Is the Wheelchair Helping or Hurting?

This is a moderated forum for support of users of the Walkin' Wheels Adjustable dog wheelchair. Typically questions posted here will be edited, answered, incorporated into other posts, and/or possibly removed.
Forum rules
If you do not see a reply here, please check your Private Messages. If you do not see a PM, please post again so we may notify support staff.

For quick answers to questions about the Walkin' Wheels wheelchair, please call HandicappedPets directly at (888) 811-7387.
My Dog Nokee

Is the Wheelchair Helping or Hurting?

Post by My Dog Nokee »

My question is for anyone who has used wheelchairs with their dogs, especially if their dog is arthritic. Nokee has severe arthritis in her hips and front legs as well as inflammation in her spine. I had gotten her some wheels in hopes of her being able to go for small walks to keep active. She is tolerant of the wheels for the most part though a full walk has not happened yet. What I worry about is that I might be hurting her. When she is in the back wheels her hind legs shake badly and afterwards she seems exhausted and doesn’t want to get up. I guess what I want to know is if anyone has experienced anything like this. Is the shaking legs normal? Should I keep pushing her to use the wheels? Any advice is appreciated.

https://www.facebook.com/NokeeGracieNokiaTequila?ref=hl
Bobbie
Wheelchair Expert

Re: Is the Wheelchair Helping or Hurting?

Post by Bobbie »

Arthritic dogs sometimes do have a hard time- especially if they haven't been using their muscles much or if their front is also hurting. One way to get an idea if the cart is hurting is to give her a day's rest, then about an hour before give her pain meds, and see how she does. If she is more willing to walk rested and medicated, then the other times the cart may be hurting her- or the activity itself is what's hurting.
Bobbie Mayer
"Corgis on Wheels: Understanding and Caring for the Special Needs of Corgis with Degenerative Myelopathy or DIsk Disease available now!
http://www.corgiaid.org/cart/corgisonwheels
nbregger

Post by nbregger »

Hi,

I would recommend that you take shorter walks throughout the day. Make sure she is well rested in between walks. If you notice that the front legs are getting weaker, you might need to add the front wheels.
My Dog Nokee

Post by My Dog Nokee »

Nokee can not take pain meds with her current treatments. She was on them but they were not working well enough. She is now on steroids and adequan injections (as well as various supplements and laser therapy). Her front legs are weak and she already tries to put most of her weight on them but her hips seem to be the worst. Before the wheelchair when we would go for our very short walks I was scared that her back legs were going to give out on her. I have not yet tried the belly band that came with the wheelchair. I may try that next.