Problems with wheelchair fit/what am I doing wrong?

This is a moderated forum for support of users of the Walkin' Wheels Adjustable dog wheelchair. Typically questions posted here will be edited, answered, incorporated into other posts, and/or possibly removed.
Forum rules
If you do not see a reply here, please check your Private Messages. If you do not see a PM, please post again so we may notify support staff.

For quick answers to questions about the Walkin' Wheels wheelchair, please call HandicappedPets directly at (888) 811-7387.
ShilohsMom

Problems with wheelchair fit/what am I doing wrong?

Post by ShilohsMom »

I've been working on this for 3 days and I still can't get it right. This is what I keep getting:
shilohwheelchair1.JPG
This is the fit:
shilohwheelchair2.JPG
This is how I have the leg rings. They sag a little. It seems like the leg rings might be where the problem is. They're holding his legs at an abnormally wide spread. The only way I can get his leg spread somewhat normal is to let the leg rings sag even more, but they're supposed to be tight, not sagging.
shilohwheelchair3.JPG
Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong that it's making my dog fall?
critters
Founding Member

Re: Problems with wheelchair fit/what am I doing wrong?

Post by critters »

Could your baby be choosing to flop like that? I've heard that some puppers, especially smaller ones, are able to lie down in carts.
Bobbie
Wheelchair Expert

Post by Bobbie »

Try removing the under-chest "support" as this is only pulling down on the harness. Then make sure the front harness is adjusted right and on right- there is a video which shows it on a light-colored dog where you can clearly see it. Then try again. The saddle looks fine.
Bobbie Mayer
"Corgis on Wheels: Understanding and Caring for the Special Needs of Corgis with Degenerative Myelopathy or DIsk Disease available now!
http://www.corgiaid.org/cart/corgisonwheels
ShilohsMom

Post by ShilohsMom »

Thanks, critters and Bobbie. Bobbie, by under-chest support do you mean the piece on the front harness that goes around the chest or the belly support strap that's looped around the frame? Critters, no, he wasn't trying to lie down. He was trying to walk and kept falling like that.
nbregger

Post by nbregger »

Loosen up the leg rings 1" on all four sides. This will hold him in better. If he continues to do the downward dog thing in the front, he might need front leg support. (Front Wheel Attachment).
Otherwise, he might just be tired.
ShilohsMom

Post by ShilohsMom »

Thanks nbregger. If I loosen up the leg rings, then they look like the picture that shows the incorrect way. That's the way I had it at first, and it seemed like he could walk better in it that way, but will the sagging leg rings not defeat the purpose of holding some of his weight up off his back legs?
nbregger

Post by nbregger »

The main reason for the leg rings to be tight, was because customers were letting them hang down 6-7". Then when the dog was in the cart, it was too low. The black knuckle should be directly over the dogs hip.
When setting up the wheelchair, the leg rings should hang 2" below the blue frame before the dog sits in it.
ShilohsMom

Post by ShilohsMom »

Ok, thanks. Do I have the belly strap like it should be?
nbregger

Post by nbregger »

The belly belt should be in the middle of the dogs belly. You can use the ropes tucked inside the side bar clips to prevent the belly belt from sliding backwards. See page 20 in the owners manual.
ShilohsMom

Post by ShilohsMom »

A month and a half later and he's still doing the downward dog. Everything fits correctly now. He's just not getting the hang of this at all. I might try the front wheel attachment and see if that helps.
nbregger

Post by nbregger »

Loosen the leg rings a bit, then increase the height. You are very close to a perfect fitting!
ShilohsMom

Post by ShilohsMom »

Thanks. I did loosen the leg rings, but I will try increasing the height too and see what happens. He's having vestibular symptoms today, so I can't do much with him until he's over this episode.