Weimaraner being stubborn with new Walkin Wheels Wheelchair

This is a moderated forum for support of users of the Walkin' Wheels Adjustable dog wheelchair. Typically questions posted here will be edited, answered, incorporated into other posts, and/or possibly removed.
Forum rules
If you do not see a reply here, please check your Private Messages. If you do not see a PM, please post again so we may notify support staff.

For quick answers to questions about the Walkin' Wheels wheelchair, please call HandicappedPets directly at (888) 811-7387.
Woowoo110

Weimaraner being stubborn with new Walkin Wheels Wheelchair

Post by Woowoo110 »

We have a 12 year old Weimaraner who has disc problems and has lost the use of her back legs. We bought her a Walkin Wheels wheelchair. We got it last night. She walked in it and seemed ok with it. Not thrilled but ok.

We got home today and took her outside and got her to pee and poop in it. We were thrilled. We've taken her out twice since then and she doesn't really want to walk in it and won't pee again. We know she needs to go.

Are we pushing her too much? Should we go slower with getting her used to it? We just didn't want her to think if she waits long enough we'd give in. She's very stubborn.

Thanks so much!
nbregger

Re: Weimaraner being stubborn with new Walkin' Wheels Wheelc

Post by nbregger »

Hi,

Quite possible that she was in the chair too long the first time. Take it slow and make sure you praise her when she pees and poops in the chair. Try adding the belly belt for the disc problem which will help support the her back.
Woowoo110

Post by Woowoo110 »

Great, thanks so much for responding.

We are going to try just doing little bits of time in the chair for her. So she gets used to it. Then try focusing on the peeing and pooping. Thanks!
nbregger

Post by nbregger »

Please send me a few pictures of your girl in the wheelchair. I can evaluate the fitting to make sure she is comfortable. I would like to see a side view and rear view. Please send it to my email address along with your first and last name the wheelchair was ordered. That way I can attach your pictures to your account.
Keep using Good Treats for positive reinforcement. My boxer was very stubborn, put him in the wheelchair and went about doing something in the yard. Well he got bored just standing there and decided to follow me, I looked around and there he was wagging his tail! :D
nancy@hpets.net