Getting dog to go potty while in WC

This is a moderated forum for support of users of the Walkin' Wheels Adjustable dog wheelchair. Typically questions posted here will be edited, answered, incorporated into other posts, and/or possibly removed.
Forum rules
If you do not see a reply here, please check your Private Messages. If you do not see a PM, please post again so we may notify support staff.

For quick answers to questions about the Walkin' Wheels wheelchair, please call HandicappedPets directly at (888) 811-7387.
Lfisher

Getting dog to go potty while in WC

Post by Lfisher »

Our dog Daisy is doing great with her new Walkin Wheels, but doesn't seem to feel she can potty while in it. We are still easing her into using the chair, but she doesn't sniff or give any signs that she wants to potty while strapped in. Any ideas on how we can encourage her that it's okay to do her business in her new wheels?
Bobbie
Wheelchair Expert

Re: Getting dog to go potty while in WC

Post by Bobbie »

What was her habit before the wheelchair? Did she go out, squat right away, and then pee, or did she wander around and mark?

Female dog anatomy doesn't always work quite right with the cart- you may want to put a pad or diaper on the cart both to protect the saddle and to see if in fact she is going at all while in the cart. I have a little female foster right now but I express her before putting her in the cart since her pee hits the cart if I don't. THen I put a pad on the cart to catch drips. (Males are easier!) Your girl CAN pee in the cart but unless it is done cleanly you may want to encourage her to go with a sling and then put her in the cart afterwards.

Poop will eventually just happen in the cart- they usually can't hold that very effectively even if they think they should not go in the cart, so be prepared to praise when this happens.
Bobbie Mayer
"Corgis on Wheels: Understanding and Caring for the Special Needs of Corgis with Degenerative Myelopathy or DIsk Disease available now!
http://www.corgiaid.org/cart/corgisonwheels
Lfisher

Re: Getting dog to go potty while in WC

Post by Lfisher »

Thanks, Bobbie. Her pee habits depend, usually a sniffer and marker but after injury more of a squat(plop!) down and get it done girl. Not so worried about poop because she can't really hunch anymore and that's sort of worked itself out, literally.

Think I'll try expressing her or using a sling before going in the chair. That seems to be the best solution. Otherwise she loves her new wheels, but I think she doesn't understand she can go while hooked up yet. But it is great to see her getting more exercise and keeping up with her sister!

Thanks again