Question about foot stirrups

This is a moderated forum for support of users of the Walkin' Wheels Adjustable dog wheelchair. Typically questions posted here will be edited, answered, incorporated into other posts, and/or possibly removed.
Forum rules
If you do not see a reply here, please check your Private Messages. If you do not see a PM, please post again so we may notify support staff.

For quick answers to questions about the Walkin' Wheels wheelchair, please call HandicappedPets directly at (888) 811-7387.
Trinity1

Question about foot stirrups

Post by Trinity1 »

We love our walkin wheels chair. It's so good to see our 15 1/2 yr old Dal, Oliver, getting around without falling again. I have a quick question though. He does drag his back feet and knuckle. We did try to put his back feet in the stirrups provided, but he has such a strong urge to move his back legs still that his feet slip through not matter how tight we make the stirrups. He's ok on the grass, but we'd love to take him for his normal walk which means he'd be on the pavement. I'm assuming that you'll suggest getting the booties for him and we are looking in to that. But do you have any suggestions for using the stirrups? Could we be doing something wrong? Do some dogs just not take to using them?

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
nbregger

Re: Question about foot stirrups

Post by nbregger »

The boots are a good solution for knuckling under which will keep the foot from getting scraped. Keep in mind, he will still knuckle under wearing the boots. Another option would be the stirrup/boot kit which will allow your dog to use his back legs but also keep them up when tired: http://www.handicappedpets.com/boot-as-stirrup-kit.html
The best solution would be the bootie splint: http://www.handicappedpets.com/walkin-w ... plint.html The splint holds the foot flat, not allowing knuckling.
Are you putting the stirrup foam tube over the hock area? Also make sure the foot is only 4" from the ground.
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

We've used the splints for knuckling, and they're terrific. Take it from somebody who knows, though, and take care not to let contractures set in. I didn't get Koi (shot in spine) soon enough after his injury, and his foot contracted in the knuckling position. It was a nightmare.
Trinity1

Post by Trinity1 »

I saw the splints and was curious about those. Good to know that they work. Oliver's issue is that he has use of his back legs, but they are getting pretty weak. So as he walks he ends up dragging the top of his feet on the ground. Not with every step, but enough now that he gets sores on his feet. Ugh! Poor guy.

We are going to try the stirrups again and see if maybe we had them on wrong. But I do think we'll be getting the booties no matter what. I'm just so happy that there is something like the wheel chair available to help aging and handicapped pets. He has a hard time getting around, but mentally this guy is all there and still excited about life. :)