dog has no strength in any legs!

This is a moderated forum for support of users of the Walkin' Wheels Adjustable dog wheelchair. Typically questions posted here will be edited, answered, incorporated into other posts, and/or possibly removed.
Forum rules
If you do not see a reply here, please check your Private Messages. If you do not see a PM, please post again so we may notify support staff.

For quick answers to questions about the Walkin' Wheels wheelchair, please call HandicappedPets directly at (888) 811-7387.
alicheval

dog has no strength in any legs!

Post by alicheval »

hi,

my dog has almost no strength in any legs.

he can shuffle his front legs a little. but when we pick him up he gets tired very quickly. he is 15 and a half years old but was fine a week ago and i don't want to put him to sleep just because of his age and inability to walk. i want to make sure i look into other options.

does anyone have experience with dogs that have lost strength in all their legs? and not just the front or back?

any help and recommendations would be greatly appreciated. i'm in the UK so ideally looking for suppliers here.

I have seen some websites but would be great to hear peoples experiences.

thanks so much

Ali
nbregger

Re: dog has no strength in any legs!

Post by nbregger »

Ali,

We do have a Dealer in the UK that stocks wheelchairs and mobility items to help dogs walk with front and rear leg issues:

http://www.handicappedpets.com/uk.html

It sounds like your dog might benefit from a Quad Wheelchair.
alicheval

Post by alicheval »

thank you. i have ordered one but just got back from the vet.

they have said that my dog has lost his interest in life.

she recommended to put him to sleep. but i dont know. the wheelchair wont be here for another 4 days. i feel that may be too long.

does anyone have any experience in this?

i dont know if i should just let him go?

i also dont want to feel regret to think that the wheel chair may have helped?!

any help would be great if you have had similar experiences with older dogs?

thanks
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Hi Ali,

When you have a very senior dog who is in a natural winding down process near the end of a long life, the main benefit of a wheelchair may be to help him simply stand upright, in one place. It is healthy for a dog to be in a standing position, taking pressure off the body from laying down, and mentally healthy for him, too. At that stage I would not really expect the dog to do much walking, if any. His heart and lungs and joints etc. may simply not be up to it, like a great grandfather. I think gentleness is the key during this stage. If you have nice weather and your dog can stand up outdoors in the sun for 20 minutes, it may make him happy even if he does not walk. If you want to try to help him walk a few steps by moving the wheelchair along with your hand, you could do that, but mostly I would just let him kind of stand up, supported. You want to think whether you have 2 people available who can get him into the wheelchair without too much exertion for him.
:angel:
Oomama

Post by Oomama »

Hi
we have a 4 and a half year english bulldog that had emergency surgery for a uterus infection. when she woke up she was paralyzed in her hind end. vet recommended right away to put her down and we did not feel that was right we take her to a natural path vet of acupuncture and chiropractic work now she is having problems with her front end. We have ordered a quad cart and taking her to a diagnostician and trying to keep faith the doctors are very negative but she has perfect health other than being not able to walk. she eats and drinks chews bones and love to go for wagon rides. Has anyone had any experience with this type of thing. Please help!
Sadies Grandma
nbregger

Post by nbregger »

Ali,

See if you can get her up and moving using a rear harness or a towel rolled up the long way and placed in front of her rear legs (if this isn't too painful for her). This will help until you get the wheelchair. Hang in there, things will get better. :D
Oomama

Post by Oomama »

Thanks it is very hard my daughter is 7 months pregnant so it is her husband and myself doing all the lifting. It is just working with negative vets that imply we are being cruel not putting her down. Thank you for taking the time to reply.
Patti Oomama
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Oomama wrote:Hi
we have a 4 and a half year english bulldog that had emergency surgery for a uterus infection. when she woke up she was paralyzed in her hind end. vet recommended right away to put her down and we did not feel that was right we take her to a natural path vet of acupuncture and chiropractic work now she is having problems with her front end. We have ordered a quad cart and taking her to a diagnostician and trying to keep faith the doctors are very negative but she has perfect health other than being not able to walk. she eats and drinks chews bones and love to go for wagon rides. Has anyone had any experience with this type of thing. Please help!
Sadies Grandma
What you are describing does not sound familiar. I especially do not understand why her front end would be affected. I would like to know what your diagnostician says, if you find anything out. Is her eyesight and hearing still normal? Does she have the ability to feel her hind feet or move them a little? Is she able to sit up? Does she still have bladder control? Is she on any kind of medication?
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Oomama wrote: It is just working with negative vets that imply we are being cruel not putting her down. Thank you for taking the time to reply.
Patti Oomama
That's not at all unusual with vets. I've had times when I've wanted to crack their heads together. :twisted:
kimmal

Re: dog has no stre ngth in any legs!

Post by kimmal »

I had two vets diagnose my dog as having a serious disease....said to put her down would be kinder....she wasnt in pain.....i didnt get the need to put her down.....18 months later she is flying around on wheels.....no disease in sight...waiting for funds for an xray to see if she can be helped by new vet.....Vets are not Gods.... good owners are gods......go with your gut....get the wheels xx