proper sizing??

This is a moderated forum for support of users of the Walkin' Wheels Adjustable dog wheelchair. Typically questions posted here will be edited, answered, incorporated into other posts, and/or possibly removed.
Forum rules
If you do not see a reply here, please check your Private Messages. If you do not see a PM, please post again so we may notify support staff.

For quick answers to questions about the Walkin' Wheels wheelchair, please call HandicappedPets directly at (888) 811-7387.
makaala

proper sizing??

Post by makaala »

I desperately need some sizing information. My Springer needs one of these wheelchairs asap. The FTF (fold to floor) height is 15” and weighs 47 lbs (53 when normal). The cart wizard shows a WW300 for a dog under 65lbs and height range of 15”-18”. Since my dog is at the lower end of the range is there enough room for a FTF measuring error (say, an inch short) on my part for this cart to fit the dog? The under 65lb carts seem to have 15” being the separating height between models. Would it be better to go with the next size up, over 65 lb cart, because height range in that model is 14”-17” and my dog height will be closer to the middle?? I also wanted the pneumatic tires which CS is not available on the under 65 lb cart. Any input will be greatly appreciated.
Bobbie
Wheelchair Expert

Re: proper sizing??

Post by Bobbie »

I'd call them about it- there probably is some leeway but they'd know for sure and can advise you.
Bobbie Mayer
"Corgis on Wheels: Understanding and Caring for the Special Needs of Corgis with Degenerative Myelopathy or DIsk Disease available now!
http://www.corgiaid.org/cart/corgisonwheels
makaala

Post by makaala »

Bobbie wrote:I'd call them about it- there probably is some leeway but they'd know for sure and can advise you.
Thanks for the reply. CS also told me to call, the problem for me is the big difference in EST and HST and, my job makes it very difficult to call. All I need to know is if its good to have some degree of downward movement in the struts from the dogs FOF measurement. Guess, it would be more like are the height ranges given on each model the actual FOF measurement of the dog? And, is there some degree of adjustment for height in the Leg Rings? Thanks.
Bobbie
Wheelchair Expert

Post by Bobbie »

I'm not sure what you mean by some degree of downward movement in the struts.

But the only difference in heights is which strut they give you- you could ask for both sizes and return the one that doesn't work, I think. (Rather than having to wait for a second shipment.) There are a number of variables for height, including how you angle the leg struts, but you don't want to be forced into the wrong angle to make the cart fit. There is some adjustment in the saddle (plus that depends a bit on the dog's size. I think you'd be safe sending your order with a note about your concern since your dog's size is right on the cusp.

Anyway, I thought you wanted the air-filled tires? That range is 14-17. The weight isn't really an issue- the only difference is that a bigger dog NEEDS the air tires and yours doesn't. If you want the bigger tires go with that cart, and the range should be fine. Air-filled (pneumatic) tires are a good idea if you do off-road stuff as they'll take shocks better.

So either way- either order the 9 inch struts also or go with the next cart up and bigger wheels, which comes with the 9 inch struts (since the wheel also adds height. The only concern with the bigger tires would be if your dog is fairly weak and is likely to do hills in the cart- it will weigh a bit more with the larger tires (though the shorter strut would partially offset the weight difference). EDIT: on second look, its a heavier frame. So instead I'd suggest ordering the regular frame but ask for nine inch struts and 12 inch pneumatic tires (available for $40 extra) and you would have your extra inch of leeway.
You might have to email back and forth a couple of times to get the order right and price set.
Bobbie Mayer
"Corgis on Wheels: Understanding and Caring for the Special Needs of Corgis with Degenerative Myelopathy or DIsk Disease available now!
makaala

Post by makaala »

Bobbbie, thanks for all the input.
Bobbie wrote:I'm not sure what you mean by some degree of downward movement in the struts.
I was wondering if downward adjustment is needed if the cart were too tall or the dog needs less height to stand on his hinds.

[/quote]But the only difference in heights is which strut they give you- you could ask for both sizes and return the one that doesn't work, I think. (Rather than having to wait for a second shipment.) There are a number of variables for height, including how you angle the leg struts, but you don't want to be forced into the wrong angle to make the cart fit. There is some adjustment in the saddle (plus that depends a bit on the dog's size. I think you'd be safe sending your order with a note about your concern since your dog's size is right on the cusp.

Anyway, I thought you wanted the air-filled tires? That range is 14-17. The weight isn't really an issue- the only difference is that a bigger dog NEEDS the air tires and yours doesn't. If you want the bigger tires go with that cart, and the range should be fine. Air-filled (pneumatic) tires are a good idea if you do off-road stuff as they'll take shocks better.

So either way- either order the 9 inch struts also or go with the next cart up and bigger wheels, which comes with the 9 inch struts (since the wheel also adds height. The only concern with the bigger tires would be if your dog is fairly weak and is likely to do hills in the cart- it will weigh a bit more with the larger tires (though the shorter strut would partially offset the weight difference). EDIT: on second look, its a heavier frame. So instead I'd suggest ordering the regular frame but ask for nine inch struts and 12 inch pneumatic tires (available for $40 extra) and you would have your extra inch of leeway.
You might have to email back and forth a couple of times to get the order right and price set.[/quote]

I do want pneumatic tires but CS said it wasn't availabe in the medium cart. As you suggested I did ask CS if I could order a second set of 12" pneumatic tires with 9" struts and was told it would not fit the cart. So, are the strut sizes different between the medium (under 65lbs) and large (over 65lbs) frames? Thanks again.
Bobbie
Wheelchair Expert

Post by Bobbie »

Oh, well, that's too bad. I guess they are different- so you'd have to go with the over 65 frame to get the larger tires? On the parts list it says you can order the 12 inch pneumatic tires but doesn't say not for the regular frame. (Though the chart shows it for the heavy duty frame only.) You might check on the difference in weight of the cart between the regular and the heavy duty frame.

Also, if your dog isn't standing on his own, have a friend help you recheck the measurement. Springers vary a lot in height and length so it's hard to guess whether yours is likely to be right on or not. If he's standing and isn't squirmy when you are measuring, it's probably good.
Bobbie Mayer
makaala

Post by makaala »

Bobbie wrote:Oh, well, that's too bad. I guess they are different- so you'd have to go with the over 65 frame to get the larger tires? On the parts list it says you can order the 12 inch pneumatic tires but doesn't say not for the regular frame. (Though the chart shows it for the heavy duty frame only.) You might check on the difference in weight of the cart between the regular and the heavy duty frame.

Also, if your dog isn't standing on his own, have a friend help you recheck the measurement. Springers vary a lot in height and length so it's hard to guess whether yours is likely to be right on or not. If he's standing and isn't squirmy when you are measuring, it's probably good.

Thanks again for all the insight, Bobbie. I may just go with the medium cart with the 12” struts and 8” foam tires. Then order another 9” set of struts for the medium frame and 12” pneumatic tires the only thing I can see is that the axle diameter could be larger on the 12” tire and I’d have to drill out the strut to fit the axle. I actually need to order the Quad Cart just in case things go further “south” for my boy. Thanks.
MrsC59

Post by MrsC59 »

Wilson is a 2.5 (maybe) lb. blue male Chihuahua - just turned 4 yrs. old. Just became unable to use his back legs at all this past Thursday - vet said maybe a pinched nerve . . . . any help on proper measuring would be greatly appreciated !

thanx Cathy
makaala

Post by makaala »

MrsC59 wrote:Wilson is a 2.5 (maybe) lb. blue male Chihuahua - just turned 4 yrs. old. Just became unable to use his back legs at all this past Thursday - vet said maybe a pinched nerve . . . . any help on proper measuring would be greatly appreciated !

thanx Cathy

Sorry to hear about your boy. Use the suggested fitting measurements and put the numbers in the "wizard" it will get you pretty close in sizing. You have room for adjustment on the cart.

Tim
MrsC59

Post by MrsC59 »

thanx ! appreciate the quick response.
Cathy
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

I may be wrong, but I had the impression this wheelchair will not fit a 2.5 lb dog. I would call the company and ask about that before ordering.

If not, then there are other brands that can make a tiny cart for you. I recommend getting the absolutely lightest cart possible, even if it is more expensive. Putting a 1 lb. cart on a 2.5 lb dog is like putting a 40 lb cart on a 100 lb dog. Just my :2cents:
MrsC59

Post by MrsC59 »

thanx appreciate all the suggestions . . . . we're probably going to go with someone who actually makes them himself for free to families who can't afford to purchase - he asks for donations if one can or just pay for the materials . . . at this point, we may not even need to use it permanently as our little is starting to show signs of recovery . . . thanx again everyone !