Rescue Pup Needs Wheels!

This is a moderated forum for support of users of the Walkin' Wheels Adjustable dog wheelchair. Typically questions posted here will be edited, answered, incorporated into other posts, and/or possibly removed.
Forum rules
If you do not see a reply here, please check your Private Messages. If you do not see a PM, please post again so we may notify support staff.

For quick answers to questions about the Walkin' Wheels wheelchair, please call HandicappedPets directly at (888) 811-7387.
LisaEpp

Rescue Pup Needs Wheels!

Post by LisaEpp »

My name is Lisa and I am part of a awesome rescue in Southern Maryland called Last Chance Animal Rescue. Just the other day we pulled 'Roo' from a high kill shelter down south. He is missing his front right leg and without further assessment aren't sure if his left leg is functional. I've attached a picture of Roo - can you give me any suggestions on how we can help this happy little guy? My husband and I would like to build him a front leg wheelchair, but we're not exactly sure where to start. My husband is a machinist and can build just about anything with metal - do you have any suggestions?
Attachments
Roo
Roo
nbregger

Roo needs front wheel

Post by nbregger »

Thanks for sending me the sweet little Roo picture. I haven't seen a homemade front wheel wheelchair but maybe you can come up with something after reviewing this link: http://www.handicappedpets.com/front-support-wheelchair
critters
Founding Member

Re: Rescue Pup Needs Wheels!

Post by critters »

Front carts seem to be problematic for some reason. Many such bipods learn to walk upright, like Faith. http://faiththedog.weebly.com/ If you still want to try a homemade cart, you can adapt any of the other homemade cart ideas. When Roo is of adult size, you will probably want to use a "real" commercial cart, if wheels work well for him. :whale:

I wonder if splinting or surgery might help straighten his left arm? I'm not sure how functional it will be as bent as that. Many cats, including one of mine, straightened their bends as they grew, but it's hard, if not impossible, to say whether bends will straighten or bend worse as they grow.

Cute baby!!!