How to attach a leash to Walkin Wheels?

This is a moderated forum for support of users of the Walkin' Wheels Adjustable dog wheelchair. Typically questions posted here will be edited, answered, incorporated into other posts, and/or possibly removed.
Forum rules
If you do not see a reply here, please check your Private Messages. If you do not see a PM, please post again so we may notify support staff.

For quick answers to questions about the Walkin' Wheels wheelchair, please call HandicappedPets directly at (888) 811-7387.
rebsy

How to attach a leash to Walkin Wheels?

Post by rebsy »

Hi. I just got a small walkin wheels wheelchair (rear wheels only) for our pug who has disc disease. I'm not seeing any loop or any part designed to have a leash attached to it. Am I not seeing something, or else how have other people dealt with this? She took to it right away but I live in an area where she must be on a leash so we haven't been able to get much use out of the wheelchair except practicing in our hallway.
Thank you.
critters
Founding Member

Re: How to attach a leash to Walkin' Wheels?

Post by critters »

You could loop it around the metal frame or attach it to one of the 2 lifting eyes on the rear. There are 2 semicircular "eyes" on the rear of the frame where handles can be attached to help lift the cart over curbs and other obstacles.
nbregger

Post by nbregger »

Here is an item you might want to consider since it does have a ring for the leash on the vest harness:

http://www.handicappedpets.com/walkin-small-front-vest and click the color tabs to navigate the measure page.

Most Pug, Frenchies, Doxys use this vest with the wheelchair instead of the front harness that comes with it. :thankyou:
huskymom

Post by huskymom »

I had the same question and realized I had a leash with a coupler to walk 2 dogs. We attach each end to one of the rings on the back and away we go! Using only one of the rings will cause the cart to go in circles
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

:slant: huskymom! Good idea!!
Indy

Post by Indy »

I have a McNabb and I still use her leash with her collar when we walk. None of the walking expectations have changed. She walks to my right and she is to be working on our walks. Which means she is paying attention to me and what I am going to try to get the dogs to do on the walk. Simple stuff like cross the street, or wait. This also helps keep her calmer when we come in contact with other dogs. Because I have her under control, no the wheelchair. Which is actually important with her because she still has a lot of energy.
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

With a border collie type, that sounds really smart! :D :smart: