net »

Those of you who have a little experience with the front wheel extensions, could you indicate solutions you've discovered to any problems you ran into?

I have most of the front wheels on correctly after some trial and error (directions for this add-on aren't as good as the cart directions). I'm trying to make all the adjustments on the front end wheels for my 50 pound dog. So far the new bars (arms) seem too short, so I can't add the bar that goes in front of the chest to stabilize the cart. If I ask for longer side bars, the under chest/front leg support may then be positioned too far forward. Am I not understanding something?

Also, does anyone have great strategies for getting a wobbly dog into the 4-wheeled cart? Am I just out of luck at times when my dog can't hold himself up on his feet for the time it takes to hook in his back legs?

Thank you!
CarolC

Re: feedback from folks with front end wheels

Post by CarolC »

I used an engine hoist to support my dog. He had a chest harness and I hooked the hoist to the chest harness. It worked to simply hold him in a standing position, or if needed I could lift him off the ground. Basically if you put a plain nylon chest harness on your dog and attach a rope or leash to it, all you need is *anything* overhead to hook the harness to, in order to keep him standing on his front feet.

http://www.handicappedpets.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=Engine_hoist_for_a_heavy_dog
wordwise@adams.net

Post by wordwise@adams.net »

Thanks, Carol C. This is good information. Is it accessible from the main website and I just didn't look well enough?
nbregger

Post by nbregger »

The shorter arms (extenders) is the correct size for your dog. Each extender should measure 20". Once the button is inside the black knuckle, you can press the button out longer by using a pen or pencil. If you need more explanation, please call me at 888-811-7387. Thanks, nancy
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

wordwise@adams.net wrote:Thanks, Carol C. This is good information. Is it accessible from the main website and I just didn't look well enough?
The wiki articles are in another part of the website so not surprising if you didn't come across it. :D Glad you are here and hope it helps!

:violet: