How can we comfort our newly adopted special-needs Dog?

This is a moderated forum for support of users of the Walkin' Wheels Adjustable dog wheelchair. Typically questions posted here will be edited, answered, incorporated into other posts, and/or possibly removed.
Forum rules
If you do not see a reply here, please check your Private Messages. If you do not see a PM, please post again so we may notify support staff.

For quick answers to questions about the Walkin' Wheels wheelchair, please call HandicappedPets directly at (888) 811-7387.
vikkyrunner

How can we comfort our newly adopted special-needs Dog?

Post by vikkyrunner »

My girlfriend and I are adopting an American Pit Bull Terrier. He's about 3 but has been abused in the past and doesn't have much use of his back-legs and he uses a "dog wheelchair" to get around. So he's had some trauma in the past, but he seems to really like my girlfriend, and me too, and my girlfriend loves him, so we're bringing him home on Monday. So, what can we do to help make our dog transition easier to our home? This is the first dog we've ever adopted.
Bobbie
Wheelchair Expert

Re: How can we comfort our newly adopted special-needs Dog?

Post by Bobbie »

Even if you aren't going through a pit bull rescue, look online for them and see what they say for initial socializing at home.

Two things I'd do seem a little contrary- one is keep things calm at first, not have a huge big to-do. Let him get used to your home and the routine. Don't go overboard with new toys and treats. Make sure he has a cozy crate (solid type or cover wire crate) to get away from things and to sleep at night (at least at first; you may want him to sleep with you later but until you are sure about housebreaking a crate at night is a must, and it's also important to keep him safe until you know separation anxiety isn't an issue when you have to be gone.)

The other, though, is make sure he doesn't JUST attach to you and your girlfriend and then not want other people around or other dogs around. Start socializing him so he doesn't become too protective of you or too shy of other people. Being in a wheelchair won't keep him from acting like any other dog. My first wheelcorgi was a little tiny guy who, uncharacteristically for corgis, did not like other dogs, and he went after them despite being a tiny guy in a wheelchair!

I think a breed rescue will have some good advice on how to accomplish both as well as a lot of information about the breed.

As for the wheelchair- make sure you have ramps to get outside. If he will use it anywhere inside, make sure there is room and not a lot of stuff to snag the wheels on. Be patient learning to use it- it will become second nature but that does take a little time. Watch his feet and watch for pressure sores where he sits in the cart and where the yoke or harness goes.
Bobbie Mayer
"Corgis on Wheels: Understanding and Caring for the Special Needs of Corgis with Degenerative Myelopathy or DIsk Disease available now!
http://www.corgiaid.org/cart/corgisonwheels