Skin Breakdown

This is a moderated forum for support of users of the Walkin' Wheels Adjustable dog wheelchair. Typically questions posted here will be edited, answered, incorporated into other posts, and/or possibly removed.
Forum rules
If you do not see a reply here, please check your Private Messages. If you do not see a PM, please post again so we may notify support staff.

For quick answers to questions about the Walkin' Wheels wheelchair, please call HandicappedPets directly at (888) 811-7387.
DillonsDad

Skin Breakdown

Post by DillonsDad »

My big boy Dillon (Berner) has developed an irritation on both back leg folds that escalated into ulcers (not too deep, but they must hurt! ) where he is contact with the leg harness. After they heal, I'm going with lambswool to lessen direct contact, but I'm open to any suggestions from someone who has been in this situation. Thanks!
Bobbie
Wheelchair Expert

Re: Skin Breakdown

Post by Bobbie »

Make sure the saddle isn't too tight, first of all.

Also make sure his time in the cart isn't too long without a break to allow circulation. As a big dog that's probably true but try to break it up at least once an hour even if you go on a long outing.

He may be allergic to rubber so the lambswool will likely help. It's also useful because you can see any weeping or blood that shows up on it so can catch an ulcer earlier.
Bobbie Mayer
"Corgis on Wheels: Understanding and Caring for the Special Needs of Corgis with Degenerative Myelopathy or DIsk Disease available now!
http://www.corgiaid.org/cart/corgisonwheels
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Is he using the cart with feet in stirrups or walking? How recently did he get the cart?
DillonsDad

Post by DillonsDad »

Bobbie and CarolC......Thanks for your response(s)! We've had the cart for a few weeks, but have only used it for extended periods (less than an hour) twice. I'll try loosening the saddle and the lambswool and let you know the results.......... Keep rollin'!