Problems w/front attachment

This is a moderated forum for support of users of the Walkin' Wheels Adjustable dog wheelchair. Typically questions posted here will be edited, answered, incorporated into other posts, and/or possibly removed.
Forum rules
If you do not see a reply here, please check your Private Messages. If you do not see a PM, please post again so we may notify support staff.

For quick answers to questions about the Walkin' Wheels wheelchair, please call HandicappedPets directly at (888) 811-7387.
cdenuno

Problems w/front attachment

Post by cdenuno »

I just got the front attachment, but am having problems:

1. Because my dog lays so high on the front attachment, my dog cannot 'sniff' when we walk. This is the precursor to her urinating, so she didn't urinate on the walk (last night was first day w/front extension). In addition, sniffing is her one joy in the walk. Is there no solution for this?

2. There are five steps up to my front door, and it is nearly impossible for her to pull herself up the steps. My dog is a 80lb Rotty with one missing back leg. With the back only wheelchair, she could lift herself up using her front legs, and then I would lift her backside up. I have nobody to help me lift her up the steps. Are there any options that can help me?
CarolC

Re: Problems w/front attachment

Post by CarolC »

Hi cdenuno,

I am not a wheelchair expert but I've had 2 dogs in wheelchairs. One was in a 4-wheel wheelchair. Have you tried putting a standard chest harness (like a basic nylon chest harness) on your dog to give yourself something to grab helping your dog up the stairs? Also have you looked at the Combo Harness or Help Em Up harness? That way you will have something to grab onto to help your dog up the steps. I don't think I would try to go up the steps with the front attachments on personally, I'd probably remove them and sling the dog up with a harness...?

http://www.handicappedpets.com/walkin-l ... rness.html
http://www.handicappedpets.com/walkin-l ... ses-slings

Also, I know you can't very well make a ramp for 5 steps unless you have a lot of space in front of your door, but you might be able to make a ramp for say, the bottom 2 steps, so you go up the ramp and your dog only has to climb 3, which is a lot easier and safer than trying to make it up 5.

Does your dog have a certain condition, such as degenerative myeolpathy, or is the need for the front attachments partly just age related?

Here is another idea that would only help in a very small number of cases, but one man used a winch to get his heavy wheelchair dog in and out of an upstairs apartment. It's a great idea if you are a fit and healthy man like he must be. I see the video is blocked in the US for music copyright, what a real shame. Maybe you can see it if you are not in the U.S. It is a great video showing an Italian man who I believe is also a mountaineer, and he puts a harness on his dog and attaches it to a winch and lowers his dog out the window from the second or third floor. At the bottom he puts his dog in a wheelchair and they go for a walk. When they come back he gets the dog back up the same way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lw6_T2FewZM