my corgi is able to lay down while he's in his wheelchair.

This is a moderated forum for support of users of the Walkin' Wheels Adjustable dog wheelchair. Typically questions posted here will be edited, answered, incorporated into other posts, and/or possibly removed.
Forum rules
If you do not see a reply here, please check your Private Messages. If you do not see a PM, please post again so we may notify support staff.

For quick answers to questions about the Walkin' Wheels wheelchair, please call HandicappedPets directly at (888) 811-7387.
tobytyler

my corgi is able to lay down while he's in his wheelchair.

Post by tobytyler »

My Corgi will rest from time to time and is able to lay down with his rear still supported by the chair. His belly is in the sling and his back looks straight. He doesn't seem uncomfortable. Is this O.K. ?? He will get up when I call him and start walking in the chair again without hesitation. How long should I leave him in his wheelchair???? Thank You!!!! Tobytyler
Bobbie
Wheelchair Expert

Re: my corgi is able to lay down while he's in his wheelchai

Post by Bobbie »

My corgis have all laid down in their carts, but they also like to have a higher pillow to lie on sometimes.
image.jpg
As for how much time- I would give him a break from it every 2-3 hours or so, even if he doesn't mind being in it all day. That lets circulation get going again anywhere the cart fits tightly, and gives him a chance to really stretch out and relax. Being able to lie down in it does mean corgis can spend longer in carts than some dogs, but sores can develop if they spend too much time at a stretch in the cart, even if they will rest on a pillow (and Oliver, shown, would just as soon lie down on the floor as use the pillow.)
Bobbie Mayer
"Corgis on Wheels: Understanding and Caring for the Special Needs of Corgis with Degenerative Myelopathy or DIsk Disease available now!
http://www.corgiaid.org/cart/corgisonwheels
nbregger

Re: my corgi is able to lay down while he's in his wheelchai

Post by nbregger »

Like the picture that Bobbie posted, as long as your Corgi is resting on a pillow bed, it is safe. Otherwise, this would not be a good idea for a period of time.